Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Air Care in Greater Vancouver Area?  (Read 6781 times)

Reply #15February 05, 2009, 09:45:36 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Air Care in Greater Vancouver Area?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:45:36 pm »
you insure it as a collector car?

I dunno man... you've stumped me... if you could please enlighten me it would be nice because then i could actually be driving it like by saturday... instead of f***ing around with stupid exhaust issues
I'm really pissed off right now with it because the DP bolts wont thread into the turbo because my buddy got weld in the flange holes

Edit: more ideas on how you get around it...

- you only insure 1 car and have all yours VW's the same colour and just transfer the documents to each car that you drive because you can only drive 1 of them at a time?
    - drive a car older than a certain year
    - uhhh get someone else who isn't in the GVRD to insure it and pay them?
    - go to your insurance place and tell em "oh yeah i'll go get air care, it'll pass don't worry about it. Thanks for the insurance. im off to air care right now"  (as if that would work...)

I am really really stumped. Do tell me, how do you get around it. And if you live so close we should meet up some time!!! Do you have a timing gauge&adapter :oops:
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #16February 06, 2009, 01:47:41 am

bigblockchev

• Veteran

Aircare for diesels
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:47:41 am »
Just try it without the cat It is worth the 23$ if you  pass it's all good. The other trick is to show up with studded snows in season then they can't do the dyno because of WCB regs , studs might fly off & injure someone. so they will do a 1500 RPM static test & give you  a pass. Just did it 2 weeks ago in my 92 Jetta. Good luck Dan
it's always something simple
one test is worth a thousand guesses
95 Chev Suburban 6.5 w performance mods
91 Mercedes 300D 603.960 6cyl 3L
87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo
2000 Jetta TDI
76 Onan  MDJF 15Kw genset
5.5 years and counting on B100

Reply #17February 06, 2009, 05:28:40 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:40 am »
yeah but the studded tires would cost me more than a new exhaust system anyways  :P
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #18February 06, 2009, 06:11:01 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 06:11:01 pm »
Quote from: "Smokey Eddy"
yeah but the studded tires would cost me more than a new exhaust system anyways  :P

For a case of beer someone might loan you the studded tires for a few hours......

Reply #19February 06, 2009, 06:45:49 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 06:45:49 pm »
Haha!
I know that if my engine was driven normally, like they do in the test, it won't smoke too much. With the turbo not bleeding ANY boost off it burns really clearly as soon as the turbo is spooled up. The only black smoke i've seen yet just zipping up and down my street was when i had the turbo disconnected. I'm still coming to see you Dave as soon as i get insurance!
Ed

Reply #20February 06, 2009, 07:12:48 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »
It's a shame you guys have to go through all that mess to get your cars to pass as down here we don't have any emision testing on deisels yet but if they do come up with it in Md. you can put historic tags on anything 20 or more years old and get around it that way if the time comes.  But for the life of me I've ever even heard of a catalytic converter on a diesel period, the only thing emissionwise on diesels I ever heard of is these new particulate traps which are on the newer diesels down here.  I've always been told and read that diesel will ruin a catalytic converter in no time at all.  Did they actualy put something like that on your cars like that back then other than just the resonator :shock:

Reply #21February 06, 2009, 07:17:25 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 07:17:25 pm »
I dunno man. Wiki mentions cats for diesels but i really doubt VW made theirs with them. I think diesel cats are, like you said, a new thing. Soot traps and what not.
Ed

Reply #22February 06, 2009, 07:41:50 pm

danwithagolf

• User+

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:50 pm »
i think only the eco diesels had cats. i took my car to air care about 8 months a go i dont have a cat but i had a res and a muffler and i passed with a 9% on my n/a on my air care sheet there's a section that says cat and under mine it says n/a so i think you just need a muffler i need to take mine again soon and all i have is a 4inch cannon and no res its real loud but all see if i pass!
87 Golf n/a

Reply #23February 06, 2009, 07:54:06 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 07:54:06 pm »
I dunno man. Wiki mentions cats for diesels but i really doubt VW made theirs with them. I think diesel cats are, like you said, a new thing. Soot traps and what not.

The emission testing people couldn't make you put something on the car that wasn't on it from the factory could they as it was accepted into the country when it was new and met the standards then.  It sounds to me like the people with the mirror are getting the resonator mixed up with a catalytic converter or something on those lines.

Reply #24February 06, 2009, 08:22:21 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:21 pm »

MK3's have them for sure.  They trap different things, and they clog up horribly over time restricting power.  The new particulate filters are pre-cat as I understand it, but there's still a cat after them.

