Author Topic: Timing Issue-need some help??  (Read 1971 times)

January 11, 2010, 05:25:47 pm

ein bora

• Veteran

Timing Issue-need some help??
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »
Today I spent trying to time my 1.9 IDI. I installed my giles performance rebuilt pump, taking care to line it up to my previously marked positions, put everything to TDC and fired her up. She'd start but won't run and lots of smoke and rattles. After double checking everything - I tried again and it was the same thing. I got it to run by positioning the pump up towards the injectors. It runs good, idles good but I know it's not where it should be. I have a set of timing tools coming but to do in the mean time I used the suggestions of Vince Waldon, a bolt for the pump and a hinge for the cam. Both worked fine but I'm thinking I must be off on one tooth or something on the pump.
Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you can't take advice - then you can't be helped!

Reply #1January 11, 2010, 06:10:34 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Timing Issue-need some help??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
If you got it to idle/run good then that's closer to how it should be than in the nonrun position. ;)
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2January 11, 2010, 06:30:07 pm

deathhare

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »
I had this problem once and eventually found out that I had put the pump pulley on wrong. Even though it went on all the way and tightened up, the keyway and key were not lined up.
Took forever to figure out the issue.  :-\

Reply #3January 11, 2010, 06:32:29 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:32:29 pm »
My opinion.... you've gone as far as you can until you get a dial indicator in there... it will tell you if you're in the zone (and so something else must be going on) or a tooth or more out.

How tight did your locking bolt fit into the sprocket on the IP ?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #4January 11, 2010, 06:52:32 pm

ein bora

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »
My opinion.... you've gone as far as you can until you get a dial indicator in there... it will tell you if you're in the zone (and so something else must be going on) or a tooth or more out.

How tight did your locking bolt fit into the sprocket on the IP ?

Not sure I understand the question, It's on tight - and the pulley is on the right way. What I found was that the bolt I used had a wee bit of play in it as the little bit of pressure of the pump on the bolt would make it lean a bit downwards. I also found that the belt when everything was perfectly lined up sort of wanted to go on between the teeth of the pump pulley. That's way I was thinking maybe I was a bit off on the pump, rather than choose the next tooth down I should be choosing the next tooth up??
Thanks.

Reply #5January 11, 2010, 07:11:55 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:55 pm »
ahhh.....sounds like you forgot to pop the cam sprocket loose, an absolute must. ;D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #6January 11, 2010, 07:33:16 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

Not sure I understand the question,

Yeah I could be clearer for sure.

You mentioned that you used a bolt as a locking pin to align the injection pump to TDC... I was wondering if it was a tight fit.  A little bit of play is fine... in fact, recommended,  for ease of belt installation, but if your locking pin/bolt was quite loose it doesn't take much to be a full tooth out on the belt, and without a dial indicator you'll not know.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #7January 11, 2010, 07:42:18 pm

ein bora

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:18 pm »
ahhh.....sounds like you forgot to pop the cam sprocket loose, an absolute must. ;D

No - I had it loose, The pin fit tight, very tight in fact. Thanks for the advice.

Reply #8January 12, 2010, 03:59:21 pm

ein bora

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »
Okay so I figured out what my problem was - my 1.9 IDI had two TDC marks on the flywheel and of coarse I ended up using the wrong one. After numerous attempts at adjusting and checking everything, today I stumbled upon the second marker.
Set everything up to that - and now it's running perfectly and sit's were it should be. Oddly it ran fine the other way too, but it just wasn't in the right position as to where it was before - so something was wrong. Now I have it set to the marks I made before I took it apart and I'm just waiting for my dial indicator to come in and do a final setting and we should be good to go.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions - much appreciated.

Fixmyvw.com