Author Topic: MK3 AAZ Cluster problem  (Read 8968 times)

September 27, 2015, 10:43:15 am

XPNinja

MK3 AAZ Cluster problem
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:15 am »
Hi. I have an AAZ Golf 3. I bought a new cluster because of the rpm tacho, they said its for AAZ. It works, but not really  ;D . I have taken a video of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=F_cHRnCHISE&feature=youtu.be

Reply #1September 29, 2015, 12:42:06 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: MK3 AAZ Cluster problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:06 am »
Can you describe the problem? On my phone the YouTube link doesn't work and my effort level is poor at the moment...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2September 29, 2015, 01:31:46 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:46 am »
The tach doesn't move until he revs it up a bit and then it jumps up and starts working. 

Does it work properly after it is 'jump started'?  I have not owned a stock AAZ, but based on other VW diesels I've owned I would have to say that is fairly normal.  The tach runs off the alternator W-signal.  The alternator needs to be 'excited' before it starts charging and until it starts charging, the tach will not work as the alt is not yet generating a W-signal.  Some VW alts excite more easily than others.  You might lessen the issue with a new regulator/brushes, new alt, or refreshed wiring/connections on the 'blue' wire and ground, but it's also fairly likely that you'll still have to blip the accelerator to 'jump start' the alt/tach.

Reply #3September 29, 2015, 12:00:51 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »
Gotcha.

The blue excite wire to the alternator probably isn't connected or the dash light has failed. The two AAZ vehicles I've owned both excite the alternator fine without revving, I've had those symptoms though when the excite wire wasn't connected. Both the exciter wire and the W tach signal wire share a 2 pin connector on the alternator, check for damaged wires around there to start.
Bryn

Reply #4September 29, 2015, 12:07:22 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »
It's very common that the red battery light will not go out prior to a little blip on the accelerator.  Regarding tach operation before the light goes out, I've seen both.  Sometimes the tach will work before the alt is excited and sometimes it won't.  On the tachs that worked before the charging light went out, I assumed that it was residual magnetism in the alt that was enough to generate the tach W-signal, but not enough to generate more than battery voltage and so the dash light stayed lit.  While that explanation has credibility, as you say, it could also be an issue with alt or wiring. 

Reply #5January 20, 2017, 10:32:55 am

Spokerider

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:32:55 am »
Old post, I know, but thot I'd keep the "cluster" questions here.............

I have a 1995 Golf and the oem speedo / tach is not working. From googling this problem it looks to be pretty common with Mk3 vw's. I suspect the problem is inside the cluster itself, and not a ground problem, as I think the needle vibrates for a little while when the ignition key is in the "on" position.......supposedly a tell-tale sign of a problem inside the cluster. Also, the odometer works well and counts kms, as do the coolant and fuel gauges.

Has anyone figured out and posted exactly what goes wrong inside the cluster? Is it something that I can fix?

Thanks for chiming in.

Reply #6January 20, 2017, 05:01:33 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 05:01:33 pm »
There are some posts on VW vortex covering exactly what fails, my understanding is it is often one of the gauge stepper motors going bad which causes the controller to get confused. I believe there is a DIY repair available providing you can source another cluster for parts. There are also a few providers out there who can repair your cluster for a fee.

If the mileage displayed isn't all that important I have an AAZ Jetta I'm stripping, the cluster is working 100%.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

Reply #7January 21, 2017, 11:55:13 am

Spokerider

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
Thats what I've been researching too. I think a good used cluster is the way to go.

I'll send you a PM about your luster vanbcguy.
 Thanks for the reply.

Reply #8January 31, 2019, 01:03:34 pm

Timothycrock

MK3 AAZ Cluster problem
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »
Fixed the problem.

Bought a new pump and it needed ATF Red fluid, who wouldve known?