Author Topic: diesel bov  (Read 4269 times)

February 05, 2007, 05:56:37 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
diesel bov
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:56:37 pm »
so it's not really necessary, but we all know it'd be cool to be able to show off with a kapoosh kapoosh to keep everyone wondering, since the one guy in the diesel thread posted how he did it, i illustrated it, i think i have something wrong, but we'll see once he replies.  i think this would be a nice fun mod, not to mention you could put it on a switch to turn the bov action on and off.

and the original post:

Quote from: GTD.
I saw a few ads on Ebay.co.uk for TD/TDI/HDi dumpvalves kits which were basically a very expensive sliver box (housing a change over solinoid I believe) a micro switch, some wires a bit of tube a few fittings and a dumpvalve with T for around £300>. I decided to see if one could be done on the cheap using parts easily found in a scrap yard.

A mate of mine had a bailey motorsport piston dumpvalve with a t-piece lying around his shed off a petrol turbo project so that was the start of the project.

Firstly you need a source of vacume as a diesel doesent hve a throttle plate (well except on a ford transit diesel with EGR) simplest way is to use the vacume pump for the brake servo so using a check valve with two take off of an old 88 Golf 1.6 auto im braking I then had my vacume source.

Now I needed a way of turning this vacume on and off when the throttle comes to rest. I found an EGR switch that fits on the LDA off a Passat TDI, and I also used an EGR solinoid off the same Passat.

I fitted the LDA mounted EGR switch rigged it to a continuity meter and tested it by pressing and letting go of the accelerator and found it did the opposite of what I wanted, it closed the circuit when the throttle was pressed and opened it when the throttle was at rest.

So I started wiring and plumbing in the dump valve using a change over relay as a "not gate" by using the normally closed (57a) terminal of the relay

I once fitted I took it down the road to test it and found although when the the throttle returned to rest the dump valve would open as there was no boost in the pipe operating the dump valve it would be forced open by boost from the turbo resulting in a leak of boost.

To rectify this I added a second EGR solinoid valve off a VW TDI that was tapped in to the manafold to LDA pipe and connected this to the normally open (57) terminal of the relay the used a T connector to connect the "Vacume" solinoid and the "Boost" solinoid to the dump valve.

Once again I took it out on the road to test and found it worked, and cost me a few pounds in parts.

01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #1February 05, 2007, 05:59:54 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
diesel bov
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:59:54 pm »
nm i understand what i did wrong, this wouldn't work because when you have the pedal floored the bov would open because the boost side of the bov would be receiving boost and the vacuum side would be receiving nothing, which would make the bov open, because it opens unless the 2 sides are getting equal pressure, so technically no vacuum is needed, just an on and off for boost to the one side of the bov, and a constant boost to the other
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2February 05, 2007, 06:02:06 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
diesel bov
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:02:06 pm »
i've got to wait for him to draw it up lol

Reply #3February 07, 2007, 07:18:31 am

GTD.

• Junior

• http://tinyurl.com/6yk84
diesel bov
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:18:31 am »
Plumbing diagram

Wiring diagram

The switch marked LDA is the LDA mounted throttle switch of an EGR equiped TDI/M

I used two EGR solinoids off a TDI/M I also added a couple of check valves of a 1988 MK2 1.6 auto carbed golf just before the T connector just in case

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD
VW Diesel Mehr Kraft. Weniger Verbrauch, Aus Liebe zum Automobil

Reply #4February 08, 2007, 02:13:51 am

OM617

Re: diesel bov
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:13:51 am »
Quote from: Trev0rbr
but we all know it'd be cool to be able to show off with a kapoosh kapoosh to keep everyone wondering,

Actually, it wouldn't. It sounds really terrible and out of place on a diesel that does not need one.

Reply #5February 08, 2007, 08:57:15 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: diesel bov
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:57:15 am »
Quote from: OM617
Quote from: Trev0rbr
but we all know it'd be cool to be able to show off with a kapoosh kapoosh to keep everyone wondering,

Actually, it wouldn't. It sounds really terrible and out of place on a diesel that does not need one.

whats up your butt?