Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AC DELETE  (Read 12481 times)

Reply #15July 15, 2010, 10:59:59 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

Re: AC DELETE
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 10:59:59 am »
I was looking at an A2 90 amp alternator and comparing it my A1 non a/c alt.  Other than the mounting ears being in the wrong location and the mentioned 6mm : 8mm pivot bolt, I think I can get it to work;  The pulley offset is the same.  The mount's hole/sleeve can be drilled out to accomadate the later 8mm bolt.  Your biggest issue would be finding a non a/c A1 mount.

The link you posted was in a thread I started a few months back.  Last night, I mocked the A2 alt in my car mounted in the A1 non a/c mount.  I'm not sure if you need the added bracket that mounts to the top of the alt mount and ties to the mount bracket.  I figure if the pump/engine mount bracket will support that side of the engine, the stress from tensioning a belt will be trivial. Replace the one pump bolt with a 12.9 grade and it'll be fine....  most likely overkill.

Making the new alt mounting point bar is simple and adding a nice curvature will give it some cosmetic appeal.  Replacing the turnbuckle with a reverse threaded heim joint end link will clean things up, although purely cosmetic, also.

My alt was broken in an accident, so I'll be working on getting the A2 alt mounted.  Tensioning the alt from the top will be way better than the stock method.  It'll save me about $100, too.

-Todd

Reply #16July 15, 2010, 09:58:27 pm

ffgb

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 09:58:27 pm »
Trying to locate a non/ac MK1 bracket is difficult.  MK2 brackets are everywhere in junkyard.  I guess what I am going to have to do is get a mk2 bracket, early mk2 alternator or try and find a diesel alternator new or used, take the pulleys from the mk2, and fab some sort of tensioner.  I wish someone had a concrete idea on the locating what tensioner I could use instead of me trying to fab something up.

Thanks

Reply #17July 16, 2010, 09:47:22 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »
I'm not sure if you need the added bracket that mounts to the top of the alt mount and ties to the mount bracket.  I figure if the pump/engine mount bracket will support that side of the engine, the stress from tensioning a belt will be trivial. Replace the one pump bolt with a 12.9 grade and it'll be fine....  most likely overkill.

There might be some other way to support the upper timing belt cover,
I think that's the main reason for that bracket.

I have a post over on vwdieselparts.com that will show you an adjuster bracket option,
 that will work even with a MK2 gasser alternator.
In my non-AC conversion for my MK2 Golf.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #18July 16, 2010, 10:21:40 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:40 pm »
Not to muddy the waters, but someone was asking about a tensioner system. This one IS a/c equiped, but I think relevant. I was VERY interested in this and even built one. I eventually am going to serp, but this may help someone in the thread or searching later.
http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8173&highlight=belt+tensioner

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:23:34 pm by theman53 »

S-PAutomotive.com