S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Switched to synthetic trany oil, now the tranny is loud  (Read 4022 times)

August 15, 2005, 05:15:54 pm

insdtanoodles

• Junior

Switched to synthetic trany oil, now the tranny is loud
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:15:54 pm »
I just switched to synthetic as I try to get my diesel to get better mileage, currently getting 8L per 100km :cry: and now when I am driving over 60km/h I can hear the transmission whine and it gets louder as I go faster. Is this because the oil is so much thinner then the old stuff I drained out of the tranny? It was like molassis. The oil I am using isnt anything special since it is hard to find any oil that canadian tire doesnt carry so I am using their 75W90 synthetic gear oil. Is there anything I can do to make it quiter or will it adventually quite down on its own, thanks.

1996 vw jetta AAZ

Reply #1August 16, 2005, 01:19:25 am

Blades

Switched to synthetic trany oil, now the tranny is loud
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 01:19:25 am »
oem VW tranny oil or Redline MTL oil

anything else = boom.

Reply #2August 21, 2005, 12:16:57 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Switched to synthetic trany oil, now the tranny is loud
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 12:16:57 am »
Quote from: "insdtanoodles"
I just switched to synthetic as I try to get my diesel to get better mileage, currently getting 8L per 100km :cry: and now when I am driving over 60km/h I can hear the transmission whine and it gets louder as I go faster. Is this because the oil is so much thinner then the old stuff I drained out of the tranny? It was like molassis. The oil I am using isnt anything special since it is hard to find any oil that canadian tire doesnt carry so I am using their 75W90 synthetic gear oil. Is there anything I can do to make it quiter or will it adventually quite down on its own, thanks.

I don't think that's the correct oil.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #3August 22, 2005, 09:00:38 pm

hoyt

• User+

• http://www.zoiedog.com/hoyt
Re: Switched to synthetic trany oil, now the tranny is loud
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:00:38 pm »
Quote from: "insdtanoodles"

Is the 75W90 oil a GL4 rated oil?  If not then you got the wrong
stuff in your transmission.  GL5 rated oil is NOT the right stuff, you have
to get a GL4 rated oil.  Redline MTL is GL4 rated.
--John
  '82 Diesel Vanagon