Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Another M-tdi question <sorrrry>

(1/10) > >>

scottyroccodiesel:
well I have been reading up on this like crazy... from the FAQ thread to everything i can find on here , tdiclub, and vortex(not much of anything there especially brain power).  
I have a tdi engine and pump, I am planning on getting a 1.6 td pump for the mechanical pump.

I am a college student and my funds are, well lets say limited.... My engine came from my moms wrecked tdi so that cost free :) , my first car was a 16v scirocco and I just bought a damn clean one for $200 !!!!! and it has a sunroof!!!!
soo I am pretty electronically declined and have nightmares about swapping over all the tdi electronics.  my dad recommended do a mechanical injection pump.

for my dads prject he sent his td pump into giles but there is noooo wayyy I could spend 900 just to have the pump reworked. so I decided I wanted to do a franken pump with the tdi and a td pump.  I can get a td pump for 150 and I already have the tdi pump so I thought his would be the cheapest easiest way to go.  

so to my main question making the franken pump??..... this is a quote from the FAQ  "swapping in the pump head, plunger and camplate from a TDI pump"  ok so I want to know is this as easy as it sounds ???? would I have to retime the pump???
I would love for someone to give me a step by step on this and maybe some pics if anyone has them?
Is there any mods I can or should do to the pump when I am done?

scottyroccodiesel:
heres my rocco http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3601326

I know lots of people have looked at this but does no one know the answer? or is everyone just hiding it?

Justin:
that is what I originally tried and it ran for a while, but you really need the special tools to check the spacing. Mine after a short while (a day or two of tuning it) wouldnt start and when it did it wouldnt come down below like 1500 rpm.
it basically dropped the shim out and did what I would call a valve float and destroyed the inside of the pump.

I couldnt find anyone to work on a custom pump except for Giles and jacks source over on vwdieselparts. so I had to send it to giles, I know that he costs a lot but a normal Bosch place wont touch it and for performance and value Giles is well spent.

I love mine, I am currently running about 14 lbs of boost, cruise with 6-8 psi and get 41-44 mpg right now in the winter.

good luck
jkeiffer

scottyroccodiesel:
so I really cant do this by myself??

this is a set back...

jtanguay:

--- Quote from: "scottyroccodiesel" ---so I really cant do this by myself??

this is a set back...
--- End quote ---

if you don't have any experience working with precision components, then yes, i would say that you won't be able to make it work.  (it might run, but it won't run good)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version