Author Topic: AAZ valves, springs, and lifters for performance build.  (Read 15656 times)

May 02, 2012, 10:28:06 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

AAZ valves, springs, and lifters for performance build.
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:06 am »
I've done the searches and read what I can about the different varieties of AAZ cylinder heads, with respect to valve sizes, spring types, and spring shims.  I still don't have a clear picture of all the possibilities of valve, spring, retainers, and lifter combinations.

Right now, I have my AAZ head at the machine shop, getting a rebuild for a "hybrid" 1.6L TD block / 1.5 rotating assembly / 1.9 head setup.  This engine will be used for a land-speed record attempt.  It will not need to turn stratospheric RPM's.  My goal is to run through the timing traps at slightly less than 5,000 rpms, but will probably need to wind it up a little higher before shifting each gear.

This will not be a "time bomb" type of engine setup.  It needs to make pretty good power (over 120hp would be nice), but needs to be able to live for some extended full-throttle runs (the race course is 3 miles, flat out.).  It will have plenty of turbo boost, air-to-water intercooler, a top notch injection pump from "The Man" in Canada, and a big oil cooler.

Anyway, the head as I recieved it was set up for 8mm valve stems, and used the single spring configuration, with steel seats under the springs.

Reading up on the various combinations, I'm trying to figure out a strong, reliable, affordable spring & valve combination.  Here in the US, most shops are not familiar with the AAZ engines. 

I have not yet seen a factory set of valves with 7mm stems for both intake and exhaust valves for this head.  I'm not even sure that an AAZ head ever existed with 7mm valves for both intake and exhaust.

Can anyone guide me to information about whether there are any other factory VW engines that can share valves with the AAZ, or a source for 7mm replacement valves for the AAZ?  I have some 7mm valve guides that came with the head, that have not yet been installed.  Should I keep the "stock" 8mm valve configuration, or try to figure out a combination of parts that will let me use 7mm valve stems if they are available?  Recommendations are welcome.  My machine shop says that the 8mm valves that were with the head are OK to use, but if there are 7mm available, they should allow for better flow and lighter valvetrain.

I have similar questions regarding valve springs.  I think I would feel better knowing that I was running dual springs on this engine, but don't know if it's worth the effort.  I have "heard" that the springs may be interchangeable with 8V gasoline engine springs, but don't have a way to confirm that.  The same goes for the hydraulic lifters - any recommendations for those?

I'm hoping this topic will spark a discussion of the performance options for building an AAZ head.

Thanks in advance.

Steve M.

Reply #1May 02, 2012, 11:51:48 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: AAZ valves, springs, and lifters for performance build.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:51:48 am »
I've done the searches and read what I can about the different varieties of AAZ cylinder heads, with respect to valve sizes, spring types, and spring shims.  I still don't have a clear picture of all the possibilities of valve, spring, retainers, and lifter combinations.

Right now, I have my AAZ head at the machine shop, getting a rebuild for a "hybrid" 1.6L TD block / 1.5 rotating assembly / 1.9 head setup.  This engine will be used for a land-speed record attempt.  It will not need to turn stratospheric RPM's.  My goal is to run through the timing traps at slightly less than 5,000 rpms, but will probably need to wind it up a little higher before shifting each gear.

This will not be a "time bomb" type of engine setup.  It needs to make pretty good power (over 120hp would be nice), but needs to be able to live for some extended full-throttle runs (the race course is 3 miles, flat out.).  It will have plenty of turbo boost, air-to-water intercooler, a top notch injection pump from "The Man" in Canada, and a big oil cooler.

Anyway, the head as I recieved it was set up for 8mm valve stems, and used the single spring configuration, with steel seats under the springs.

Reading up on the various combinations, I'm trying to figure out a strong, reliable, affordable spring & valve combination.  Here in the US, most shops are not familiar with the AAZ engines. 

I have not yet seen a factory set of valves with 7mm stems for both intake and exhaust valves for this head.  I'm not even sure that an AAZ head ever existed with 7mm valves for both intake and exhaust.

Can anyone guide me to information about whether there are any other factory VW engines that can share valves with the AAZ, or a source for 7mm replacement valves for the AAZ?  I have some 7mm valve guides that came with the head, that have not yet been installed.  Should I keep the "stock" 8mm valve configuration, or try to figure out a combination of parts that will let me use 7mm valve stems if they are available?  Recommendations are welcome.  My machine shop says that the 8mm valves that were with the head are OK to use, but if there are 7mm available, they should allow for better flow and lighter valvetrain.

