Model Specific Questions and Info > All Other VW Diesels

VW T3 1.6TD JX - tuning up and maintaining

<< < (2/3) > >>

epowell:

--- Quote from: the caveman on February 07, 2016, 11:19:02 am ---Not sure whether you know or not, but the worse thing about the T3s is how to bleed the cooling system. Do lots of research before driving it after replacing the water pump etc. Libby has a good trick using some plumbing to make a filler pipe stack, works great.

--- End quote ---

Yes, most certainly I will use the "LIBBY BONG" method to bleed the coolant system!

Toby:
You have bigger fish to fry. The corrosion on the water pump and visible in the other pics indicates that you have acidified coolant. That is caused by acid formed from combustion products in the cooling system. Nothing else will do that. Fix it now before you have more problems down the road.

If you still have the old coolant check is "coolant voltage" with a DVM and a piece of brass. Set the DVM on the lowest DC volt scale and hook one lead to something brass. Put both leads (including the one with the piece of brass) into the coolant. You get a "brass/acid" acid battery that way. The voltage read indicates how much acid is in the coolant.

.050 volts DC an you are golden.
.300 volts and you have trouble.
.450-.700 volts and you are toast.

epowell:

--- Quote from: Toby on February 16, 2016, 02:48:41 am ---You have bigger fish to fry. The corrosion on the water pump and visible in the other pics indicates that you have acidified coolant. That is caused by acid formed from combustion products in the cooling system. Nothing else will do that. Fix it now before you have more problems down the road.

If you still have the old coolant check is "coolant voltage" with a DVM and a piece of brass. Set the DVM on the lowest DC volt scale and hook one lead to something brass. Put both leads (including the one with the piece of brass) into the coolant. You get a "brass/acid" acid battery that way. The voltage read indicates how much acid is in the coolant.

.050 volts DC an you are golden.
.300 volts and you have trouble.
.450-.700 volts and you are toast.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Toby...   I have had the coolant out for a long time already so not possible to check it. Yes you are right...  the PO did not have ANY anti-freeze in the coolant at all!  So it was corroding the engine (what an idiot!).

Anyhow I have not updated this thread for ages...  since my last post I have done a huge amount of work - mostly with the help of Andrew Libby and some other great guys over on the Samba.

Here are the highlights:

cam out, checking valve lash

pulling IP sprocket

removing IP

removing glow plugs

IM shaft sprocket off

problems found

oily rear seal

crank sprocket off

ugly mess

working conditions

troubles removing oil pan

injectors out

hacked tranny mount

damaged muffler

turbo welded to exhaust

messy turbo

bent oil return line out

IM shaft out

fried bearing

crank plate off

a look at my turbo inside

oil inside turbo to intake hose

dip stick stuck into turbo from above shows that oil is not pooling inside turbo.

checking oil pump

oil pan off

making IM shaft front bearing pulling tool

new oil rtn pipe comes...  too small ID

...so I drilled it more wide

pulling IM shaft bearing

new bearing installed

im shaft plate ready to install

crank plate ready to install

new FEBI (in spec), ready to install

crank plate installed

im shaft, seal, and plate installed

oil pump installed

oil pan installed

oil return line installed

crank bolt installed (ouch!)

crank and im sprocket

installing new shims

cam ready

cap #1 ready

cam in

second hand turbo found, considering rebuilding and installing

billclark:
Thanks for great documentation... gives newbys i can do it too attitude.

epowell:

--- Quote from: billclark on June 03, 2016, 12:16:59 pm ---Thanks for great documentation... gives newbys i can do it too attitude.

--- End quote ---

Thanks... glad you enjoyed it - I should update!!!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version