Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI - Pumpe Duese TDI Engines

PD lift pump pressure

(1/6) > >>

the caveman:
Okay first of all i can't get a straight answer whether 2005 up PD Jetta's have a lift pump in the tank. I seem to remember that at the intro course i
took that even though it wasn't shown in the booklet that the instructor said there was one. In the dealer's parts listing there wasn't one shown neither unless it was search by VIN. I asked one ex co- worker who had a newer book that showed it. I asked another mech who had scrapped one the week before and it had one in the tank. All this to ask if anbody knows waht the pressure is. I know it can't be much but i'd like some reference.

myke_w:
they most certainly do..

they seem to fail a good bit too..

The rail has no way to pull fuel so it has to be supplied from the tank pump

the caveman:
Well that's just it. I don't mean the pump on the side of the head that's driven by the cam, I mean the pump that may or may not be in the tank.

vwmike:
There is still a vane pump on the side of the head (known as the tandem pump) to pressurize the rail to ~100 psi. I don't know if the vane pump actually could pull fuel but I don't think it was really designed to. I have a PD150 in a MK3 Golf and run the standard gasser pump but with a bypass regulator under the car to cut it to about 3 bar and then run a non-return regulator under the hood with a gauge on it to dumb it down to about 10 psi. The tandem pump cannot regulate the inlet pressure (I know, I tested it) so it must be regulated before it reaches the tandem pump.

myke_w:
right, the pump on the side of the head (tandem pump) gets the fuel into the rail, the pump in the tank gets the fuel to the "tandem pump"

the in tank pump is part # 1J0 919 050

All PD's have an in tank pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version