I have similar questions regarding valve springs.  I think I would feel better knowing that I was running dual springs on this engine, but don't know if it's worth the effort.  I have "heard" that the springs may be interchangeable with 8V gasoline engine springs, but don't have a way to confirm that.  The same goes for the hydraulic lifters - any recommendations for those?

I'm hoping this topic will spark a discussion of the performance options for building an AAZ head.

Thanks in advance.

Steve M.

why do you need the 1.5L bottom end if not for revs?

or is this for that stupid displacement limit?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2May 02, 2012, 11:55:42 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:55:42 am »
Displacement limit for the class.

Steve.

Reply #3May 02, 2012, 11:55:49 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
IIRC all 8v hydro components should work with the AAZ head minus the cams from gassers. Check it but that is what I believe is accurate from discussion. I do not know if the dual spring will be needed. Your engine and its rev characteristics will be based on what Giles does with the pump. The same 8v single spring gas head will rev well beyond 6,000 rpm, so the head isn't the limiter. The pump will be, have Giles set it to what you need.

The TDI valves, guides, retainers, and seats could be used in your AAZ head. Then you find all the 7mm stuff you want.

I am having my 1.6 head built to the same specs at Air Cooled Engines Plus in Tiffin. If you want something and can't find it he will make it. I have stainless swirl polished valves being made now for it since no one is making them in production.

Reply #4May 02, 2012, 12:56:11 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »
I believe the tdi valves are a different height than the AAZ ones.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #5May 02, 2012, 08:04:31 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:04:31 pm »
My AAZ head used dual valve springs. I havent seen any with single personally.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #6May 03, 2012, 08:32:47 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:47 am »
I have only seen one AAZ head (the one I have), which has the single springs and the lower seats.  Apparently, there are at least 3 configurations with respect to the springs - single springs with lower seats, single springs without lower seats, and dual springs, which I assume use the lower seats.

There don't seem to be major problems with any of the setups, and I haven't been able to find the reasoning behind the changes.  Right now, I think I'll put it back together with the same setup that it had originally (single springs with lower seats).

Steve.

Reply #7May 03, 2012, 07:09:34 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »
Just an FYI if its important. The dual springs in my head have lower seats also.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #8May 03, 2012, 07:12:12 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:12:12 pm »
I believe the tdi valves are a different height than the AAZ ones.

they are different length, 99% sure ive read that somewhere..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #9May 03, 2012, 07:57:50 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »
Tdi valves are bit of a different length but they are the same diameters so there's not really a reason to worry about them anyway.  The valve guides and retainers are the same on gassers so long as u get the 3 groove but it's not like ur gonna gain a bunch of hp there haha.  I would just do a ported head with 7mm valve stems with a good turbo and pump you'll set a record for sure
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #10May 03, 2012, 08:10:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »
Tdi valves are bit of a different length but they are the same diameters so there's not really a reason to worry about them anyway.  The valve guides and retainers are the same on gassers so long as u get the 3 groove but it's not like ur gonna gain a bunch of hp there haha.  I would just do a ported head with 7mm valve stems with a good turbo and pump you'll set a record for sure

i still think the 1.9 head on the 1.5 rot/assy is going to be too much. (not enough compression to run efficiently)

i would build a 1.6 head also, just for incase you have to swap the head to get it to start good, and make decent power..

for what you are asking the engine to do, i would think that a ported 1.6 head would be BETTER, in terms of efficiently making power.

low compression is NOT good on these IDI engines..

there have been a couple 1.5/1.9 engines built, but none of them actually saw the light of day that i know of, due to starting/running issues..

i believe Sauerkraut built one, but ended up not going that route, because of (LACK OF) compression..

Reply #11May 03, 2012, 08:11:31 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:31 pm »
i WANT this engine combo to work out in the worst of ways.. trust me.. but i just dont see it happening.

there are substantial issues that arise when using a 1.9 head on a 1.6, and they are going to be WORSE with LESS displacement..

Reply #12May 03, 2012, 08:32:37 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:37 pm »
im optimistic, its certainly not a set up for a daily driver, but i think the only issue will be starting not not how it runs
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #13May 03, 2012, 09:00:44 pm

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
From the sounds of it, once it's fired up and warm, the low compression ratio should be fine. The things only going to be making power on boost, so at a certain point the cr won't make a huge difference to combustion. If it won't start at that low pressure, machine up some glowplug blanks and start it on ether. Either that, or pre-boil the coolant and get the engine to operating temperature before it fires up.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #14May 03, 2012, 09:11:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
If the TDI valves are a different length have the machinist cut some off and if nessesary cut new groves for the keepers. Or like I said have air cooled engines plus do the dirty work for you.

S-PAutomotive.com