Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II

(1/62) > >>

Alleslowbuged:
Hi,

i have owned a VW Golf II GTD with 1.9AAZ engine for a couple of weeks.
It was in good shape and has a small K14 charger, which cause very quick spool
and brings up to 1,5 bar with sticking wastegate. After the first pump adjustments
i notice the new cluth is not able to transfer the quick spool torque.

Here some pictures, how it looks when i bought it:

Even with the overloaded clutch i have run some g-tech turns and one 1/4 mile race, best result is 16,5s for 1/4 mile.
Here is a G-tech result, compared with my old 1.6 TD (red line)

Unfortunately a pice of the head brokes, during i wand change the two spring nozzle against new one spring DN0DS297er nozzles.
After i few minutes of disbelieving looking, i acceped that i have to pull the head, so actually the head is dismount and also the gear is out of the car. I will swap to 02a tranny (CTN) and 228er clutch, which i allready have. Because i did not know how to fix the head, i have bought an other head, which will be rough ported at the exhaust ports.

Here are some pics from the broken head, it is an AMC head and has max. seen 20tkm, no cracs no wear.
(the green stuff is liquid metall glew, hopeless trial)

In the last two days i have disassemble the head, because i will further use all the internals (8mm valves). I have also start to disassemble the turbo, because the wastegate was sticking and i wand to increase the flow through the poor stock downpipe. The turbo has an exhaust of d=54,5mm, the downpipe has an entry diameter of 53,5mm and an exhaust diameter of only 44,5 mm.

02a shiftbox

02a shift cables

some head internals:

Her some pictures, were the very small exhaust port can be seen:

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

Alleslowbuged:
Hi agian,

even as i was happy with the quick spool K14 charger, i am unsure if i should use it further or swap to another charger.

I have follow turbo charger, which i could use:
a) GT15 (VTG) from a AFN TDI engine
b) stock charger from AHU TDI (non VNT)
c) stock AAZ charger (non VNT)
d) K14, was installed
e) K24, from my old MK1 TD
f) Switzer S1B (there i have to use a external wastegate)
g) GT2052V (VTG) from 2,5 TDI engine

I would apreciate to read your suggestions, the car is a daily driver, i shedule to increase the boost up to 30psi (only for short time)
For normal driving max. boost should be between  18psi and 22psi.

Best Regards
Clemens

rallydiesel:
Nice car. I would like to build something similar. I would try out the vnt20. However, for a daily driver the k14 might be easier and more torquey.

Alleslowbuged:
Hello,

thanks for your suggestion, i have the thinked in the same direction.
But yesterday i have read another post here, which compared a K14 with a K24 charger
on a 1.9er IDI engine. The result for me is, that the K14 will be very good for low end
torque and also captable for enough boost, but will cause high oil temp and also high
intake and exhaust gas temerature. So as high temperature is the real IDI engine killer,
i think i will use the gt2052 (complicate governor issue) or my good old tough T3 from
the 1.6 mk1.

Best regards
Clemens

Smokey Eddy:
Garrett T3! :D
If you are skilled you can TIG weld that injector boss back into place. On my old head someone had successfully done that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version