S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Adi's GTD  (Read 6686 times)

March 28, 2011, 08:09:01 am

adi

Adi's GTD
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:01 am »
I thought I'd show you guys my recently bought 1991 mk2 golf GTD  :)

I sold my GL project (converted it to digifant 8v GTI) to move onto something new. This is my 9th mk2 now, and it's my 1st diesel one. This came up at the right price (those who know me will know it wasn't a lot), come with Tax till end of July and MOT till the end of September, and 218k miles on it. It drives spot on, is on early hottuning coilovers, and its true what they say, the earlier ones are a much nicer ride, it doesn't crash and knock your teeth out, the ride is actually superb! It has remote central locking, red stripe 90 spec GTI interior, and surprisingly the intercooler has ALL its plastic shrouds :)
3 things broke on the ride home though, a fuel tank strap, the backbox fell apart, and a plastic arch trim nearly went flying! I've since screwed on the arch trim, fitted a gti backbox and removed the hanging tank strap. Only other thing to sort is the rev counter, as the wire has broken off the alternator. This is how I got it...

Then today it went down another inch or so and I've red striped the bumpers. I've also now fitted pressed plates, gti backbox, mk3 weighted shift rod, twin lamp grille and small splitter. I also removed the trumpet from the airbox (as I have done with digifants in the past) so it leaves a big hole in the front of the airbox, makes a loud "whooosh" on boost now lol.

You may notice it has US spec side markers, quite a rarity over here as you can only order them from the US.
The shell is fairly rusty and IMO some bits aren't really worth repairing, so when the MOT runs out I may look into buying a cheap GTI with no engine and re-shell it :)
Comments please  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:14:42 am by adi »

Reply #1March 28, 2011, 09:21:34 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

Re: Adi's GTD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:21:34 am »
noice ;D.  Some spacers would really set that thing off.

Reply #2March 28, 2011, 09:55:44 am

adi

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
hmm, didn't think of that, there is quite a bit of room under the arches with the GTI steelies.

Reply #3March 28, 2011, 01:35:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:48 pm »
hmm, didn't think of that, there is quite a bit of room under the arches with the GTI steelies.

mk2 cars got big fender wells..

compare them to a mk1, you get anything over like 185/60/r14 and they start to rub.. you could probably fit a 205/70/r14 under a mk2..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4March 28, 2011, 03:42:55 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:42:55 pm »
That looks way cool. Why did you go from quad rounds to dual? I have a golf with dual rounds that I'd really like to swap to quad someday.

What's a backbox?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5March 28, 2011, 03:53:57 pm

adi

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
A bit of english-american language conflict there  :o

Backbox is the rear-most part of the exhaust, you may call it a rear muffler. Or the bit that has the twin pipes sticking out the back  :D
I've always prefered twin lamps to quad lamps, just me I guess. Inside the US spec side markers, is the bulb holder the same as the sidelight bulb holder? They don't currently have anything in them and I'd like to make them work. Not had them off yet and I suspect I shall have to drill another hole in my wings (fenders  :D)

Reply #6April 01, 2011, 09:52:01 am

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:52:01 am »
I'm jealous of your intake for the intercooler! Mine is missing  :-\

Nice car, sir! :)
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #7April 01, 2011, 11:43:42 am

adi

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:42 am »
Why thank you  ;D

I was very surprised to find it has all the intercooler shrouds. I might be selling them if I get a front mounted intercooler, they sell for strong money over here as theyre very rare  8)

Reply #8April 01, 2011, 01:42:18 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »
If you do sell them, make sure to let me know! Shipping to Norway isn't that bad, and I get my tax return soon so I'll have some money to spend :D
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #9April 01, 2011, 01:51:28 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:28 pm »
If you do sell them, make sure to let me know! Shipping to Norway isn't that bad, and I get my tax return soon so I'll have some money to spend :D

just missed a GTD intercooler.. tyler in canada had one for a fair price..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #10April 01, 2011, 02:01:20 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
You may notice it has US spec side markers, quite a rarity over here as you can only order them from the US.
The shell is fairly rusty and IMO some bits aren't really worth repairing, so when the MOT runs out I may look into buying a cheap GTI with no engine and re-shell it :)
Comments please  ;D

I can't seem to find any of those around here that aren't cracked or broken by now. Nice car though, doesn't really look that rusty either, at least from what's visible.

I would like to know if the UK GTDs had speedometers in mph or km/h, I have never seen a diesel mk2 VW instrument cluster with both a tachometer and speedometer in miles, it would be a nice thing to have here in the states.

Reply #11April 01, 2011, 03:44:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »
Comments please  ;D

I can't seem to find any of those around here that aren't cracked or broken by now. Nice car though, doesn't really look that rusty either, at least from what's visible.

I would like to know if the UK GTDs had speedometers in mph or km/h, I have never seen a diesel mk2 VW instrument cluster with both a tachometer and speedometer in miles, it would be a nice thing to have here in the states.

some mk2 TD jettas got the gauge cluster w/ a tach. and the speedo was in mph..

Reply #12April 02, 2011, 12:20:09 pm

adi

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »
Comments please  ;D

My clocks have the tacho and the speedo in MPH, however the disel rev counter clocks are rare over here, I believe they were only available on the 90 spec GTD's so fetch quite strong money. I'l take a picture of the clocks if you really want to see them  ;D

Reply #13April 02, 2011, 01:10:44 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »
My friends '85 jetta TD has a tach and MPH speedo. From what I've heard it's normal on turbo models.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #14April 02, 2011, 01:44:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:44:22 pm »
My friends '85 jetta TD has a tach and MPH speedo. From what I've heard it's normal on turbo models.

its normal on SOME turbo models.. not all that ive seen have the 5k rpm tach tho.. ive seen lots with a ghetto clock on that side..

Fixmyvw.com