Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: fuel screw ECOdiesel  (Read 3906 times)

Reply #15September 11, 2014, 08:03:23 pm

ropadopa

• Junior

Re: fuel screw ECOdiesel
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:23 pm »
Well its been a few weeks, since the install. i thought i would share some results.

Before the downpipe the car boosted 5-6 psi of boost and you really had to ring it out to get 7-8 psi
After the pipe and removing restrictive semi clogged  catalytic  converter 260K miles.it goes 7-8 pretty quick and 10-11 at high RPM.

After that i did what any other Hot Rodder would do, i tightened the waste gate  spring one turn without much change then turned the fuel screw tight one half turn and two more rotations on the waste gate.

Wow, car feels twice as fast, I mean i can keep up with traffic and drives like a normal car.

Boost goes straight to 10PSI evry gear and stays, until the Florida heat takes away a PSI or 2 , I would imagine a intercooler would solve that.

i tried turning the fuel screw 1/4 more of a turn and no more power but more smoke just wanted to try it to see if there was something i was missing.

I turned the fuel screw back to half turn in from stock and have been drivin it for 7-800 miles and MPG"S are closer to 40mpg when before i was closer to 45mpg.

I may move it back out a fuzz to see how it acts.

Did this with no EGT guage , just seat of the pants tunning. I know this isn't recommended  but im only messing with 10PSI and i figured that since the ECO dosent have an LDA that if anything its gets leaner  the higher the RPM so im hoping it wont be any trouble at this tune. Please feel free to correct my thinking.
1992 ecodiesel

Reply #16September 12, 2014, 01:12:53 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »
I ran my 1.6TD unintercooled at around 15 PSI for many years - just kept the smoke levels reasonable.  Later on I added an intercooler and ran it at about 23 PSI peak for another couple of years before eventually blowing up my transmission.  I never did get my EGT gauge installed on that engine.

Be careful, move things upwards in small increments, keep the smoke level reasonable and you'll do ok.  Just be prepared for some expensive repairs if you go too far.  I really haven't seen many EGT-related failures on the 1.6TDs in terms of the engines themselves, but high EGTs will definitely eat your turbo for lunch.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #17September 12, 2014, 01:34:09 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »
I believe that high EGTs are the reason for cracks in the pre-chambers and high EGTs can make previously small cracks grow very quickly.   If you factor dropped pre-cups into EGT related failures, the number is significant.