Author Topic: Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits  (Read 80832 times)

October 07, 2005, 12:56:39 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits
« on: October 07, 2005, 12:56:39 pm »
edited by vwdiesel.net moderator 2007-05-29: This vendor is currently inactive so you may not be able to purchase turbo rebuild kits from him. Browse posts inside this thread to find alternative sources for turbo rebuild kits.

Hi Volks,

I have to offer to our GTD board members a very complete, high quality turbo rebuild kit for the 1.6lTD KKK K24 turbo, including a 360 degree thrust bearing upgrade, new turbine housing bolts, wastegate mounting bolts, hard to find correctly fitting o-rings, journal bearings and piston ring seals, etc.

The above picture shows my Dieselicious 360 degree thrust bearing compared to the standard 270 degree thrust bearing found in the KKK turbocharger.  Benefits of the 360 degree thrust bearing upgrade are: better load carrying capability of the bearing resulting in slower wearing of the bearing and improved reliability (especially in high performance applications), and also less turbocharger oil flow requirement, leaving more oil pressure and flow to get to the other turbocharger and engine bearings and the piston cooling oil jets.

Pricing of my Dieselicious 1.6lTD KKK K24 turbocharger rebuild/upgrade kit is $80US plus $8 for shipping anywhere to the US or Canada.

This IS a job you can do yourself.  (And home mechanics that do will save lots of $!)  Step by step instructions will also be included, walking you through the step-by-step process on how to upgrade your turbo's thrust bearing and replace its journal bearings.

IM or e-mail me if you're interested.  I can get rebuild parts for pretty much any other turbo make or model as well.

Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class

Reply #1October 31, 2005, 03:14:54 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:14:54 pm »
I stock a Dieselicious turbocharger rebuild kit for VW Eco-Diesels (engine code: 1V) and Intercooled 1.6lTD European GTD motors (engine code: RA/SB), which is currently priced at $80.  The eco-diesel/GTD turbocharger rebuild kit includes a 360 degree thrust bearing.

A Dieselicious turbo upgrade/rebuild kit is also now available for a 1.6lTDs with Garrett turbochargers.  It includes a heavy-duty 270 degree thrust bearing upgrade and a Dieselicious gapless turbine-side sealing ring upgrade, and is priced at $90.  The following picture shows a comparison of the 1.6lTD Garrett heavy-duty Dieselicious thrust bearing upgrade versus an old worn out original:

The upgraded 1.6lTD Garrett Dieselicious thurst bearing features: improved oiling, a high strength special alloy steel (bending less under severe loading), and drastically reduced axial clearances compared to an old used original one.

Shipping cost for any Dieselicious turbo rebuild kit is a flat rate $8 to anywhere in North America.  Shipping to other continents is also available; inquire as to price.  Please send me an instant message or e-mail if you are interested.  Thanks!

[updated: 2/27]
Jake Russell

Reply #2October 31, 2005, 04:23:30 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

Wow, whats the availability?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:23:30 pm »
How long will these kits be around?
I will need one in the coming months for sure..
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #3October 31, 2005, 05:39:02 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:39:02 pm »
i will get in touch in a month or few jake.  :)

Reply #4October 31, 2005, 06:45:15 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 06:45:15 pm »
Let me know when you are interested; I hope to be offering these parts for a while.  Look for other VW peformance parts coming from me in the near future as well! :)

Just remember that running a turbo until it stops working, IE: when the wheels hit the housings, will leave it needing much more than a rebuild kit but also possibly new shafts, wheels, housings, and other major parts, which are not always available and can get expensive!  It is a wise strategy to rebuild high-mileage or hard-used turbos preventatively.
Jake Russell

Reply #5October 31, 2005, 08:08:36 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:36 pm »
Sweet Jake, you da man!  :)

That's why this community is better than ALL others, we actually have smart members doing things to help out.  I'd be willing to bet we have much cooler toys/products that our members are working on than any other message board!  :)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #6November 01, 2005, 09:30:30 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:30:30 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Just remember that running a turbo until it stops working, IE: when the wheels hit the housings, will leave it needing much more than a rebuild kit but also possibly new shafts, wheels, housings, and other major parts, which are not always available and can get expensive!  It is a wise strategy to rebuild high-mileage or hard-used turbos preventatively.

