S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: headliner install, how to?  (Read 3393 times)

July 30, 2008, 03:36:33 pm

79rabbit4dr

headliner install, how to?
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:36:33 pm »
I need to finish pulling the headliner out of my 79 gasser and then install it in my 81 diesel, I've swapped almost everything else over except the headliner because it seems to be tucked into the windshield on the 79. Should I just cut it or is there a more professional way to swap it over completely?

pix for clix:

the interior from the gasser

the carpet from the gasser

carpet pulled

THE DIESEL!

old seats

old carpet

seats from gasser (still dusty)

interior pulled from diesel

79 interior installed into 81

painted some of the dash pieces

Reply #1July 31, 2008, 12:57:13 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »
Don't cut it! pop the windsheild out. There are metal clips that hold it in so you won't be able to just pull it out. You need to remove the windshield to do it properly
Tyler

Reply #2July 31, 2008, 01:32:17 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:32:17 pm »
I think you'll have a problem installing the 79 headliner in the 81, since the 79 rides on bows, that the 1981 is not equipped with. You'd have to glue the 1979 headliner onto the 1981's backing board. Even then, I'm not entirely certain it would work.

Good luck either way!

Reply #3October 14, 2008, 04:18:09 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 04:18:09 pm »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
Don't cut it! pop the windsheild out. There are metal clips that hold [the headliner] in so you won't be able to just pull it out. You need to remove the windshield to do it properly

Any idea how to pop the windshield out without breaking or cracking it? The windshield in the gasser was all cracked so I just busted it out, shoulda practiced on that one now that I think about it. :oops:

I test fitted the head liner into the diesel, will fit perfectly.

Quantum TD;
I transferred all the metal clips that hold in each of the support rods/bows (whatever they're called) over and as long as I can figure out the windshield, it'll be golden. I'll try to post some pix.

Now if only I hadn't sold my red sun visors!  :evil:

Oh, I do have to figure out some kind of roof insulation, the diesel is bear metal right now and the original insulation from the gasser is falling apart. I was thinking some of the silver bubble wrap insulation stuff that's pretty thin, plus I have left over.

Thoughts? Suggestions?