Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AHU with Cummins MTDI pump.. Pump timing help  (Read 9548 times)

Reply #15October 18, 2015, 10:00:00 am

shortysclimbin

• Junior

• Performance Diesel Engineering
Re: AHU with Cummins MTDI pump.. Pump timing help
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 10:00:00 am »
On the alignment issue:  I had to machine slots into the bracket and move the assembly over .125" to get the pump to align with the camshaft sprocket.  This was most likely because the sprocket when remachined for the larger shaft was moved in closer to the pump housing. I now have the timing belt tracking on the limits, but it tracks well and the covers all fit so we will check that again in a few thousand miles.  If I was to do it again I would go with a TDI timing gear setup to space it out a bit (info for those doing this type of swap).

Reply #16October 18, 2015, 12:33:59 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »
It sounds like you just moved the pump sideways which is, IMO, the wrong way to go about it.  Did you rotate the sprocket side of the pump DOWN and at the same time rotate the plunger/head side of the pump UP?  It takes very little rotation that direction to make a significant difference in tracking.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:12:31 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #17October 18, 2015, 05:45:02 pm

shortysclimbin

• Junior

• Performance Diesel Engineering
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 05:45:02 pm »
That was the first thing I tried. It solve only a portion of the issue and I tried it twice, the issue was something to do with the sprocket pump and or camshaft. Now alignment wise the pulley is slightly tilted and is slightly further away than the camshaft pulley location.

Any ideas on the rev hang Andrew?

Reply #18October 18, 2015, 06:49:05 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 06:49:05 pm »
Hanging revs are almost always caused the the idle stop being set too high.  Lower the idle.  If you run out of adjustment, jump the accelerator lever to shaft orientation 1 spline so that the shaft rotates CW relative the lever rotating CCW.  You will then need to raise the max fuel screw and idle in order to get back to a reasonable setting. 

Fixmyvw.com