S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 135056 times)

Reply #15July 21, 2012, 09:33:37 am

8v-of-fury

jessusss. GET THE CARS OUTTA THERE! Or make sure you have hefty insurance coverage :)

Reply #16July 21, 2012, 01:38:29 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
I've heard other people comment on the difficulty of isolating oil leaks with black engines but I've painted my last 4 engines gloss black and haven't had any issues tracing leaks to their source.    It's always been easy for me to see where the dust is wet vs. dry. 

gray is THE SHIZZ for finding oil leaks.. the 1.5 i built, was gray, and showed every leak. i LOVED it.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17July 23, 2012, 10:03:31 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
I currently have 2 cans of John Deere green in my shed that I didn't know I had. So I think I have found my paint color...unless I have some others that I don't know I still have.

I cannot wait as the machinist should have me the block this week 7-25-12* and I will start going after it. I still have the taps to do all the holes. It is like waiting to open presents.

Reply #18August 22, 2012, 09:16:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I had a huge thing typed up. Now I am pissed as it wouldn't upload correctly and wouldn't let me post it. So short version...
I recieved enough stuff to work on the block more today. Pistons look funny as they are coated with the good stuff. Everything was balanced to 1 gram and the rods all weigh the same. Block is screaming "Billybob loved Charlene." Which when it mates to the Allis Chalmers color trans I hope to have one hell of a bastard child VW.

I will not get the head for at least 2 weeks, but I cannot wait to post the flow bench numbers. It will be exciting.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:23:26 pm by theman53 »

Reply #19August 22, 2012, 10:18:14 pm

8v-of-fury

goddamn, that there motur sure does look puuurdddy!

How'd I do? Could I fit in down there in Holmes County?! lol I wish I could do a tear down and paint. Sucks modifying your daily! lol

Reply #20August 23, 2012, 01:45:19 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Homer Simpson: "....vanilla pissstonnns.....aaaaawwwwwggggghhhhh (drooling sounds)..........

The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #21August 23, 2012, 08:52:05 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
goddamn, that there motur sure does look puuurdddy!

How'd I do? Could I fit in down there in Holmes County?! lol I wish I could do a tear down and paint. Sucks modifying your daily! lol
I think you'd be ok, you have such a purdy mouth that eventhough you probably say aboat, they would love you here, lol.

The solution would be buy another car. Then tear down something and play. Which, don't you have 5 or more of these cars or is that the extended family?

Reply #22August 23, 2012, 08:53:38 am

8v-of-fury

I have 5 daily vw's in my drive right now.. but only one is mine :( lol but sure.. I have to work on them!

Reply #23August 23, 2012, 09:01:10 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I started this with less money, but really wanted something better. Luckily, the machinist has a soft spot for old VW's as this is going to be just a fuzz cheaper than my last build or right at the same. I have a lot of reusable stuff, I think it was less than 50.00 per piston to coat them with both coatings. I will have the stuff together as soon as I check the ring gaps. The machinist said that he went 10 years with no issues with ring end gaps being off. Now sadly he says that it is just about every other box. Mine came with the KS pistons so I am hoping that they did a good job. I can't remember what the spec is, but from 3 years ago I am thinking it was somewhere between .015" and .020" for those rings.

Now that I know the head is not going to be done soon I may build that intake before it is done. All depends on how much wood I get split in between now and then. The good news is I have my sausage stuffing tubes ready to go for it :)

Reply #24August 23, 2012, 12:29:43 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Hmm when I pulled the pistons from my engine I cracked the head on, the cylinder that had been getting water had .030 gap in the top ring, the thickness of a credit card.

Get this thing together man, u are the man right, can't wait to see ur intake and ur sausage funnel, let's see that sausage funnel
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #25August 23, 2012, 08:41:48 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Well I only measured 2 rings and one was in spec at .016" and one was out at .021". Bentley said spec is .014"-.018" 5/8" down the bore. I don't know what to do yet so I gave up for this evening.

I will post pics of the stuffing tubes soon.

Reply #26August 23, 2012, 09:32:23 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Here is the idea. I have been reading like an intake builder wanna be and asking the machinist with a flow bench how not to mess this up. From what I gathered, at the end of the day, whatever I do will be better than the stock intake. So goal #1 accomplished in that. Goal 2 is to do this cheaply and so far I have about 30 in the intake, 30 in the aluminum tubing, and 40 in the sausage funnels. One funnel from a speed shop was going to be around 30 here, I am ahead of the game so far. Goal 3 was accomplished in that I found the sausage funnels that had a good taper #22 and 3/4" IIRC and will pack more air in each runner and not bias it badly.

The design is to cut the funnels down on the OD to just clear the ID of the big pipe *plenum*. It only has to clear .125" or more and 2 and 3 will be cut some more as they will be close enough to hit. I'll cut the plenum in 1/2. Then the plenum will have the 4 holes cut so the runners can come through with the sausage funnels on top of them and weld the plenum back up. The bottom of the sausage funnels will be cut off to fit the aluminum tube and all sanded to promote flow. The plenum volume is 1/2 the engine displacement so roughly .8L. The runners will be either 8.25" or 9" I have some more math to do on the harmonic of it, but fairly long. That is the added benefit of putting the sausage funnels into the pipe, I won't have hood issues that way. The runners will attach to the cut up stock intake manifold ports for the first 1.5" or so. The sausage funnels will not actually be a structural piece, but just welded to the runners and the runners to the plenum.

Here are some pics. On the bottom just imagine the sausage funnels with the OD cut and inside that plenum tube instead of under it...

You can see there is a good taper in these sausage funnels.

Lastly with the tube on.

Reply #27August 24, 2012, 02:42:25 am

bajacalal

I think the John Deere green is about the closest color you can get to the stock VW diesel engine blocks without having a custom color mixed.

Anyone ever notice that the gasser blocks were not green?

Anyway, I like to paint engines black to hide oil leaks!!!

Reply #28August 24, 2012, 03:47:23 am

keaton

• Junior

I know its not quite what your going for, but maybe this can help spur some ideas...
on the velocity stacks the curvature should be equal to the radius to the pipe diameter.. (according to the FSAE book/white paper)

here is without the little fins..runners spacing was not adjusted for the VW heads

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:51:54 am by keaton »
2006 1.9L BRM 5-speed Manual... 100% Stock :(

Standalone VGT/VNT controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/
My CAN Bus video recorder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c

Reply #29August 24, 2012, 08:22:32 am

nathantheengineer

• Junior

That is nicely modelled, with the CFD, did you simply put the airflow onto the inlet and let it work itself out regarding the passing over the fins or did you stipulate that the air had to flow equally over the fins?

I only ask because if you simply told the system that there was an airflow at the inlet on both then it proves categorically that the fins are required.

Cheers

nathan 

Fixmyvw.com