S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: VE Pump no high pressure  (Read 4486 times)

August 19, 2009, 05:19:18 am

DavidMechanicsarefun

VE Pump no high pressure
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:19:18 am »
1981 Rabbit PU,,   had leaks  so I resealed it and had to change plunger and barrel assy because I broke it. The delivery valves (4ea) are not emitting fuel while trying to crank engine...  If the delivery valves are removed ( with lift pump on )  then fuel is present at delivery valve ports as engine turns respectively.  Timming is good . Pump set at .039 at TDC... I also moved it advanced still had no fuel past the delivery valves....  any one have guidance on how to troubleshoot delivery valves  and  the plunger piston?    I have observed that some delivery valves have a  shorter barrel and thus do not have a shim behind the spring . I think the control sleeve and lever is still correct as I cannot observe and obivious malfunctions
 ( with to cover off ) I tried the check with magnetic valve plunger removed to see I there was a restriction there but I was still not making good delivery  Pump feels good as it is rotated by hand with normal resistance as can plate pushes against plunger piston        Any guidance is greatly appriciated  in advance.                Thanks again     David 

Reply #1August 19, 2009, 01:02:19 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: VE Pump no high pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:02:19 pm »
Remove the small plunger from the stop solenoid. It might have failed. You won't be able to shut the car off though, unless you stall it using the clutch. If you don't have the injection lines connected then you don't need to worry about this
Tyler

Reply #2August 19, 2009, 10:20:57 pm

wyndsurfr

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »
Not trying to jack your thread here man, but I'm having the same issue, maybe we can collaborate and get it solved...  my pump is full of fuel (someone put an electric pump inline) so it will fill up my injector pump no problem.  I can pump fuel (using the electric pump) up through the little shutoff hole when I remove the plug and plunger.  Fuel is going through the main return valve on top of my pump as well.  I removed the little plunger from the shutoff, still nothing at all coming out of my injector tubes.  I can't even make it come out using shop air at 120psi.  It seems that if the seals were bad I could make it come out of there for sure using shop air.  I personally feel that something is stopping the fuel at the plunger valve or in that area.  There seems to be a little flathead screw down below the plunger, I haven't heard of this is it supposed to be there? 

The story I got when i acquired the car was that the lady got a tank of fuel, drove about a mile, then the car just stopped and hasn't run since... 

anyhow, hopefully we can get this sorted out.  i found "new" pumps from vwdiesel.com for $250 after the core, that's not bad sounding to me, but I'd hate to spend that if I don't need to.  at least this will give us a bump to the top again, maybe we'll find an answer...
1986 golf non-turbo 5 speed...  Wanna buy it?

Reply #3August 20, 2009, 03:02:17 am

DavidMechanicsarefun

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:02:17 am »
nice,,   I want to understand my injector pump so I go for it,,, forget counting man hours..  I havepulled the selonide valve off and removed the plunger and then placed selonide valve back on to verify  that no restriction exist there...   I am probably going to have to remove the pump and re dissesamble it and do a visual... of the internals..    I have two pumps..          but the delivery valves are probably not to spec.. could just get new ones but I am consertive.  This is my third vehicle,  trying to have a cheep work truckc ( really want to make it  to high 40's MPG   it was steady 39 MPG and would go 70+ on flat roads ).  I will research delivery valve specs if I get time.   The pump should shove fuel through it even if basic timming is off.  Pretty basic Ill look at it this week end 

Reply #4August 20, 2009, 05:24:49 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:49 pm »
Did you check that the new plunger was for the correct rotation, the plungers very subtly differ. This is to prevent the engines from running backwards, weird I know, but I once managed this on an ancient lister engined dumper.  ;D

One gear forward, three reverse, even more putrid black smoke from the air filter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:27:48 pm by smutts »

Reply #5August 22, 2009, 10:52:49 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:52:49 pm »
Did you check that the new plunger was for the correct rotation, the plungers very subtly differ. This is to prevent the engines from running backwards, weird I know, but I once managed this on an ancient lister engined dumper.  ;D

One gear forward, three reverse, even more putrid black smoke from the air filter.
Ha Ha, I'd love to have been there for that, I bet it souunded good too ;D

Reply #6August 24, 2009, 04:43:37 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:43:37 pm »
I doubt it enjoyed the oil pump running backwards though. Game little thing though, but I doubt I could have hand cranked that thing in your winters. It would break thumbs with ease, so I treated it with some respect. :P

Reply #7August 25, 2009, 07:07:29 am

DavidMechanicsarefun

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:07:29 am »
no time to troubleshoot yet but I think that if the metering sleeve ( collar) was on wrong it could release fuel back to case,,,   I was thinking of removing distributor plunger bolt ( timming bolt ) and blowing air back through plunger.. I have a fitting.  If the sleeve is  in incorrect then air would bubble back to tank from top cover vent depending on govornor and start spring effort.. I did not even touch it yet but willl     

Reply #8August 28, 2009, 03:53:56 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:56 pm »
You are correct David.

