S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Golf MK4 Head replacement...how?  (Read 3303 times)

October 14, 2009, 02:26:08 am

Torchd

• Veteran

Golf MK4 Head replacement...how?
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:26:08 am »
Hey guys..

I've got a 2003 mk4 1.9 TDI PD 150 bhp, I have not been careful with the oil in my car so my camshaft has given up. I am in Pakistan and this is prolly the only car i have seen here... I've also had a 1.6TD mkII and a 1.9TD MkIII so I have plenty of experience with those older engines but I have never worked on the PD. Now I have a complete good used head and I want to replace the whole head instead of just the came shaft.

I would really appreciate if one of you can direct me on head replacment.
I have the following questions in mind..

1. Do I need any special tools? What type/size are the head bolts?
2. How do I set the timings... cam? crank? and pump(if any) and where are the timing marks?
3. I dont what to use synthetic oil.. which mineral oil is suitable for this engine?
4. Any other thing I should watch out for while Im at it?

Have always appreciated the help from this forum!

Reply #1October 15, 2009, 04:16:24 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Re: Golf MK4 Head replacement...how?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:16:24 pm »
I think that the PD engines are the easyest to do a timing belt to, due to the belt design and the lack of a pump on the belt.
I've never R&R'ed a cylinderhead on a PD, but many belts. There is a couple of special tools needed to do the engine/cam timing.
A tool to lock the crank and a pin to lock the cam. The crank sprocket is eliptical and does require locking and the cam only needs to be locked with a pin at TDC.
As far as the head R&R, you sould really try to get the Bentley for ref.
Depending how far you disasembled the engine now, try to leave the EGR cooler and related B.S. alone to save $ on gaskets.
I know I would def. clean out the intake manifold and EGR if needed. The timing marks for the crank can be located at the trans. bellhousing inspection hole on top. The cam timing marks will be insight on the cam sprocket through its inspection hole when all lined up.
For timing,loosen cam sprocket bolts, position pully to one side, set main tentioner, tighten down cam bolts, remove both locks,roll it overCW by hand an be sure both locks can be set to lock. No need for a computer other than to check your work.
As far as oil, I only run Total 504/507 synthetic. I've heard of destroy'ed cams w/ dyno oil.
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #2October 18, 2009, 11:57:28 am

Torchd

• Veteran

Re: Golf MK4 Head replacement...how?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:57:28 am »
Spearco...

Thanks man! I have done the belt and the head change without any locking tools etc since none were available. The old problem/noise is gone and the timings are spot on cuz the car starts instantly and idles very smooth@ 900 rpms and I am very sure about this work I did.

Now the problem is that when the car starts as soon as it reaches about 600 rpms it switches off and when I keep pushing the starter and floor the throttle it starts and revs too but the reving is lazy and theres clouds of black smoke at the back. If I let it idle for some time the asr warning lights comes on.

I went to a mercedes diagonistic guy and explained this to him and he imediately went and this connected the air flow sensor on the air box. After that when I drove there was no smoke but the reving was still lazy and the turbo was not spooling. He told me the air flow sensor is faulty. Since he is a mercedes guy; told me he didnt have the software for this car so he will get it and told me to bring it tomorrow to run the diagnostics.

Please let me know if you guy have gone through this and know anything about it!

Reply #3October 18, 2009, 02:07:16 pm