S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 89 Injection Injector Pump  (Read 1698 times)

December 29, 2011, 10:47:01 am

VW

• Junior

89 Injection Injector Pump
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
OK, I bought a complete 89 1.6 N/A motor a while back. It has what looks to be the same round part on the top of the IP as a Turbo IP? The part that I believe increases the amount of fuel when under boost?

I have seen a few other late 80's, early 90's 1.6 IP's with the same thing on N/A motors.

I had an 85 Real Turbo IP I compared it with and the only thing I could see different was the location of the little vacuum line. One on top of the little round part and the other had it below the round part.

What are the chances the IP I have is an actual Turbo IP and is there a  serial number or something I could verify if it was or not?

If it is not a Turbo IP how hard would it be to convert it to one?

If there are any other posts that cover this topic, I appologize. I didn't know how to search for this exactly.

Please help me locate those links if anyone knows of any.

Thanks, VW

Reply #1December 29, 2011, 01:41:16 pm

BillyWillicker

• Junior

Re: 89 Injection Injector Pump
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:16 pm »
It's an "altitude compensating" injection pump.  It can be converted into a turbo pump by swapping some springs and the "boost pin" and the pressure port location.

Reply #2December 30, 2011, 12:24:27 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: 89 Injection Injector Pump
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »
OK, I bought a complete 89 1.6 N/A motor a while back. It has what looks to be the same round part on the top of the IP as a Turbo IP? The part that I believe increases the amount of fuel when under boost?

I have seen a few other late 80's, early 90's 1.6 IP's with the same thing on N/A motors.

I had an 85 Real Turbo IP I compared it with and the only thing I could see different was the location of the little vacuum line. One on top of the little round part and the other had it below the round part.

What are the chances the IP I have is an actual Turbo IP and is there a  serial number or something I could verify if it was or not?

If it is not a Turbo IP how hard would it be to convert it to one?

If there are any other posts that cover this topic, I appologize. I didn't know how to search for this exactly.

Please help me locate those links if anyone knows of any.

Thanks, VW
If the 1/4" line goes to the top, then it's a a turbo pump. Try posting some figures from the label.

Trivial point really, but if I were "He who shall not be named"; I'd be saying that a turbo pump doesn't give more power than an n/a pump, but actually restricts the rate of more fuel, so that an n/a pump can give as much fuel as a TD, but may give it too quick if you foot moves too fast ;D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...