That color being on backwards will do what you are experiencing.

Good thing is you do not have to remove the pump to see it, just the top.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #9September 02, 2009, 06:41:19 am

DavidMechanicsarefun

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:41:19 am »
my latest up date  Collar ( ie spill valve ) was correct...  it also has small bleed hole where governer tenisioning lever pinion sits and that bleed hole faces towards the drive end of pump...  but the more illuminating info that I have is that the Pump,plunger and body set are aftermarket and are actually not bosch.....must be China,     the physical diameter of the plunger and the overall length of the plunger are greater.   It does bolt up and attaches to the origional injector body but is different...   the washer / spacer that the plunger sits against at the cam plate is dammaged so I have to get another but does that spacer remain origional thickness it the replacement H.P. pump has different diminsions.    So the school of hard knocks  must still be in scession...   nothing changed there.   The seller of parts hopefully will provide the additional insights that I require                           

Reply #10September 02, 2009, 10:20:47 am

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
The seller of parts hopefully will provide the additional insights that I require                           

An internet vendor perhaps?!   :)

The fact that you're getting a little bit of flow with the delivery valves out but the pump can't develop enough pressure to get past the injectors could well be a tolerance issue between the plunger and head.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #11September 03, 2009, 11:36:43 am

DavidMechanicsarefun

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:36:43 am »
Since i am using aftermarket parts additional understanding is required.       a correct shim thickness might be more sensitive to fill port alignment and outlet port alignment and then insuring that plunger did not strike end fitting....      because displacement is more of a timming issue at TDC which results in amount of fuel .      This pump is a direct displacement pump with a variable displacement regulated  sliding vane  low boost pump.  The ports and lift of the plunger squeeze a fuel charge to the respective cylinder as long a the spill collar is cut off and internal alignment needs are met.                 Go easy on me I'm trying to make a hobbie out of this stuff......  so many other things are just beyond my pay grade .    Also because the spring in the nozzles acts as a pressure cracking point and delivery valves keep lines primmed.        What's  the easy way to determine shim thickness ? 

Trial and error?  Buy a new pump?    Take it to Bosch  ,  that was 365.00 plus parts   Yall have a great day   

Reply #12September 03, 2009, 02:22:55 pm

Willy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:22:55 pm »
Just signed up, have no idea what I am doing here with this website post thing, but have a 2002 tdi jetta that will run great then suddenly it seems like the turbo won't kick in.  It will sluggishly take off and eventually get up to whatever speed you need on the flat but going up hills it will bog down to 45mpg.  Then it will run great for awhile then start doing the same sluggish thing.  I've taken it to VW, had the computer diagnosed and they tell me there is nothing wrong.  The darn car never does it when I take it in.  Does anybody have any clue what this could be?  I don't know where or how to read your response so if you know anyone I can contact, could you email me at newbielink:mailto:[email protected] [nonactive]
Thank you,
willy 

Reply #13September 06, 2009, 08:27:03 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 08:27:03 pm »
It obviously is a fuel problem since it comes and goes, have you changed the fuel filter lately and run any inector cleaner through it?  It sounds like restricted fuel flow to me.  Start with a new filter first and go from there.

Reply #14September 07, 2009, 03:58:19 pm

DavidMechanicsarefun

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:58:19 pm »
today,,   I have identified that the plunger does strike ( make contact ) with the removable plug at the h.p. pump body.  The shim removed and it still makes contact..   With out the plug in it turns freely. So I am going to shorten the plug.....   yea      a solution...   The way to avoid this in the future is not to accept orders for other than  genuine Bosch replacement parts.   The online vendor has assured me that he uses this stuff all the time but I aint working out..   I can pull the pump off   dissesamble and rebuild the pump and reinstall it  in not much more than a hour so plenty of practice there.