Author Topic: The Dynamic Advance thread...  (Read 19627 times)

Reply #90December 31, 2011, 08:38:46 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

Re: The Dynamic Advance thread...
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:46 am »
Hi,

we can go that route, because the 1.6 spring is not captable to take stoke + 4mm, maximum would be + 3 mm.
So at least, just a 2 mm spacer for the cold lever side and an extra  2mm shimm would be the best solution for
95% of idi engines. With this extra 2 mm stroke you will end up with advanced redline of ~5200 rpm.

By following the idea, the VP spring has to be part of a tuning set. Pherhaps i will ask my Bosch dealer what would
be the price for spring, original shims and VP cover cap. 

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

P.S.
Hardcore people could eliminate the thrust bearing instead of the the spacer, there a still two plain metall shims
as "thrust bearing", so same solution as on the flywheel governor. I can still pull the cold lever before starting, but
it goes a bit harder than before. As alternativ i can pull it during starting, than it make no different at all, as the internal
pressure is allready taking most of the spring load.

VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #91January 06, 2012, 09:34:51 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
This thread is pretty intriguing. Has anyone done any testing to see if and how much extra advance correlates with extra hp? It shouldn't be too difficult with a G-Tech or Norwegian dyno. One could try advancing a stock pumps static timing and babying it through the low RPMs and noting changes. One could even plot an "ideal" advance curve that way with a Tach and Tune.

Reply #92April 22, 2012, 12:23:16 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:16 pm »
Hi,

i could not check extra hp, because i have always make more than one change at once.

Anyhow, i did increase my internal pump pressure on my AAZ Golf and can cofirm that the turbo spooling is affected by the timing. Early timing mean bad spooling and late timing mean valuable better timing. I could also see, that my internal pressure is not linear at all, i assume that this is because of my shortened timing piston. It seems that the leackage in idle position is much higher than it should, than after the piston moving a few mm, the leakage decrease valuable whichs bring a spontaneous pressure increase (~2 bar). So in fact it is very difficult to find the right pressure adjustmend.

For the moment i would not long recommend to shorten the timing pistion on the spring side.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged     
VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #93April 23, 2012, 02:46:13 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2012, 02:46:13 pm »
Hi Alleslowbuged,
Do you that will hapen on IDI also?
I think about puting gasket 1 mm on cover to spring side, after your post and not to shorten the timing pistion.
I`ll improve my English

S-PAutomotive.com