S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Tips for removing injectors...  (Read 2673 times)

October 25, 2006, 12:19:16 pm

houseofdiesel

• Junior

Tips for removing injectors...
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:19:16 pm »
Any tips for removing seized TDI injectors? I have access to normal shop tools...I have #3 just plain seized and #2 the body is unsrewing from the nozzle. I have soaked them with penetrating oil over the last month and kept trying but no luck yet, time is running out I need this car as a winter beater...intake is cleaned, timng belt already done, glow plugs cleaned/tested, new engine mounts etc nothing left to wrench on!
Thanks for any input
Greg

Reply #1October 25, 2006, 01:38:20 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:38:20 pm »
Get a metric nut that fits the top threads on the injector (sorry can't remember the size).
I have a universal puller type tool that has a Vice Grip attachment, I used this to then grip the nut & slid-hammer mine out. Didn't tape a lot of effort once you're applying upward force.

If you have access to a welder, MacGyver yourself up a puller by getting one of those $5 dent pullers from your favourite auto store & welding it to the nut.
Or cobble up something with leftover bits in your shop. Threaded rod + nuts & washers + short piece of heavy pipe?
Anything that will provide upwards tapping without damaging the threads will get them out.

Reply #2October 25, 2006, 03:03:55 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:55 pm »
yea  a slide hammer is the best way/easiest way
i used to have one at work,,,,,,
find an old nut that fits the injector top where the line threads on
you may be able to make a slide hammer with stuff laying around the garage,like a threaded rod,with a nut welded on the end(that fits inj.)
and use an old wristpin for a weight,with a nut on the top for a stop
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #3October 25, 2006, 03:31:37 pm

Slave2School

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:31:37 pm »
The other thing I've heard used is to loosen the injector holder a bit, then turn the car over (you could disconnect the start solenoid so no fuel can flow right?) then it blows the crap jamming them in out from around the base and lifts the injector out a bit freeing it.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

S-PAutomotive.com