S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Shenanigans  (Read 162220 times)

Reply #240March 07, 2011, 02:24:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Shenanigans
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2011, 02:24:02 pm »
I was gonna bump for "How small will the center quote go" but apparently there is a 20,000 character limit..  :'(

What the heck, start over??

Bump for Facebook not being a complete and total waste of time, got a lead on a Cabby!

WE DID IT BRET!! we got to the end of the quote tree.. the server wont let us go any farther on the original.

this thread is epic, for sure to be legendary!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #241March 07, 2011, 02:26:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #241 on: March 07, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »
I was gonna bump for "How small will the center quote go" but apparently there is a 20,000 character limit..  :'(

Bump for Facebook not being a complete and total waste of time, got a lead on a Cabby!

WE DID IT BRET!! we got to the end of the quote tree.. the server wont let us go any farther on the original.

HOLY CRAP! never noticed that we have 17 pages of useless info on this thread  ;D

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #242March 07, 2011, 02:56:10 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #242 on: March 07, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »

HOLY CRAP! never noticed that we have 17 pages of useless info on this thread  ;D

This seems like a cause for celebration..  Time to go get some beer.. 

Reply #243March 07, 2011, 03:08:14 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »

This seems like a cause for celebration..  Time to go get some beer.. 

One more bump, then I need to get my butt to work..  What's a 93 Cabby worth?  Excellent interior, decent body, a few dings/no rust/nice paint.. Top doesn't leak, but is close to it.. Power everything that works..  1.8 auto (engine is shot), power rack leaks..  Plans are to drop a 1.6, 5 speed, manual steering. I might keep the a/c..

Reply #244March 07, 2011, 05:00:00 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #244 on: March 07, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
i wouldnt pay anymore than 500 (maybe 600 if its super nice)for a car with a bad engine and basically bad (its a slush-o-matic) transmission, and a bad steering rack.

the rack would be an easy fix.. manual steering from a rabbit.

Reply #245March 07, 2011, 05:31:49 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
i wouldnt pay anymore than 500 (maybe 600 if its super nice)for a car with a bad engine and basically bad (its a slush-o-matic) transmission, and a bad steering rack.

the rack would be an easy fix.. manual steering from a rabbit.

I hate when people say "Make and offer", especially people I like..  But I was thinking in the $500 range myself..  $350 would be scrap value roughly, and it is nicer than scrap..  Still runs and drives, just leaks and has no oil pressure.. It does have a crap load of miles.. 250K ish I think..

Other than the usual dings and touched up scratches and chips the car is cosmetically very nice.. Leather seats too, I think..  It's even a nice color, burgundy/marooon with tan interior..

Since summer is coming (eventually) I may just drop in the engine and trans I been putting together for the Rabbit..  What's another year or two on crack engine??  I just hope they opt to buy the lower mileage one they are looking at instead of fixing this one.. This would be the ideal candidate for my intentions....

Reply #246March 07, 2011, 06:02:45 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »
quarter million miles?

i would put new shocks/struts and wheel bearings, or atleast re pack/inspect whats there..

Reply #247March 07, 2011, 06:55:13 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2011, 06:55:13 pm »
quarter million miles?

i would put new shocks/struts and wheel bearings, or atleast re pack/inspect whats there..

It's been one of the few that has been cared for.. Struts have been replaced at some point, I did the rear bearings when I replaced brakes a year or so ago..   Not sure what else has been touched..   I'm still expecting some things to be addressed...

Reply #248March 10, 2011, 10:39:05 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2011, 10:39:05 pm »
quarter million miles?

It's been one of the few that has been cared for.. Struts have been replaced at some point, I did the rear bearings when I replaced brakes a year or so ago..   Not sure what else has been touched..   I'm still expecting some things to be addressed...

My rabbit now has coolant drains (no more coolant baths), new water pump (short term replacement was a used long nosed one instead of short nose), installed homemade vac pump diaphragm (old one ripped), cleaned piece of diaphragm out of the vac pump check valve and now the brakes work, new IP lever shaft O ring (leaked), new tranny output seal (old one leaked), new inner cv boot (believe it or not it was the same side that needed the boot!) new block heater (old one leaked). Need new rack boots and my RUBBER vc gasket leaks  pretty bad and the HG is dumping oil out the front……the list is never ending………bump
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #249March 11, 2011, 12:46:08 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:08 am »
quarter million miles?

My rabbit now has coolant drains (no more coolant baths), new water pump (short term replacement was a used long nosed one instead of short nose), installed homemade vac pump diaphragm (old one ripped), cleaned piece of diaphragm out of the vac pump check valve and now the brakes work, new IP lever shaft O ring (leaked), new tranny output seal (old one leaked), new inner cv boot (believe it or not it was the same side that needed the boot!) new block heater (old one leaked). Need new rack boots and my RUBBER vc gasket leaks  pretty bad and the HG is dumping oil out the front……the list is never ending………bump

Must not be a lot of dust around you with all those leaks..  ;D

Bump for dumping the primordial ooze from my overflow tank on the Wal Mart Parking lot today...

Reply #250March 11, 2011, 01:01:25 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:25 pm »
quarter million miles?

i installed a rubber VC gasket recently, and it seems like it leaks more than the cork one i took out.. i think im going to switch back to the cork 3 piece actually..

and good job on the parking lot Brett.. i love it when i get to leave my signature somewhere.. lol.

Reply #251March 11, 2011, 02:07:18 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »
quarter million miles?

i installed a rubber VC gasket recently, and it seems like it leaks more than the cork one i took out.. i think im going to switch back to the cork 3 piece actually..

and good job on the parking lot Brett.. i love it when i get to leave my signature somewhere.. lol.

Was it the Victor Reinz rubber gasket??  I had a few cheapo generic (Protheish) rubber VC gaskets that were junk.. The Victor ones have been serving me well...

Reply #252March 11, 2011, 04:20:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2011, 04:20:36 pm »
was a felpro gasket.. leaks down the front and back of the head on my car..

no silicone needed with those 1 piece gaskets is there? i might use some anyways..

Reply #253March 11, 2011, 04:27:31 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »
was a felpro gasket.. leaks down the front and back of the head on my car..

no silicone needed with those 1 piece gaskets is there? i might use some anyways..

Can't remember if I used a Felpro gasket in the past or or not.. I went though several on the Caddy till I finally got the Victor one.. I've used nothing else since...

They're supposed to be installed dry.. Clean everything good, apply a thin coat, let 'er set up good and see what happens....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:32:20 pm by maxfax »

Reply #254March 11, 2011, 10:06:02 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
I got mine from myke_w, not sure what brand it is.........I'm pretty sure it's always leak though and I was sure it was something else because "rubber gaskets don't leak".
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com