Author Topic: I want to put a serpentine belt drive on my 1992 Jetta Ecodiesel with A/C  (Read 9437 times)

Reply #15April 28, 2011, 07:49:03 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On

1) accessory bracket
2) serpentine idler
3) serpentine crank pulley (will this bolt to the 1.6 balancer?) No, it will bolt to the crank gear
4) serpentine 90 A alternator ( do I need a clutching pulley, and if so, why?) See Libby's answer
5) serpentine A/C compressor (need new freon lines -- not same as 1.6 compressor?) correct, not the same
6) water pump pulley (is it serpentine? If v belt, what drives it?) With AC it is V-belt driven off the crank. It shares the belt with the PS pump
7) ps pump (will the 1.6 unit work? What drives it?) I forget how I made it work. It is driven by the crank with the WP
8) Nuts and bolts. They are very different than what you have now
9) serp belt

Tyler

Reply #16April 28, 2011, 12:07:05 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

One further note, the waterpump can be driven with the serpentine as well using a vr6 pulley instead of with the power steering v belt.  The setup on my MK3 1.6 is done this way and works well.  Just an option.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #17April 28, 2011, 01:16:10 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

One further note, the waterpump can be driven with the serpentine as well using a vr6 pulley instead of with the power steering v belt.  The setup on my MK3 1.6 is done this way and works well.  Just an option.

Is it reverse rotation?

Reply #18April 28, 2011, 09:10:29 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
The injection pump is different and the engine has different harmonic frequencies.

I suppose the higher lift of the pump results in shorter injection duration for a given amount of fuel and so the stress on the sprocket would be increased.  Considering the total amount of force for injecting the fuel I imagine the increase is a very small percentage but small percentages can be significant.  I'm also not sure how significant the difference in harmonic vibrations would be.  Those are both good points. 

Also, the injectors on the AAZ have higher opening pressures which lead me to believe that the pump would be under more load. 
Tyler

Reply #19June 05, 2011, 07:13:26 pm

larry104

• Junior

Update: I made a larger diameter pulley for my setup to reduce belt reverse bending. I've put over 1500 miles on it and not one squeal. The belt is still tight and shows no signs of distress. By now the stock arrangement would have needed adjustment. I plan to pile on some more miles to be sure, though I'm fairly confident the problem is solved.  I'm checking on material and machining costs to make kits. If this all works out, just wondering if anybody would be interested in said kit?

Reply #20August 02, 2011, 04:15:23 pm

larry104

• Junior

3,000 mile update: My alternator belt tensioning mechanism continues to function perfectly.

No squeal. No belt damage.  ;D

Fixmyvw.com