Author Topic: Adding a Racor filter.. a few questions?  (Read 4514 times)

Reply #15September 20, 2011, 03:01:15 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Adding a Racor filter.. a few questions?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »
I really doubt 15 gph is enough, isn't the flow at idle something like a liter a minute??
Ahhh at 1ltr per minute isn't that 15.6gph? Right on the money for size if you ask me!
Great idea on the racor though, its nicely sized for a rabbit engine bay! I may have to invest in one of those myself

flow at idle IS NOT 1L/min...

a litre is roughly the same size as a quart, and it takes my car MINUTES to fill up a quart jug (use the diesel to light fires when im in the woods drinking beer with friends)

i bet that the over flow of these pumps is 1L/min when its revved up tho..

and ive noticed no ill side effects from the Racor filter yet, so i imagine i will be fine with a filter that small..

if i were to do it again tho, i would use a bigger filter (probably going to install a bigger element on this filter head) and i would use a filter head with a primer pump built in, since they make them..

you can also get heated filter bowls (think WVO), water presence sensors, all sorts of fun accessories from Racor for these things.

these filters are a bit on the pricey side, but thats what ebay is for.. if you go to a store to buy one tho, dont be surprised if it costs you over 100 bucks for a good filter..

its worth it tho.. the fuel going to my pump is STERILE basically.. and my pump is NEVER going to see a DROP of water now.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16September 20, 2011, 05:09:22 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Adding a Racor filter.. a few questions?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 05:09:22 pm »
From the other site.

1 liter = 1.0566882 US quart

About .440287 quart/min, or .11 gallon/min.

"If the IP flow is less than about 25 litres per hour at idle ---you will never get to really great Smileage. "
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

S-PAutomotive.com