Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New head install leaked coolant  (Read 3827 times)

Reply #15April 23, 2010, 01:18:13 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: New head install leaked coolant
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 01:18:13 am »
Exacalackalie!
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #16April 25, 2010, 02:54:38 am

chrisrandle1

• User+

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 02:54:38 am »
So I had the crank at TDC for sure.  Now for the cam...It is at TDC when the lock is able to be slid into place on the opposite side of the gear.

So if Pistons 1 and 4 are all the way up and the cam is locked into place I shouldn't have any problems right?

That is how it was.  Now one of the studs wont come out, have to get the right size studd puller on monday.  Anybody know if I can buy one stud from ARP.

-Chris
1992 EcoDiesel - Soon to have P n P Head, T3 Turbo and more!!!

Reply #17April 25, 2010, 06:21:48 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:21:48 am »
So I had the crank at TDC for sure.  Now for the cam...It is at TDC when the lock is able to be slid into place on the opposite side of the gear.

So if Pistons 1 and 4 are all the way up and the cam is locked into place I shouldn't have any problems right?

That is how it was.  Now one of the studs wont come out, have to get the right size studd puller on monday.  Anybody know if I can buy one stud from ARP.

-Chris

Can't you lock 2 or even 3 stud nuts together on the stud?
I would have thought, clamping down with a cam lobe out would have caused more of a torrent, than a leak. :-\
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #18April 25, 2010, 07:33:48 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 07:33:48 am »
there should be a hex in the top of the stud you can use a hex key *allen wrench* to remove ther stud. If not double nuting it like the above post should definately work. The studs were only hand tight, correct?

Reply #19April 26, 2010, 02:35:45 am

chrisrandle1

• User+

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:45 am »
Yes they were installed hand tightned.  The Hex on the top got rounded, and the two nut trick isn't working just sliping, didn't think to try 3. :)

Thanks again
-Chris
Any other ideas why it leaked?  Could I have just screwed up when installing the head?
1992 EcoDiesel - Soon to have P n P Head, T3 Turbo and more!!!

Reply #20April 26, 2010, 10:44:40 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »
Anybody know if I can buy one stud from ARP.
Yes, you should be able to buy just one.  Give their tech support a call for the right part numbers.  The part numbers for single pieces are really weird.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #21April 27, 2010, 12:57:10 am

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:10 am »
Was the exhaust manifold on when you installed and torqued the head?  If so, the ears of the manifold might have caught the back edge of the block. In such an instance, your head would not seat to the block, but you'd be able to toque it. The head would be kept off the block, preventing the gasket from sealing.

There is quite a bit of play in the head bolts on the VW diesel, so you have to actually center it and hold it in place when you snug the head down, and be certain that nothing is binding.

I once tried to install a milled head with the exhaust manifold on, and I noticed that the ears (where the manifold bolts to the head) of the manifold projected beyond the surface of the head, and were "standing" the head off the block and preventing a clean mating surface.

The ONLY way you'd have coolant pouring out of a head is if you did this (above), or had a cracked head, or had something between the head and the block. Not even the crappiest headgasket will "pour" coolant out with 90 lbs on the bolts (BTW, I think you can go even higher). Nor will any warped head "pour" out coolant with that much torque on them. I'm sure it would when running under pressure, but not when filling it up.

S-PAutomotive.com