thanks for the advice jake. my turbo is spooling fine and shows no signs of needing a rebuild. i hope to rebuild it anyway as a precaution since i bought it used, along with rebuilding the spare one i have, over the winter... but i have a few other priorities to deal with before i'm at that stage. will keep you posted and looking forward to more dieselicious products from the fsp gtd guy.  :D

Reply #7November 07, 2005, 07:43:55 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:43:55 pm »
Bump for a great offer by fspGTD  :)
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #8November 08, 2005, 09:18:10 pm

houseofdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 09:18:10 pm »
How about a bearing for a KKK K03 turbo as found on the 1.9 AAZ turbo diesels? I have two dead turbos in my garage...
Greg

Reply #9November 09, 2005, 02:54:33 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 02:54:33 am »
I'd very much like to offer rebuild kits for 1.9lTD turbos... IM sent!
Jake Russell

Reply #10November 28, 2005, 10:14:31 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:14:31 pm »
I now offer Dieselicious Turbocharger Rebuild Kits for the 1.9lTD, engine code: AAZ.  There are two varieties of 1.9lTD turbo rebuild kits: one for the Garrett turbo, another for the KKK turbo.  Both are priced at $80 US + $8 for shipping.
Jake Russell

Reply #11November 30, 2005, 01:41:12 am

starrd

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 01:41:12 am »
Jake, does the 1.9 AAZ KKK turbo kit come with the 360 degree thrust bearing, or is it just on the 1.6lTD KKK K24 turbo?  My engine has 330,000 kms (all Hwy) and I'm thinking of doing preventative maintenance.  Also, is it possible to pick up the kit?  I'm from Canada, but since I travel past Seattle occasionally, it would save on any duty & taxes.
Black 1996 Passat TDI Malone tune, K03/04 Hybrid, Keyless, VR6 Clutch & PP357's
White 1993 Passat TD - GTD nozzles, Keyless - Giles pump, K14, Intercooler, 228mm VR6 clutch & PP, CTN Trans etc
Red 1990 Corrado - custom chip by

Reply #12November 30, 2005, 04:20:38 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 04:20:38 am »
All of my Dieselicious kits for KKK turbochargers come with 360 degree thrust bearings, which make for a very nice upgrade if your old KKK turbocharger has a 270 degree thrust bearing, as some do.

The stock KKK 270 degree thrust bearing is weak enough to break...

In the graphic case illustrated above (in this case a 1.6lTD KKK K24), the stock 270 degree thrust bearing broke into three pieces.  The lack of thrust control caused the compressor wheel to rub its housing and prevent the turbo from reliably generating boost pressure.  Besides causing damage to the compressor wheel (requires replacing the wheel to properly fix), the broken thrust bearing caused excessive oil to flow through the thrust bearing oil supply gallery and into the turbo's oil return cavity, some of which got pushed past the compressor oil seal and into the compressor housing and on into the combustion chambers.  Finally, running with a broken thrust bearing could cause oil starvation in other turbocharger and engine bearings.

A local pickup would work fine for me if you coordinated it in advance (send me an IM or e-mail if you're interested.)  However, shipping to Canada is not a problem, in fact I've already shipped kits out to 3 customers there and in each case they reported that the kits arrived promptly and with a minimum of hassle in getting through customs. :wink:
Jake Russell

Reply #13December 03, 2005, 11:02:25 pm

ancient

what do I get for the eco diesel rebuild kit?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 11:02:25 pm »
Could you tell me what exactly do I get for the eco diesel turbo rebuild kit.  Thanks.

Reply #14December 04, 2005, 03:39:56 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 03:39:56 pm »
The contents of my kits vary depending on the application, but generally will include among any upgrade parts, those pieces that usually wear and/or should be replaced when you have your turbo apart (like thrust bearing and journal bearings, seals, o-rings, etc), plus installation instructions.  I IM'ed you the details for the Eco-Diesel kit.  Thanks!
Jake Russell