Model Specific Questions and Info > MK3 Golf/Jetta and B3/B4 Passat

MK3 AAZ Cluster problem

(1/2) > >>

XPNinja:
Hi. I have an AAZ Golf 3. I bought a new cluster because of the rpm tacho, they said its for AAZ. It works, but not really  ;D . I have taken a video of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=F_cHRnCHISE&feature=youtu.be

vanbcguy:
Can you describe the problem? On my phone the YouTube link doesn't work and my effort level is poor at the moment...

libbydiesel:
The tach doesn't move until he revs it up a bit and then it jumps up and starts working. 

Does it work properly after it is 'jump started'?  I have not owned a stock AAZ, but based on other VW diesels I've owned I would have to say that is fairly normal.  The tach runs off the alternator W-signal.  The alternator needs to be 'excited' before it starts charging and until it starts charging, the tach will not work as the alt is not yet generating a W-signal.  Some VW alts excite more easily than others.  You might lessen the issue with a new regulator/brushes, new alt, or refreshed wiring/connections on the 'blue' wire and ground, but it's also fairly likely that you'll still have to blip the accelerator to 'jump start' the alt/tach.

vanbcguy:
Gotcha.

The blue excite wire to the alternator probably isn't connected or the dash light has failed. The two AAZ vehicles I've owned both excite the alternator fine without revving, I've had those symptoms though when the excite wire wasn't connected. Both the exciter wire and the W tach signal wire share a 2 pin connector on the alternator, check for damaged wires around there to start.

libbydiesel:
It's very common that the red battery light will not go out prior to a little blip on the accelerator.  Regarding tach operation before the light goes out, I've seen both.  Sometimes the tach will work before the alt is excited and sometimes it won't.  On the tachs that worked before the charging light went out, I assumed that it was residual magnetism in the alt that was enough to generate the tach W-signal, but not enough to generate more than battery voltage and so the dash light stayed lit.  While that explanation has credibility, as you say, it could also be an issue with alt or wiring. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version