Author Topic: would the car die this way due to alternator?  (Read 5196 times)

Reply #15March 18, 2009, 09:47:46 pm

backwoodsvw

would the car die this way due to alternator?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:46 pm »
TY JT..I moved to the middle of nowhere, south of Bancroft, but make trips to my hometown on a regular basis.  Would love to see it..

The fan is next on my list of things to troubleshoot, as it is not coming on..I ran her up to temp with the rad cap off.. squeezing lines as I went to purge any airlocks..

however the top rad hose feeding back to the plastic manifold thing on the head is hot hot.. the bottom hose to the rad, is cool to the touch.  Does this point to T-STAT, or a plugged rad?  I don't think I should completely trust the temp display in the car, but it barely gets past standing strait up and down..

I have the Haynes manual which gives a quick test procedure for the fan motor and switch.. so I'll tackle that in the AM.

the leak I mention a few posts above.. after some reading, is actually a pressure release? ,from the lower circled area and that rubber boot (circled above) fits over it I am assuming?
My book has no pics of the IP that help for the year of motor in this car.

I found the boot tucked behind the IP.. don't think he had it hooked up.. leaked all over the rad hoses I took off making them gooey.

I do actually have a leak from the circled return line in that injector.. smokes a bit as she heats up..  I just have to source some line and replace them all since I"m there anyways.

My last problem is this free wire.. it was the one that I thought was for the fuel shut off solenoid.. but clearly shuts off its 12V after temps come up.. so if anyone has any ideas where I should be hooking up to considering info above... I"m all ears.