Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Info wanted on this EBAY turbo upgrade for n/a motors  (Read 5128 times)

Reply #15June 12, 2012, 10:16:40 am

JessaBug

• Junior

Re: Info wanted on this EBAY turbo upgrade for n/a motors
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
Jess has a stance that I am taking and that is if he knowingly will produce junk IP, timing betls, piston rings, and such that can kill peoples cars I am not going to buy from him. I am sure there are always exceptions, but I will try not to support him just so he cannot have the money to invest in more junk that could possilbly get worse.

You guys can do what you want, I am just sharing how I feel about it. I think all people should be warned before buying if they can be, but ultimately it is the persons choice on what they buy for their car. I would have liked to have had that when I started buying parts from him years ago.

I will say, I hate taking business away from a place in my own state, but he's not worth my money. His parts are cheap for a reason. And honestly, I value my cars too much to put junk parts in them. I will gladly pay more for a good part that I know will last. As said, some of his parts may be fine, but I won't support his business practices at all.

He KNOWS he sells junk but he won't stand by it and just has sketchy practices, especially with warranty. I know someone who went through 3 IPs and still never got one that worked. And he had already taken apart the pump they sent in for a core so they couldn't get it back. And in those 3, it was over a several month period. His warranty is 6 months on pumps...well, that warranty doesn't restart for each pump, it only applies to the first one. So it was over 6 months by the time the ordeal was over and therefore no more warranty, even though they only had the last pump for a week or 2. Completely ridiculous. They had to fight to get anything back from him, and he still didn't do what he should have.

Another thing...so I believe in order to use "Engineering" in your business name, you need to have a licensed engineer there. They don't. He's not an engineer. And no on there is as far as we can tell. He was reported to the Engineering board here in NC. But of course, nothing happened...because nothing bad happens to Prothe  >:(
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #16June 12, 2012, 03:32:18 pm

Wayland

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 03:32:18 pm »
Another Prothe rant.............sigh.
84 Grumman Olsen Kubvan
93 Dodge CTD Truck

Reply #17June 12, 2012, 03:38:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »
+1 on his pistons, quality product. I am running them. I have heard everything else is junk though.

The ARCO's, for the AAZ, right?  Gonna use them myself.  But yes everything else from Prothe avoid like an STD.

he doesnt sell Arcos that im aware of.. Right Way Industrial pistons is what im used to hearing about..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18June 12, 2012, 05:14:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »
Depends on the day, I had some that came in an ARCO box.

Reply #19June 13, 2012, 09:25:58 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:58 am »

Well, he's still selling parts to people and screwing them over. Gotta keep his name out there. Buy from him if you want, but I won't and I'll steer anyone clear who asks me.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #20June 13, 2012, 12:24:03 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »

Well, he's still selling parts to people and screwing them over. Gotta keep his name out there. Buy from him if you want, but I won't and I'll steer anyone clear who asks me.

basically the same for me. i dont agree with prothes business practices, but i do like his pistons.. he cant really screw those up, since he just re-sells them.

i would not suggest anyone buy ANYTHING else from him tho.. ive heard that his injectors are OK crappy too.. theres someone on the board running a set of them..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:38:35 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #21June 13, 2012, 03:32:52 pm

Wayland

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:52 pm »

basically the same for me. i dont agree with prothes business practices, but i do like his pistons.. he cant really screw those up, since he just re-sells them.

i would not suggest anyone buy ANYTHING else from him tho.. ive heard that his injectors are OK too.. theres someone on the board running a set of them..

I'm not supporting Prothe or his business practices, it's just that so many threads on this site seem to turn into anti-Prothe rants. I did buy a set of 1.6 NA injectors from him. Chinese cheapos of course. I had trouble with one sticking initially, but it seemed okay after awhile. I never pop tested them, but I'm guessing they weren't calibrated properly, as the car still smoked almost as bad as w/ the worn out Bosches I replaced.
84 Grumman Olsen Kubvan
93 Dodge CTD Truck