Some of the Aircare dodges like registering out of the GVRD and using collector plates work, but when you get in an accident your insurance is invalid.  Collector plates don't allow you to go to and from work or put on an excessive amount of mileage, and there's some other restrictions as well.  If you're in an accident you have to PROVE where you were going to ICBC before they pay out.

If you register under a false address or mis-declare where the vehicle spends most of it's time, it's fraud, and again ICBC will disallow your coverage.

I wind up with a lot of people in my office thinking that filing bankruptcy will get them out of their ICBC debt, but if it's fraud related or there's criminal charges involved, as there usually always is in an accident, then the debt won't even go away in bankruptcy.  That messes you up for the rest of your life because it never, ever goes away until you pay it, and the interest keeps racking up on it.

Reply #25February 06, 2009, 08:30:34 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »
Jesus.

Yeah, insurance fraud is up there with like murder and stuff. I'd never do it ...

my ex-best-buddy had some sh!t 1989 civic dx that he and his parents loved (for some reason) and they claimed that his dad drove it 51% of the time (go figure). So they didn't have to pay the "n" driver rates. I later chipped his door with a bb gun from like 500 yard away (don't ask how it's a long story and it was an accident) and his parents made me fork out $300 FOR HIS car to have some cracked out "body shop" who was a friend of theirs (go figure again) to spray it with a can of spray paint. I was 17 at the time. I was choked that my budd wouldn't stand up for him self because he didn't care about the chip and it was after all his car. his parents were just douche bags to me about it for some reason. They're the type that think auto mechanics is such a fangled complicated industry that trying to understand what a dip stick is takes months of training and apprenticeship.

He later crashed it and ICBC gave him $1,000 for the new-er engine he had swapped in it and $0 for the body which i paid $300 for.

HOW icbc did NOT catch onto the "51%" thing beats me and just makes me so MAD that people get away with *** like that. THAT is why i really don't like ICBC.
Ed

Reply #26February 06, 2009, 09:04:03 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:03 pm »
Jesus.

Yeah, insurance fraud is up there with like murder and stuff. I'd never do it ...

my ex-best-buddy had some sh!t 1989 civic dx that he and his parents loved (for some reason) and they claimed that his dad drove it 51% of the time (go figure). So they didn't have to pay the "n" driver rates. I later chipped his door with a bb gun from like 500 yard away (don't ask how it's a long story and it was an accident) and his parents made me fork out $300 FOR HIS car to have some cracked out "body shop" who was a friend of theirs (go figure again) to spray it with a can of spray paint. I was 17 at the time. I was choked that my budd wouldn't stand up for him self because he didn't care about the chip and it was after all his car. his parents were just douche bags to me about it for some reason. They're the type that think auto mechanics is such a fangled complicated industry that trying to understand what a dip stick is takes months of training and apprenticeship.

He later crashed it and ICBC gave him $1,000 for the new-er engine he had swapped in it and $0 for the body which i paid $300 for.

HOW icbc did NOT catch onto the "51%" thing beats me and just makes me so MAD that people get away with *** like that. THAT is why i really don't like ICBC.

Damn, that must have been one of those Daisy Red Ryder {MAGNUMS} at that range :lol:   It sounds like they are pretty serious up there about insurance issues and such.

Reply #27February 06, 2009, 09:57:26 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »
It's a pellet/bb. And i love it. It's basically a .22 but ... you know  :lol:
Ed

Reply #28February 17, 2009, 02:36:51 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:51 pm »
Well i got air care today and passed but with a way higher (worse) reading than last time... even though it runs so much better, higher compression and what not. Air care is a joke.

ANYWAYS I found out some good info for those whom this applies to.
Under "catalytic converter presence" I got an "N/A" so .. it didn't have to be there after all. niether does the muffler.

damn. Anyways, just some warning for those about to undertake this hardship that IS air care  :roll:
Ed

Reply #29February 17, 2009, 02:41:22 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 02:41:22 pm »
oh yeah, i got an 18.6 for the "reading" and last time i got a 12.0.

and according to their thing it uses 7.1L/100km ... which is like ... what's that... just doing the math in my head here 33.1288144 MPG. That's not very good :( ... she needs breaking in! and boost pressure. That stupid fitting for the hose to my LDA and gauge wont stay in the hose. Gotta throw that intercooler on there and solve that...
Ed

Fixmyvw.com