Author Topic: Jetta project 200  (Read 132023 times)

Reply #285December 19, 2009, 04:38:21 pm

Aki-76

Re: Jetta project 200
« Reply #285 on: December 19, 2009, 04:38:21 pm »
I've been very busy with moving and building my new workspace etc. but things are starting to look brighter for my own and others projects.
Coming up some hardcore stuff for diesel engines!!

Reply #286January 10, 2010, 03:05:06 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »
OK, folks, here's some of the long awaited update material!

I just can't believe how much work the Jetta's bodywork has required, and even now there is still a little work to be done, but this time I believe the bodywork should be pretty much OK in two weeks time...

The techical stuff hasn't really progressed all that much, since I have to get the bodywork done in order to make some room in the garage, so I can work on the engine etc. There has been a lot of thinking going on with the engine and all things realted, though, and I have slowly been colleting all the missing parts for my build, of which, sadly, there are still many.

As the Tornado Rot diesel monster is slowly, but surely, progressing, I have been driving around in this new aquintance:

It's a '88 Jetta GT, which means (for a Finnish-sold car) a GU engine (90-hp 1.8 carburettor engine), GTI brakes and suspension, and special interior trim plus some accessories. I think this one will eventually turn into a megasquirted 8V turbo. That is, if the diesel Jetta is ever finished!
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #287January 10, 2010, 03:20:13 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »
Since it happened that there was a lot of bodywork fixing to do even after the outside of the car had been painted, I had to redo the interior paintwork eventually.

There were many small holes to weld up in the bottom of the floor pan, and some in the rear floor have yet to be done...
Anyway, as there had to be some welding work done, I decided that most of the floor pan seams should be spot-welded too, as on a car with 470k km on the clock surely has the bodywork gone a little soft. Hence, I had to repaint the inner floors, since the weldings obviously torched the paintwork.

The driver's side front floor even had to be cleaned up for the first time, since I had not the sense to remove all of the wiring and stuff prior to the painting of the outside panels... Well, next time I know to strip a car 100% completely before any hint of painting work!

Here's a small example of the rust damage of the lower floor:

The front jacking points both looked like this!

...and repaired:

Then after a huge amount of cleaning, sanding and grinding, finally some primer:

In case you're wondering, painting the interior panels of a car after having the exterior painted and laquered, well, that is obviously a VERY stupid thing to do! Why it ever came to happen, is that when the car had been repainted the last time, the previous (very careful and tedious  >:( ) owner had put on a very thick layer of rust proofing undercoating on the floor pan, and it all looked, and felt, under inspection to be solid. Now I know I should never trust work done by previous owners, and just do it all over again no matter what the history! You know, it took almost exactly ten hours to cover up all the outer panels of the car, and all the door and window surrounds:

Sorry about the quality of pictures, but I have concentrated more on building the Jetta than taking artistic snaps :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:28:56 pm by TurboJ »

Reply #288January 10, 2010, 03:45:02 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »
Almost all metal parts that are going to be fitted onto the Jetta, have been sand-blasted and epoxy-coated,
here's one heap of 20-year old German metal:

The axle beam was just one of the many parts that I painted at least twice  ::)

When I predicted there was going to be some work involved to get the axle up to the job, I wasn't wrong. It was down to just one of the stub axle attaching bolts that didn't unscrew no matter what.
I tried penetrating oil, heavy locking pliers after grinding the bolt end to shape, drilling, heating... It didn't budge.
So I took the axle to a good tig-welder, and he heated the surrounding metal up (red hot) and then tig-welded a nut to the bolt end - so the bolt came out nice and easy. Good luck I didn't have to source another rear axle just because of one seized bolt! Thread came good after all, so hopefully the wheels won't come off during cornering  :D

Finished article (again a crappy pic, but anyway...)

...considering that it looked like this before dismantling, it turned out OK.

By the way, here's an example of basic tools with which to remove your rear axle bushings without power tools :)

Another cheapo working method:

A front engine mount made stiffer by drilling some holes on top, draining all the 'hydraulic' fluid inside, and filling the void up with silicone sealer!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:49:40 pm by TurboJ »

Reply #289January 10, 2010, 03:53:00 pm

ryanp

• Veteran

« Reply #289 on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:00 pm »
Janne,

Did you get my message??

