Author Topic: downpipes? difference?  (Read 1590 times)

February 25, 2011, 10:51:02 pm

gribur

• Junior

downpipes? difference?
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:02 pm »
was just wondering if on a stock Golf, AAZ if there would be any difference between using a stock downpipe as opposed to a 2.5 TT downpipe?  My car has neither and just want to see if the difference is worth the money or not.  thanks guys

Reply #1February 26, 2011, 04:38:19 am

Thezorn

• Veteran

Re: downpipes? difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:38:19 am »
The DP is deffinatley where most of the flow gain is to be had. Your exhaust will only flow as well as its most restricted point. Dont know If I worded that right but its the same as the chain is only as strong as its weakest link saying.
Anyways, the stock AAZ DP is about 1.5" or 1.75" at its smallest section, so a 2.25" DP or even 2.5" or 3" give big gians.
If your looking at it money wise, It is also alot cheaper, and not very hard, to make your own. IIRC the TT DP is around $300 ish?
But if you have access to a welder you can easily make your own for far less then $100.
Smokeyeddy and radoTD both have pictures of there homemade DP's in there build threads.

I think I picked up 2 "J" 2.5" mandrel bend aluminized steels pieces for about $20 each, from dynomax. Then just reuse both the flanges off the stock DP.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Fixmyvw.com