Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Aaz based mtdi cam selection

<< < (3/3)

theman53:

--- Quote from: oldskool rich on July 24, 2010, 04:26:36 am ---havent read the whole thread so forgive me if im repeating

my big power 1Z is running a brand new AAZ cam, its runns fine and is very fast, however after 10k it dropped a valve which killed the block, head and piston, after we took it apart we found the vales had hit every piston, i believe at high RPM the valves hit, which isnt a massive problem in the short term but eventualy one will snap. we are now going ALH for a stronger block and we have machined 1mm out of the valve resses on the pistons to stop them from hitting

ive also done the same on my own 2.0 BKD VE project

--- End quote ---
I have talked to a guy that makes cams and the opening and closing ramp of camshafts is critical. He told me if you are making a cam or swapping one from one to another be very picky about that. His cam on one of his gassers he had made is VERY hot, but they figured it will not last 50,000 miles without dropping a valve and killing the piston. I am only bringing this up because you have said that it happend to you and if you never found out the cause of it then this might be worth checking into.

oldskool rich:
so is valve dropping a result of being too hot?

i will happily spend money on a cam if anyone can tell me what spec will be rappid and reliable

theman53:
I think he was meaning the ramp angles being too steep when he said hot.

blackdogvan:
Well it was ran for 2 min on the floor before the pump went to Giles, I'm going to pull the head & have a looksee when I change the cam back to the ahu cam. Report back then even tho it's not really enough to go on.

rolo:
Built an aef/ahu mtdi with new aaz cam. Had alook after about 200 miles as it would rev past 5. inlet valve contact on 2&3. Measured lobes IDI cam 0.6/7mm more lift, replaced ahu cam.  --Rich, just picked up an alh for the pistons, you reckon its a stronger block than afn? Got acouple of early 1.9 girdles on the way will one fit the alh?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version