S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: IP with 11mm and shimmed gov..problems  (Read 9389 times)

Reply #30September 22, 2009, 05:57:09 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

Re: IP with 11mm and shimmed gov..problems
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 05:57:09 pm »
Im running EXACTLY the same as you, only thing i havent changed, is the internal pressure regulator.. does your transit one up the pressure from the 306 one? as thats what im using..

Other thing, is my 11mm isnt acaully off a transit, its off a "sherpa" van (ldv thing)... but the number on the pump had "414" in it, so its deffo 11mm right??

But the IPR on that pump has a pipe coming off it, that goes to a thing on the front of the pump, which also has a pipe on it that goes to the top of the lda style thing on it, and to somewhere else as well...

Reply #31September 22, 2009, 06:04:06 pm

anto

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »
Yeah should be 11mm. You would know yourself that it was bigger than 9mm anyway?
The lads on here told me to use the transit pressure regulator.
If you take one out of a 306 and the sherpa one the sherpa one should have larger holes in the bottom of it like my transit has.
This affects the pressure, how i dont know but it does lol
Any way you could block the pipes off and use it?
Perhaps you arent advancing properly, that would result in poor performance up the revs?

Reply #32September 22, 2009, 06:08:50 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
I will investigate this regulator, blocking pipe wouldnt be an issuel, cud probs kink / solder it up to stop flow thro it...did you notice a difference after changing it? Or did you change it straight away..

And yeh, the plunger was deffo bigger, dunno if it looked 2mm bigger, but deffo bigger...

It should be advancing ok... i have the advance cover shimmed out by 2 thin metal gaskets from the sherpa pump, did weep a tad to start with, but tightented bolts and seems ok now...

Reply #33September 22, 2009, 06:31:33 pm

dts67

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »
Anto put the lever in a pump and lock the bit were the main fuel adusts it them measure travel of the control color, having the 2 in your hand it actually looks like the pug one has more travel!
My car had its first long run today, no real problems but theres a miss at cruise around 2k rpm but I think its static timing, in the next few days I'll be tuning and report back, darren I'll get you a video before the weekend.
I'm running 11mm transit head with rover springs and shims, pug ip regulator and levers(shimmed gov), 2mm shaved off the advance piston but springs etc standard pug, pug delivery valves. Goes well but if theres room for improvement I'm happy to hear from the pump experts on here, I may try the transit levers as snakemaster has said.

Reply #34September 22, 2009, 06:37:48 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:48 pm »
So do you have to have your max fuel hanging right out far?

Mine screws right the way in, like mine is acaully as far as it will go, and it idles at 950rpm, and dosnt have enough fuel on boost by a long shot...

Reply #35September 22, 2009, 07:18:21 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:21 pm »
So do you have to have your max fuel hanging right out far?

Mine screws right the way in, like mine is acaully as far as it will go, and it idles at 950rpm, and dosnt have enough fuel on boost by a long shot...
you may have to index the throtle shaft (on the spline), and then you can unscrew the max fuel out , you need to take care, to much on the throtle shaft and max screw= big revs =poped engine , this may help
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #36September 22, 2009, 07:24:54 pm

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:54 pm »
the first question that needs to be asked , do you have a lift pump feeding fuel to the injection pump , and  if so , how much pressure is being forced into the injection pump ?

it is very possible your starving for fuel .
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #37September 23, 2009, 04:44:43 am

anto

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 04:44:43 am »
burnt-servo - i thought we didnt need lift pumps when using a bosch pump as the vane pump should suck up all the fuel it needs?

Darren if you cant increase your idle using the fuel screw then maybe your throttle shaft isnt on the right splines like snakemaster said.
First time i started mine i had the fuel screw in roughly where the standard would be and it idled at 2000+rpm so something is not right with yours.
Also it wont advance properly unless you have the correct pressure in the pump regardless of what you do to the cover. If you've low pressure it simply will not move the piston its full length.

Reply #38September 23, 2009, 08:17:25 am

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:25 am »
Maybe my throttle isnt on the correct spline, altho it shud be :S worked fine on 9mm.. and starts revving right from the start of travel..

This about lift pumps... is it acaully ever nessercery on a VE? Ive always thought the more revs your doing, the harder the vane pump is working, so should always be plenty of fuel there for it to work with...

Reply #39September 23, 2009, 01:45:00 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 01:45:00 pm »
lift pump i dont have one on my car , but if i was running high revs and bit turbo +big nozzles , i would fit one , cos your ve pump could cavatate when its trying to suck fuel at high revs and thats not good , i dont think this could be your prob but i have been wrong be fore , is your fuel lines clear blow back to the tank , have you fitted a new fuel filtter , i run a hand pump betwen the filter and pump when it gets sucked in i no the fuel filter is geting cloged, and its handy for priming to  ;)

Reply #40September 24, 2009, 09:40:03 am

anto

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 09:40:03 am »
Primer bulb comes standard on our wee pugs thanksfully.

Reply #41September 24, 2009, 12:42:43 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »
As ant said, we have primer bulbs as standard, ive changed the fuel filter as i did orignally think that maybe its starving,but you can prime the system with primer and get excellent flow.. so i couldnt imagine this is the problem.. ive never tried a lift pump, but i assumed this was never really needed...

Ill try moving the spline one notch on the throttle arm this evening as ive got it off work, ill report back later!

Reply #42September 24, 2009, 03:19:13 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 03:19:13 pm »
Right, have moved the throttle lever, has made a bit of a difference, in that i have now had to wind my max fuel out to make it idle right, but still, cant make it smoke on boost if i try.... the car is bloody deadly at 2500-3200rpm, torquey as buggery, but just dies off like hell... and as before, more you rev it, more it loose fuel and looses boost... Anyone think it is acaully the pump getting starved of fuel? Or is there anything else i can ajust?

Its annoying me, as without a wiff of smoke, its running an easily clean burn on boost, theres gotta be more to be had!

Reply #43September 24, 2009, 06:48:32 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »
is it the same in every gear , warm or normal temp?

Reply #44September 24, 2009, 06:53:22 pm

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »
Same in every gear, warm or cold, dont get my wrong it pulls down low, well low for my turbo, but then it just runs out of fuel, apprently the transit/sherpa levers do have more travel...so i guess ill have to try changing them...how much can i wind the gov shaft back to allow for more throttle travel without buggering up the advance?

And would increasing internal pressure help at all?

Fixmyvw.com