Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

KKK K14 Turbo "bee-hive" wastegate gasket

(1/2) > >>

dailydubber:
I'm a newbie on diesels and as well as turbos. I plan on putting a turbo on my  '81 Rabbit 1.6 diesel NA. I scored a CY code 1.6TD and it came with a kkk K14 turbo but the individual I got it from said it needs rebuilding. So I bought a rebuild kit for it. I went ahead and  removed the "bee-hive" waste gate to try cleaning it. As I took it off, I noticed that under the wastegate there seems to be some kind of gasket on the wastegate actuator. So that brings me to my question: do K14's have a gasket for the bee-hive wastegate actuator?

dailydubber:
Nothing?
Come on, I know some of you diesel gurus out there know something about this. Spill the beans guys come on.

libbydiesel:
K14's do have a gasket at the base of the wastegate actuator.  I have reassembled 10+ of them and removed the gasket and smeared Permatex Ultra Copper on the mating surface and on the bolt threads.  Never an issue. 

dailydubber:
Thanks libbydiesel. I actually emailed gopopshop and they confirmed that there is a gasket for the wastegate actuator. The reason I had asked this question is because as I took my actuator off, a quarter of the gasket crumbled off. Now gopopshop suggested to make my own gasket out of anything fireproof because they are no longer available. Anyone know where I can get one? If not I'll have to make my own

libbydiesel:
As I mentioned, I've assembled many of them with just a smear of Permatex Ultra Copper (available everywhere) between the wastegate and turbine housing and a bit on the bolts.  I've never had any issue going that route. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version