Cheers
Brand new TDi injector sets:
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=25862.0

Golf Mk2 TDi Van - 250WHP

Reply #290January 10, 2010, 03:54:45 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2010, 03:54:45 pm »
Since I finally had the sense to take the fuse box and all the accompanying wires off the car, naturally I had to spread them out all over the floor...

I did manage to make a template of all the wires, so I might actually stand a change of making a working replacement.

But there is still one single wire that is un-accounted for - anybody know, or have a Bentley manual at hand, what would a single red/green wire be? It comes with the regular bundle through the firewall, and I have lost the other end of it, but it's the only red/green wire on the whole set, so maybe someone can tell me what it is? The car is '91 EcoDiesel originally, but the wires may also be '91 GTD.

Reply #291January 10, 2010, 03:57:01 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »
Janne,

Did you get my message??

Cheers

Yeah I did, your engine looks amazing, I'll definetely keep an eye on your project too! I'll get back to you about the SDI crank too...

Reply #292January 10, 2010, 04:09:53 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »
OK, on to the engine.

Some of you may remember the very strange development I had with the crankshaft of my SB engine.
(Namely that it had a 1.6 8V 85-hp gasser crankshaft!!)
So, when I still thought I could get the car running during year 2009, I was in a hurry to find a replacement crankshaft!

Luckily, I had a spare CY engine laying around. I decieded to give it a try, but the thing had definetely seen better days!

Surprisingly, only the head had suffered from it long time off the road; it seems moisture hadn't got to any of the bottom-end parts, so there I had my replacement!

The head was scrap after all the years sitting outside, but hey, it was a 1.6 head so no matter  ;D
Too bad it would have been in best shape of all VW IDI heads I have ever seen, had it not been for the moisture damage. Absolutely no cracks between the valves etc...

It seems the CY might have been fully rebuilt shortly before being left sitting dead; the pistons for example, looked brand new.

Not bad for a scrap engine that cost me 20€: everything in the bottom end was in excellent shape. So I got a full set of Mahle pistons, good rods and caps, a good crank, and also a nearly unused oil pump, that now resides in my franken engine.

Reply #293January 10, 2010, 04:21:23 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »
Speaking of the engine, this is the first picture taken since I got it back home in the summer:

Always use original VAG parts when better alternatives (preferrably custom made by Aki Motorsport) aren't available  ;D

True to the tradition of this particular project, I'm going to disassemble the engine once again, to replace these weight-balanced and newly re-bushed OE rods with H-profiles:

My motto it seems, is don't do anything just once if you can do it at least twice!

As for now, the engine is a pretty good showcase of '80s and '90s VAG parts, as well as a multitude of custom parts.
It now has an overbore SB block with a CY crankshaft, 1Y head and reground AAZ camshaft. And there is the modified 1Y inlet of course, plus AAZ belt drive, apart from the timing gear which is SB. Not to mention the Fiat pump that Aki's building for me. And add the fact that the drive train is a mix of Passat TD and 2.0 16V, Corrado G60 and Golf VR6 parts, never mind the subframe, steering and rear beam that are from (different) '89 Golf GTI 16Vs...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:23:38 pm by TurboJ »

Reply #294January 10, 2010, 04:27:50 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »
So here's the famous CY crankshaft, that is the first diesel crank this engine has had since the last 15k kilometers!

Oil splash tray with special glue to seal the oil pan...

The special camshaft fitted (presumably) the last time!

AAZ twin-phase injectors

And the inlet/exhaust tracts as finished (you can see the ceramic coating on the exhaust passages):

...and those valve guides you can't really see, aren't standard either, hence why you can't see them  :)

Take notice: Anytime you torque up a head on a VW turbodiesel engine, make sure you have a head gasket of this brand name  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:30:40 pm by TurboJ »

Reply #295January 10, 2010, 04:53:53 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »
The inlet manifold after sand-blasting:

And this is how it looks after all the layers of paint and clearcoat:

I'll still have to grind off the thread pieces and their support, that you can see on the third picture, since they won't clear my new exhaust manifold.

