Author Topic: More Pintail Info?  (Read 2245 times)

February 15, 2006, 07:46:51 pm

jwspin

• Junior

More Pintail Info?
« on: February 15, 2006, 07:46:51 pm »
i just looked through a few injector posts and i have been searching for more info on ellsbet injectors. ellsbet is an engine builder and they also are one of the most well respected one tank veggie kit producers. ellsbet claims to modify the stock injector to run better on veggie. i know that they bump up the breaking pressure about 5-10 bar but a lot of people are already doing that. they claim that they do some other mod also.

mercedes engines from 83' to 85' are supposedly the best motors to run on veggie oil and i think that it is in part due to the injector design. i saw that jake had posted about CHIP and i would like some more info. he also mentioned something about a flat plate design for the pintail tips which helps prevent carbon build up. im wondering if there is a way we can modify stock vw pintails to have less carbon buildup, and or better atomization? any insight is appreciated.....

-jared

Reply #1February 17, 2006, 04:27:47 pm

jwspin

• Junior

More Pintail Info?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 04:27:47 pm »
jake can you comment a little more on the newer style mercedes nozzles, and or post a picture if possible.

-jared

Reply #2February 22, 2006, 09:56:37 am

jwspin

• Junior

More Pintail Info?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:56:37 am »
one last bump to try to get some info.

-jared

Reply #3February 22, 2006, 11:52:43 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

More Pintail Info?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:52:43 am »
You can buy injectors for the VW and Mercedes designed specifically for veggie oil instead of diesel.
http://www.coloradobiodiesel.com/injectors/index.html
the vegject injectors.  $220 for a set of four.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #4February 22, 2006, 07:24:58 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
More Pintail Info?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:58 pm »
I have only researched some and read about flat-tipped pintle designs; I haven't done any experiments with actually using them in a VW application.

I also have not had problems with the stock VW throttling pintle nozzle carboning up before as seem to be reported by the waste veggie oil users (I only have run petroleum diesel and biodiesel.)

In another post I have given part numbers (both VW and bosch) of the flat-tipped pintles I believe are used in VW (european only) IDI applications.  I would opt for the flat-tipped pintles found in IDI VW applications (swirl prechambers) opposed to those found in Mercedes application, because the mercedes prechambers are a different design (non-swirl chamber) and I suspect require different injectors to give optimal operation than the VW needs.

You are welcome to give them a try in a VW IDI motor for yourself, and if you do, please report back your findings!  If you get a set, try and change only the injectors but leave all other things the same to make it a scientific test of just the effect of the change of the nozzle.  RPM sensing G-tech and/or Dyno results are good, but butt-dyno or acceleration time testing, and check of visible smoke are better than nothing.  An increase in idle speed, or more power and torque noticed after an injector swap generally indicates that combustion efficiency has been made better, and/or injected fuel quantity has been increased.  A decrease in smoke generally indicates fueling has been decreased or combustion efficiency has been increased.  The best possible testing scenario is generally an increase in idle speed and power/torque in conjunction with a decrease in smoke.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #5February 23, 2006, 09:10:37 am

jwspin

• Junior

More Pintail Info?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:37 am »
zyewdal: those injectors are just stock injectors with the pressure bumped up. i am more interested in the ellsbet nozzles because they actually have a different nozzle altogether.
jake: thanks for the info. ill try to get ahold of some of those nozzles and see what results i can get. i too agree that the stock nozzles dont get carbon build up but that could be due to the way that we drive.
thanx again

-jared

Fixmyvw.com