Author Topic: New Battery dead after sitting 2 weeks  (Read 3311 times)

August 19, 2005, 01:12:16 pm

toganet

New Battery dead after sitting 2 weeks
« on: August 19, 2005, 01:12:16 pm »
Hey all.  First post here, but I've been reading a lot since I got my '91 Jetta ECODiesel back in May.  All was well until about 2 weeks ago, when I turned on the heat for the first time -- and was greeted by a cloud of coolant.  My research pointed me to the heater core, which I have on order (another story).  In the meantime, I parked the Jetta in my driveway.  Yesterday I went out to move the car, and found the battery was dead.  I was able to jump it, and drove around for a while, but the battery did not seem to charge much, and I am not sure whether it's the battery or alternator.  The alternator is relatively new, as is the batter.

Any advice on how to determine which it is, without having any "fancy" equipment?

Reply #1August 19, 2005, 03:28:32 pm

A Guy

New Battery dead after sitting 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:28:32 pm »
a basic volt meter(multimeter) attached at the battery post will tell you if you alternator is charging properly. With the blk on neg post, red on Poss. post and swithed to measure volt you should get a reading over 13 V and under 14V If you get this reading your alternator is good battery bad.  If not you will probaly need new brushes in your alternator.   You should be able to pick up a basic multimeter unit at your local cheap parts/gadget store for under $10.  Good luck
Greg

S-PAutomotive.com