S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Idle Change  (Read 1949 times)

July 20, 2012, 01:18:35 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Idle Change
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »
OK so not sure what is going on but, as of right now I am having difficulty finding a good idle spot for my car. When I feel like I found a good spot, it will act up on me. So what has been happinging is when ever I decide to get on then start coming to a stop to make turn or something, as soon as I put the clutch in the car will just shut off. Now I thought the first time was because I had the idle pretty low, 900 rpms. It was pretty choppy and made the whole car shake. So I stepped it up to 1000rpms which was much better feeling at an idle. But did the same thing as before. So i stepped it a little bit more to about 1300rpms, pretty much seeing if my theory was correct. But it still does it. So I started messing with it again today, and what I noticed something very strange to me. I set the idle to about 1100 rpms so it felt comfortable, but I got into the car and the rpms dropped, so i got out not thinking much about it, then it sounded like someone just started putting their foot onto the accelerator pedal. So it turned out that there was a 200ish rpm difference from when I am in and out of the car?!? I am 5'10" and wieght 155. I cant see that causing anything.
What do you guys think? :-\
Tim

“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #1July 20, 2012, 11:03:49 pm

damac

• Veteran

Re: Idle Change
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »
Is the car new to you or did this change occur all of a sudden, after changes you made?

I leave all my engines at just under 1000 rpm like the bently says and I never have issues whether its hot or cold.  When cold using the cold start lever smooths things out until the car warms up.

Only time I have seen what you are talking about is when trying to bring a pump back to life that had its original settings tampered with.  With the fuel screw out too far I was able to set the idle and rev the car out on the tack but when I went for a test drive it was clear very quickly that the car couldn't get out of its own way under power and I had to turn back.  I was able to slowly increase the fuel screw to get the power back that I could compare to the car when it had a good working pump.

I have seen restrictions on the fuel lines and a pump not pumping fuel right to the point of starting a car, letting it idle a couple minutes then driving off and getting stuck with the car dying well before a mile down the road.  I have had this happen to 2 pumps in my time leaving my scratching my head as one of them was in service for quite a while.  Both of those pumps came back to life when I broke them all down, cleaned them and resealed them.  No clue what that was about.

I'm just babbling but we need more a history on your setup.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #2July 20, 2012, 11:25:09 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »
If it is the pump i think, then it is a fresh clean and reseal.

This just started to happen all of a sudden? Like it wasn't this way before? Is it different fuel? temperature?

Reply #3July 21, 2012, 09:46:02 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:46:02 am »
Why yes Jeremy it is a fresh pump ;)
But no this was not an issue before this. The car still has power when ever i want it, I have been fiddling with the fuel screw and idle screw. Yesterday I did get it to a good setting and havent ran into the issue again. I figured it was a pump setting, but i was confused about the idle change when I get in and out of the car...
I know that I am fueling enough, I can easily boost 20psi, but my EGTs are really low.. about 650 F* cruzing and then 1100 F* MAX on hard driving.  Which I feel pretty good about.
How about a fuel filter? could it cause symptoms like this?
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #4July 21, 2012, 10:03:03 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
If the filter is even half questionable, for the $7-40 (depending on brand and style) it will cost you.. you might as well anyway lol.

Well there are two springs inside the 1.6TD pump that are what hold the idle. One spring is directly on the governor shaft/assembly. The furthest spring to the left;

And then there is another small one connected between the internal throttle lever and the lever on the backside of the pump lid with two set screws. It can be seen here in the top picture on the left, and when opened you can see where it connects to the lid lever;

As with all the adjustments done, each has its own effect. I think now with this knowledge you will be able to better tune this pump to work to your liking.

Reply #5July 22, 2012, 03:38:36 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:36 am »
Why yes Jeremy it is a fresh pump ;)

How about a fuel filter? could it cause symptoms like this?
Fresh seals does not always equate to low wear, something cold be hanging up
IMO fuel filter indirectly, restriction allowing a weak hose or clamp to suck air,  when it flops to the 'other' side.
See if you can get bubbles when it's low.

S-PAutomotive.com