Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

A1 or A2 diesel?

(1/3) > >>

RAMMSTEIN:
Which one is best and why.

I've heard that the A1 had some serious electrical problems.

But they are so adorable! :D

The A2's are suposedly (sp?) the most reliable VW ever... :)

So which one is best as a second car? :?:

89VWdieselGolf:
i own an A2 non-turbo diesel....and i highly advise getting a turbo motor seeing how n/a's are SOOO slow....but as for reliability...i spent $1500 getting my car saftied and certified (thats including car itself) and for the motor, all it needed was new glowplugs...so yes, they are bullitproof

RAMMSTEIN:
As I said, I already have a Passat variant TDI, so this would be my second car.

I would not like it to be desirable to drive because I like my Passat so much.

I just want something dead reliable, that will always start.

If it's slow, so be it, I don't drive fast anyway.

I want it somewhat inconfortable (no AC, no power window, no sunroof, no nothing), so there's no question in my mind that I'll choose the passat to drive daily and that the Golf/Rabbit will be "the other car I have just in case".

So I would like to know which one of A1 or A2's are the best for this intended purpose. :D

BlackTieTD:
mkI!

electrical issues? not any worse than a mkII IMO. my corrado is a friggin electrical nightmare, the rabbit is almost laughably simple in comparison... so maybe i'm biased.

bottom line in this decision is... you sound like you like the mkI bodystyle best (so do i), and the mkIs are super-light. they make a fun car to bomb around in. mkIIs have their merits as well... but you can't beat the weight of a mkI. if you can find one without much rust, especially in the floors and strut towers, go to town on it. another plus side of mkI weight in respect to reliability is, if the starter or battery fails, you can always bump start them yourself they are so light  :lol: less weight to haul around = less fuel (i like that one).

Blades:
mk2.

High availability in Quebec. Low cost. Those late mk2 1.6D don't go over 140km/h. That's already fast for you. Easy to run on veggie oil.

I'd go for a Jetta due to the bigger space in the trunk. But the Golf Folding seats are also an asset.

We'll talk about it on tuesday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version