S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1985 Golf Diesel  (Read 3940 times)

April 18, 2005, 11:18:03 pm

GolfmkII

1985 Golf Diesel
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:18:03 pm »
Hi all, I am new to VW Diesels...
I have access to a 1985 Golf Diesel two door car.  It needs the engine replaced with a rebuild.  The person with the car also has a rebuilt block ready to go in.  The car has been sitting in a garage for 10 years...

I was wondering first of all, what engine should be in the car ie. 1.6 1.6 turbo?? Also is there a way to tell by serial number on the block of the rebuilt engine that it is indeed the same type of diesel that the car is.

Another thing I want to know is what should I get put in while having the engine swapped, I am getting a clutch kit, and I was thinking a timing belt. Anything else I should have installed while engine is apart?

Thank you in advance

-Tim

Reply #1April 19, 2005, 11:04:23 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: 1985 Golf Diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:04:23 am »
Quote from: "GolfmkII"
Hi all, I am new to VW Diesels...
I have access to a 1985 Golf Diesel two door car.  It needs the engine replaced with a rebuild.  The person with the car also has a rebuilt block ready to go in.  The car has been sitting in a garage for 10 years...

I was wondering first of all, what engine should be in the car ie. 1.6 1.6 turbo?? Also is there a way to tell by serial number on the block of the rebuilt engine that it is indeed the same type of diesel that the car is.

Another thing I want to know is what should I get put in while having the engine swapped, I am getting a clutch kit, and I was thinking a timing belt. Anything else I should have installed while engine is apart?

Thank you in advance

Replace:  timing belt tensioner.  If you've got the original head, might want to adjust the valves.

It will have a 1.6, probably not turbo.  If it is turbo you will be able to tell by the turbo injection pump (with the boost enrich device on top), the air filter on the left instead of up top above the cylinder head, the oil cooler, and of course, the turbo, which should be fairly obvious as it is bolted to the intake manifold and exhaust manifold behind the cylinder head.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Fixmyvw.com