Author Topic: Prothane total kit review inside.  (Read 7857 times)

Reply #15July 02, 2010, 02:32:29 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Prothane mount kit review inside.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 02:32:29 am »
Well, I swapped the rear axle beam bushings today and I can't really feel the difference.
EDIT: I can feel a difference but it wasn't as noticable as changing the front ones.

While swapping axle bushing I decided to put on the poly rear tranny mount.

The vibrations were so bad idling was out of the question, I couldn't even hear the engine unless I revved it above about 1100rpm and while driving my feet tingled and all of the mirrors vibrated real bad.

I returned to the hangar after about 6 miles and put the stock one back on.........and then installed the front torque mount, idling with it is now slightly worse than stock but I'll see how it feels going down the road.

When I swapped the motor mounts around I also put in the upper rear shock mounts, I'll report back on it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:17:44 pm by rabbitman »
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #16July 02, 2010, 10:08:59 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:08:59 am »
Thanks for all the reports. They are appreciated.
Tyler

Reply #17July 02, 2010, 01:14:46 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:14:46 pm »
Thanks for all the reports. They are appreciated.

Thanks Burn :)

The front mount is pretty good, below 830rpm the vibrations are a little rough, above that it easily worth it.

The upper shock mounts made a difference, it's steadier when swerving back and forth. I thought they would make small bumps harsher since the rubber cushion is gone but I haven't noticed anything bad about it.

The kit also comes with an adjustable strut bump stop, I can't figure out how it's adjustable ::), it's 3 pieces per side and like there's some you can use or not use, kinda weird and a pain to install so I haven't done it yet.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #18July 03, 2010, 03:01:53 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Prothane total kit review inside.
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 03:01:53 am »
Well the front mount is coming off as soon as I get the chance. Something mustuv shifted since it didn't vibrate very bad until today. :-\

Reply #19July 03, 2010, 11:51:51 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 11:51:51 pm »
I figure I will get the kit, split the price and give the motor mounts to my bro for his 2.0 swap for half the price of the kit ;) Nothing like being a good opportunist, is there? lol

Reply #20July 13, 2010, 07:05:26 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »
Well the front mount is coming off as soon as I get the chance. Something mustuv shifted since it didn't vibrate very bad until today. :-\

Well I took it off and discovered that the mount bracket was bent making the poly mount sit crooked in the cup. The design of the poly mount is such that it must sit straight in the cup or it binds pretty bad.

I straightened the bracket and put it back together and it's not tooooooo awful bad, with a cold engine it's pretty noisy but for some reason it gets lots better as the engine warms up.

Driving is almost as good as before, the mirrors are blurry but I think shifting is smoother.

I'd prefer a slightly harder than stock rubber mount like TT sells but this will do for now.

Overall this kit is a must have.

Reply #21July 16, 2010, 02:36:32 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:32 am »
Do you have a spacer on the front mount?

Reply #22July 16, 2010, 07:20:04 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 07:20:04 am »
Thanks for the post and info rabbitman. I just ordered the kit for my 82 caddy. Should be here next week sometime. I will let you know how it works after install on my caddy.

Reply #23July 17, 2010, 12:14:59 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 12:14:59 am »
Do you have a spacer on the front mount?

Nope, all that would do is push the mount farther into the cup and I don't know if that would change the feel at all though.

Thanks for the post and info rabbitman. I just ordered the kit for my 82 caddy. Should be here next week sometime. I will let you know how it works after install on my caddy.

Sweet, do they make bushings for the rear axle on a caddy? If you figure out the "adjustable bump stops" let me know.

Reply #24July 22, 2010, 07:20:09 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 07:20:09 am »
Wow! This made a big difference in the drive on my caddy. I would recommend it to anyone. I put the control arm bushing in, the steering rack bushings, the strut bushings, the strut bump stops and 3 of the engine mounts. The front engine mount will be coming out today though it is a little to harsh for me.

Rabbitman the strut bump stops are nice for large dips in the road and railroad crossings. You can use them as 3 pieces or 2 or 1. There is the piece with the shaft and a thick washer (donut) shaped piece and a mushroom head shaped piece. They go on in that order. You can remove the washer if you want more travel then the shaft piece if more travel is needed. I put in all 3 in and seems to be working great for my caddy. There is a big dip in the road on my way home. It was one you had to slow down for or you were not sure where you might end up. Last night took at speed and the bump stops worked perfect. It was not harsh at all just nice and smooth.

Reply #25July 22, 2010, 01:23:29 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
... the strut bushings,

BlastIt, what year model is your Truck - and what kind of strut bushing did you put in ?
Was it Prothane strut bushing ?

I've seen they offer a strut bushing for the early Mk1 - but it doesn't look like anything that would go into my 81 struts. Curious is all.

Reply #26July 23, 2010, 02:58:34 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 02:58:34 am »
Glad to hear it worked for you :D, I still have fun swerving around feeling the difference 8).

I might have to try the bump stops sometime.

... the strut bushings,

BlastIt, what year model is your Truck - and what kind of strut bushing did you put in ?
Was it Prothane strut bushing ?

I've seen they offer a strut bushing for the early Mk1 - but it doesn't look like anything that would go into my 81 struts. Curious is all.

X2

Reply #27July 23, 2010, 06:36:59 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 06:36:59 am »
My caddy is an 82. The bushing went between the strut bearing and the strut. You have to remove the 2 bolts in the engine compartment, compress the spring, when you remove the bearings on top of the strut there is a cupped area the bushing goes in.

Reply #28July 23, 2010, 10:31:25 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
BlastIt, were they like these in this link ?
#22-1201

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/preamk1upstm.html

Where did you get your prothane kit/parts ?

Thanks

Reply #29July 23, 2010, 11:25:55 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 11:25:55 am »
Yes they were like that. I got them from the same place as rabbitman. You Can go to that guys ebay store and he has tons of stuff. I think the store name is Never Enough auto accessories.