Engine Specific Info and Questions > Diesel Swaps

AAZ 1st gen 4runner? - Now OM617 in my 2nd gen 4runner!

(1/7) > >>

RadoTD:
Hello all. This isn't a post about "can it be done?" Yes, I know it can, I'm just hoping for some advice on what to do.

I need to build a truck, but I can't decide what exactly I want to do. The intent of the truck would be a light-moderate wheeling rig, but capable of going anywhere - hopefully South America at some point in it's life. Two friends of mine are building some pretty crazy machines that I'll have to keep up with, both big, both diesel. My two biggest criteria - SUV and diesel; 1 wire being a big bonus too

All along I've been thinking about a 60 series Land Cruiser; the bloated wagons. It would be great for long trips but just so huge and so hard to find a nice one. To get something without rust issues, I'll need to bring it up from Seattle or Portland, so that would involve inspections and having to travel a fair distance before even looking at anything. I can get a good price for the good 4cyl 3B diesel and unobtanium H55F 5sp tranny, so it could come together fairly easily. Spring over/highsteer/35's/rear locker/body armour would take care of the wheeling end of things. It would very quickly remove $8k from my bank account and be a moderate amount of work. It would be cool in the end, but I've been looking for months and haven't found a decent truck for a reasonable price.

The next thing I've been thinking is running my 2nd gen 4runner and putting the 3B cruiser diesel, transmission and FJ60 cruiser axles under the 4runner. I've never found anyone who's done such a thing and I'm not sure how well it would work out. In theory it would be great, but a fair bit of work, still a decent amount of money and not worth anything in the end. It would get the full leaf spring setup from the cruiser as well

I've gotten thinking though, what about a 1st gen 4runner and I drop the diesel from my Corrado in? 10K since I rebuilt it, easy swap, more than enough power for a light truck; it doesn't need to go fast. Very minimal wiring which I like and half the reason I'm excited about it is that I can get written off cars for cheap and I'd really like to throw a 1.8T into the Corrado. 4" lift on the 4runner, 33's, rear locker and it's trail ready. A bit on the small side for long trips, but a great truck in town/camping/etc. It could be put together for a very reasonable amount of money and would definitely have the best gas mileage of the three. Plus the VW heart would just be cool!

I suppose what I'm sort of wondering is what any of your opinions are. I'm more torn between the 2 4runners. I've got a good, solid 2nd gen and if the 3B and H55F actually fit reasonably well, that could be a good machine. The lack of modification putting the AAZ in a 1st gen would be pretty cool though. ACME adapter, some custom mounts and a bunch of funky little stuffs and I'm basically ready to drive. Anyone have any input?

bajacalal:
I would be hesitant to run any kind of IDI in a 4runner. The engine fits but I'm skeptical that you would get a drivable vehicle.

It's not just about power, but where that power is... VW engines tend to make power high up on the RPM spectrum, particularly compared to other diesels. That's just not ideal for offroad situations or in a heavy vehicle where you want that power closer to 2000 RPM. Just based on what wikipedia tells me, a 3b makes 160 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm. Of course, a Land Cruiser is heavier but the AAZ doesn't come close.

I like your trip idea though. It's something I've also wanted to do. And, Toyota diesels rule the roads in some of those countries. They are literally, like the national vehicle down there. You still see tons of Land Rovers... not in Mexico though.

I've wanted to build a VW/Samurai for a long time. Efficient and capable offroad vehicle. The VW engines work in them because they're light.

R.O.R-2.0:

--- Quote from: bajacalal on February 19, 2012, 02:34:28 am ---I would be hesitant to run any kind of IDI in a 4runner. The engine fits but I'm skeptical that you would get a drivable vehicle.

It's not just about power, but where that power is... VW engines tend to make power high up on the RPM spectrum, particularly compared to other diesels. That's just not ideal for offroad situations or in a heavy vehicle where you want that power closer to 2000 RPM. Just based on what wikipedia tells me, a 3b makes 160 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm. Of course, a Land Cruiser is heavier but the AAZ doesn't come close.

I like your trip idea though. It's something I've also wanted to do. And, Toyota diesels rule the roads in some of those countries. They are literally, like the national vehicle down there. You still see tons of Land Rovers... not in Mexico though.

I've wanted to build a VW/Samurai for a long time. Efficient and capable offroad vehicle. The VW engines work in them because they're light.

--- End quote ---

i would use nothing less than a GTD5 in a 4runner.. i wouldnt consider using an AAZ or 1.6... DEFINITELY a TDI..

you have a 2gen runner tho, and its even MORE heavy than a 1gen runner..

and toyota diesels are junk..

Smokey Eddy:
This is fantastic. You're going to use the compound yes? from the Corrado?

RadoTD:

--- Quote from: R.O.R-2.0 on February 19, 2012, 12:03:42 pm ---i would use nothing less than a GTD5 in a 4runner.. i wouldnt consider using an AAZ or 1.6... DEFINITELY a TDI..

you have a 2gen runner tho, and its even MORE heavy than a 1gen runner..

and toyota diesels are junk..

--- End quote ---

The AAZ would just be for a 1st gen, not in my current 2nd gen truck.
I've borrowed/driven a couple 1st gen 4runners, one with a 22R and the other a 22RE and those were both drivable, certainly faster than a 60 series cruiser with a 3B or 2H diesel, I'd even say a fresh 22RE would give a turbo'd 3B BJ60 a run for it's money!
Searching around it seems to have been done many times and works well. At ~25psi, I should be able to make a very reliable 150bhp which won't move an early 4runner in a huge rush, but it should be bearable?

And yes, Ed, it would be the compound turbo'd diesel from my Corrado!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version