...which looks like this:

Stainless steel, and again, made by Aki. But it's not yet finished - some smoothing and flange work still to be done, apart from the small job of adding a feed pipe for the external waste gate, which is also Aki's custom work. And of course, the mandatory ceramic coating ;) Sorry, no pictures of the W/G yet, but it's pretty trick, I can tell you. And I do like that fact that the W/G is going to be external; it'll be so much more accurate and reliable, not to mention easier to work on and adjust as needed. Way easier to hook up twin downpipes too!

On to the reason why a new exhaust manifold was needed.
The S1GB Schwitzer is a good turbo, but experience from other engines showed that it is still undersized for my kind of power goal. Now that I'm adding H-profile con-rods to the mix, I can reach for as much hp as I can get with driveability still preserved. I think 220 hp should do fine. Anyway, we came to the conclusion that a bigger turbo is a must.
Aki's ample supply of Schwitzer turbo parts resulted in a choice of S2B Schwitzer family as a staring point.

The turbo you see here is basically just a template, this one I'm using to measure everything up and fabricate the exhaust, oil lines, boost pipes, heat shields etc. The S2B that's going to be on my engine will be bigger than this, at least the wheels will be on both sides. About 45 mm inlet and 55 mm outlet sizes, I suspect. Of course, it may require some trial and testing to find the perfect combination on this particular engine. And I will be after a broad, nice power band rather than peak hp, so don't expect any records broken here!

And here's the first part of the downpipe, stainless steel once again:

The D/P and the exhaust manifold were both originally going to be on Aki's own twin-charged 1Y, but I managed to persuade him to part from them, since they really are a perfect fit for for my engine/inlet combo. My job was once again made so much easier with the outlet pipe Aki had made, because it fits exactly with this turbo and the SB rear engine support. The turbo will sit "the wrong way round" since this manifold / downpipe combo had originally been designed for a compound-turbo solution. That also means, that it'll be really easy to convert my system to compound turbo in the future, if that's what we want!

This is all for now, and if you wonder why it took such a long time since the last update, I actually lost my camera battery charger (!) when moving to my current home, and thus could not upload any pictures. Work and school have really taken their toll too, but at least the christmas and new-year holidays have lent me time to get some work done on the Jetta at last!

I really hope my predictions will be more accurate this time when I say I believe I will be able to drive this thing to Mantorp, Sweden, for this year's Bug Run - that's June, so I'll have to be quick about the build!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:29:23 pm by TurboJ »

Reply #296January 10, 2010, 09:55:08 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2010, 09:55:08 pm »
cool work, nice to finally see whats going on again.  the amount of work you've put into this car is insane, i don't think i could ever drive a car i put that much work in to haha.

From what you have seen on other engines, has the hy35w holset been a good turbo?  or is it much too big?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #297January 11, 2010, 10:38:55 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:55 am »
Yeah, It's been a lot of work, and there's still a lot to do...

The HY35 are fine if you have a well prepared head, the right camshaft, intake, exhaust and pump, but on mostly stock engines they tend to be too big. A friend of mine had one, and it didn't work on his AAZ; now it would be the perfect turbo for the engine after it's been thoroughly overworked, and all the above mods done to it.

Next summer we'll have a lot of new experience on different turbos - we should have at least three IDI engines ready for testing, all with a different turbo setup.

I'll head back to the garage now to finish up seam-sealing of the Jetta's underbody! Fun stuff!
Already my nostrils are LY3D-colured and I'm coughing up kerosene fumes etc  ;D

Reply #298January 11, 2010, 11:43:36 am

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:36 am »
With your new connecting rods, have you thought about now going the VNT route?  The rods should have eliminated the last weak link in your setup.  What about something on the lines of a gt2056v?  That should not be very restrictive and it should offer some very good flow even at higher rpm.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #299January 12, 2010, 09:14:23 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:23 am »
No VNTs, at least this time round.
The S2B should be a good basis, there are many housing/wheel combos that can be fitted, and even Holset turbibe housings can be used. Maybe a VNT would be nice for Evo2 build, but more likely I'll do a single turbo again, or maybe a compound. I like to keep things as simple as ever possible, that's like a credo of mine... Hence a 'good old Schwitzer with no waste gate. It'll be fine when we get the right housings/wheels combo going. Will see about that in the summer!

Fixmyvw.com