S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: water intrusion  (Read 1745 times)

September 09, 2011, 09:17:55 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

water intrusion
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:17:55 am »
With Irene and the abundant rains around here I found my rear floor carpetting soaked. Where are the spots for water to get in on the MK II's?

Reply #1September 09, 2011, 09:37:38 am

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: water intrusion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:37:38 am »
Irene soaked my floors too.. It drips on my left foot while I drive

Reply #2September 09, 2011, 09:52:00 am

vwnut84

• Junior

• Personal Text
    MK1 - MK4 - W126
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
First things I would check are the vapor barriers in the doors.  It's a sheet of plastic that goes inbetween the door and the panel, and is glued/taped all around.  If that seal is broken, it will allow water to get into the car, usually pooling up in the rear footwells.

Also check the gasket around the air intake for the heating system in the cowl, by this age in the MKII's it's usually not sealing too well anymore. 

-Chris-

Reply #3September 09, 2011, 10:09:16 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:16 am »
Thanlks!!!
 :)

First things I would check are the vapor barriers in the doors.  It's a sheet of plastic that goes inbetween the door and the panel, and is glued/taped all around.  If that seal is broken, it will allow water to get into the car, usually pooling up in the rear footwells.

Also check the gasket around the air intake for the heating system in the cowl, by this age in the MKII's it's usually not sealing too well anymore. 

Reply #4September 09, 2011, 12:55:38 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »
I had an issue with water getting in my trunk. Figured out that the "seal" for the right tail light wasn't sealing so the water would run down the rain channel that surrounds the trunk and instead of exxiting the rear of the car, would drip down the back of the light assembly into my trunk. Resolution? Clear caulk along the edge of the tail light assembly.

Reply #5September 09, 2011, 08:00:47 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:00:47 pm »

And a cheap way I found to fix those vapor barriers, is get some contact adhesive and a heavy mil garbage bag or plastic liner (or even a drop cloth)...rough cut it to size, and then with a fine razorblade cutter, cut it to fit...I think it's even better than factory.
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Fixmyvw.com