Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build  (Read 95294 times)

Reply #30June 04, 2013, 06:09:53 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:53 pm »
Very tempting... Bug me next month!
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #31June 20, 2013, 10:11:03 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Re: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:03 pm »
After lots of thought I'm going to go VNT using an Arduino controller. Ordered the Arduino, a Fastscale pressure sensor and some GM style N75 solenoids, still need to sort out what I'm going to do for a TPS.

I'll post my experiences with the controller as I build it - I'm an IT guy by day so really this is right up my alley.

Oh and the Wagon is now fully paid for so all free cash will be going towards the build now. Woohoo!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Bryn

Reply #32June 21, 2013, 04:25:59 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 04:25:59 am »
rover pumps have a tps built in to the throttle plate.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #33June 21, 2013, 05:00:11 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:11 am »
id talk to libby though if you got a pump from him he caould probably make one when he builds the pump. would love to hear more on this controller.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #34June 21, 2013, 08:58:29 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Re: Re: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 08:58:29 am »
id talk to libby though if you got a pump from him he caould probably make one when he builds the pump. would love to hear more on this controller.

Yeah I was planning on that!

The controller is pretty cool. The Arduino for those who aren't familiar is a simple microcontroller designed for hobbyists and the education market. They have a number of analog inputs and digital inputs/outputs. The digital pins can be used for PWM (pulse width modulation) control of "things" - the factory VW ECU controls the N75 solenoid using PWM. Oh and they are CHEAP.

The controller I'll be building will have a solenoid for the turbo (and actually should be adaptable to really any turbo), plus also one for the LDA. It will be using my otherwise unused #3 injector for the RPM signal and then a pressure sensor to measure boost, and a yet-to-be-determined TPS. The controller has a map of boost : RPM and boost : throttle position, much like a factory ECU would.

My goal is to have a setup that can completely fail electronically with no ill effects other than a loss of power - the car would still be completely driveable just like any other mechanical diesel, only it wouldn't be able to close the vanes on the turbo. I'm trying to use as many commonly available parts as possible too (like the GM boost control solenoids).

Bryn

Reply #35June 21, 2013, 09:43:15 am

bbob203

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:15 am »

Yeah I was planning on that!

The controller is pretty cool. The Arduino for those who aren't familiar is a simple microcontroller designed for hobbyists and the education market. They have a number of analog inputs and digital inputs/outputs. The digital pins can be used for PWM (pulse width modulation) control of "things" - the factory VW ECU controls the N75 solenoid using PWM. Oh and they are CHEAP.

The controller I'll be building will have a solenoid for the turbo (and actually should be adaptable to really any turbo), plus also one for the LDA. It will be using my otherwise unused #3 injector for the RPM signal and then a pressure sensor to measure boost, and a yet-to-be-determined TPS. The controller has a map of boost : RPM and boost : throttle position, much like a factory ECU would.

My goal is to have a setup that can completely fail electronically with no ill effects other than a loss of power - the car would still be completely driveable just like any other mechanical diesel, only it wouldn't be able to close the vanes on the turbo. I'm trying to use as many commonly available parts as possible too (like the GM boost control solenoids).

Brilliant ideas! This sounds like something i would very interested in! What vnt are you going to use?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #36June 21, 2013, 10:07:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
Lord Verminaard and I were looking into this a few years ago. He has a couple audrino chips and knowledge. He never is on here anymore but I could contact him. I have a parts list saved in my old browser of internet links to parts. I wasn't going for ease of finding replacements I was going for best part as most of the pieces are Bosch. If needed I could post all the links, but here is the one to adrino.
http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Reply #37June 21, 2013, 10:46:42 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 10:46:42 am »
Yeah the GM solenoids are cheap (under $30) and I found that tons of folks with other turbo cars have been switching to them as they perform better than the various other stock pieces. Google "GM 3-port boost solenoid" and you'll find them all over the place.

That link is the source code / base design I plan on using. :-)

It is actually so crazy simple once I got my head around it. I had a light bulb moment when I looked at the schematic and realized it is just a way simplified version of my pinball machine! Once I got that then it was all over. The fact I can get a complete VNT that bolts on without a ton of work helps too.

Right now I'm planning on a GTB1756VK. There's a guy over on the tdiclub forums selling a package that has the turbo, manifold, oil lines and the turbo converted to a vacuum can already. And it clears the factory Mk3 engine mounts.

Bryn

Reply #38June 21, 2013, 11:03:10 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 11:03:10 am »
The electronic vane control I have been working on will be functionally quite similar to the one linked.  I will be writing my own code with things arranged a little differently, tho. 

My goal is to have a setup that can completely fail electronically with no ill effects other than a loss of power - the car would still be completely driveable just like any other mechanical diesel, only it wouldn't be able to close the vanes on the turbo

I have the exact same priorities.  I love electronics and wiring, I just don't want the operation of my vehicle to depend on that added layer of complexity and additional components.  Using electronic management of non-vital components with a fail to safety is truly an excellent way to go.  I wish VW/Bosch had kept the accelerator cable and mechanical pump and added the electronic on-the-fly timing control to it with a failure mode that was just normal mechanical pump operation.

Right now I'm planning on a GTB1756VK. There's a guy over on the tdiclub forums selling a package that has the turbo, manifold, oil lines and the turbo converted to a vacuum can already. And it clears the factory Mk3 engine mounts.

Running an well intercooled 20psi or so with fuel to match with that turbo and vanes properly controlled will be a very enjoyable level of performance.

Reply #39June 21, 2013, 12:40:16 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 12:40:16 pm »
Hey libby, curious if you have found a TPS solution yet?
Bryn

Reply #40June 21, 2013, 01:22:55 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:55 pm »
Well, yes, but I will reserve further comment until I have done more testing.

Reply #41June 24, 2013, 06:58:24 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »
"N75" valves showed today.  These are GM boost control solenoids used on a variety of turbo GM vehicles over the years.  ACDelco part number is 214-474 and they are available for under $30.  The pigtails I got are technically for GM windshield washer pumps but they are identical to the solenoid connectors.

They can be used as either "normally open" or "normally closed" solenoids so you can really use them for any old thing you might want.  I'll be using one for the turbo and one for the LDA.  In addition to having the Arduino regulate the LDA I am contemplating using my Auber EGT gauge to cut off the LDA if EGTs exceed a safe value.  I need to look over the Auber documentation again though as I don't want it to end up "fluttering" right on the edge of the limit, can't recall if I can set a band or not.

**EDIT: Yup, you can set a pull in and a pull out variable...  Though the other thought I had was using the gauge as a turbo timer to keep the engine running till EGTs dropped below 300 ° which I can't do if I use it for LDA control...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:06:42 pm by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #42June 24, 2013, 07:04:15 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »
Pretty sure it is set to give out a 5v signal when the alarm is activated.

I dig where you are going, mind if I copy you to the T? haha. Really cool ideas you got Bryn, all the best with it.

Reply #43June 24, 2013, 07:07:35 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »
Pretty sure it is set to give out a 5v signal when the alarm is activated.

I dig where you are going, mind if I copy you to the T? haha. Really cool ideas you got Bryn, all the best with it.

Absolutely, copy away... I'm just assembling ideas that are already out there on the Interwebz! 
Bryn

Reply #44June 24, 2013, 07:14:18 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:18 pm »
It is true they are out there, but who has the patience to look and put it all together? ;).

Sooooo much more fun than a muscle car, and for a fraction of the cost eh? lol!

S-PAutomotive.com