Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI Engine -General Info

1y pump on 1z engine

(1/6) > >>

SDTS:
Two weeks ago I bought a Golf Mk2 with a 1y 1.9D engine, planning to convert it to mtdi later on. But last week it developed the well known cranck pulley problem, sooner than I hoped. So now I quickly need to replace the engine, but I have only 1 or 2 days to do this, and the only engine I can get is a complete 1z tdi engine from a Mk3, I'm picking it up tomorrow. So with only limited time to do the swap I was thinking of putting in the 1z engine, with turbo, using the 1y 020 transmission, and the 1y pump.

Will the engine run using the 9mm 1,9 IDI NA pump, or is this impossible?

I know that it probably won't have a lot of power, but this would be only a temporary setup. When I have more time in a few weeks to do it right I will build a proper mtdi pump and swap in the 02A transmission, but right now I just need something to get to work the next couple of weeks.

Dennis

vanbcguy:
I don't think the 1Y pump will work well with the 1Z. It will have a smaller pump head that won't make as much pressure nor will it deliver as much fuel. The DI engines need fuel injected over a fairly short duration compared to the IDIs.

It will probably be enough to start the engine, but it will be totally gutless.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

SDTS:
Okay, so I will probably have to make the electrical tdi pump to work for now. The engine comes with wiring and ecu, but what else would be needed to make it work? I know I need the ignition key for the immobiliser, but do I also need the gauge cluster and electrical speedometer pickup? And if needed, will the electical pickup fit the 020 gearbox?

RabbitJockey:
it will run but be very slow, but perhaps you could handle that until you can find a land rover pump to swap on?

burn_your_money:
Over here the 1Z does not have an immobilizer. I'm not sure if you can run it without the cluster or not, probably though since a gas cluster will work (which means your diesel one probably will)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version