S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: G-Teched my 1.6TD - Baseline Runs  (Read 85461 times)

Reply #75June 10, 2005, 12:11:47 pm

shox75

• Junior

G-Teched my 1.6TD - Baseline Runs
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2005, 12:11:47 pm »
umm $110 for pistons is a litle to much.
How much oversize are they?
mine were .020" over, so it sthe next size after stock.
i think max is .040" over, cnat realy bore anymore then that, form what i've been told.
also valves are usually pretty good in vw's, its the guides that wear, u probably wont need them, only reason i changed my exhaust valves is because they were hitting the pistons.
Yeah they are CAN $. VM Autohaus is in burnaby, i think they can carry out parts locally. your in abbotsford arent u?
Sabi Szilagyi
'90 Jetta TD

Reply #76June 10, 2005, 12:32:36 pm

935racer

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2005, 12:32:36 pm »
I just called VM autohaus and they qutoed me 108 for each piston, 020 overbore. They were gotze brand pistons I can get the original kolbenschidt for considerably cheaper... hmmm do you have an acount with them or something? Mark, we need tog et your engine out and I'll rip it apart and take it to a mchien shop to make sure the block can still be salvaged.

Reply #77June 10, 2005, 12:43:14 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2005, 12:43:14 pm »
Quote from: "shox75"
umm $110 for pistons is a litle to much.
How much oversize are they?
mine were .020" over, so it sthe next size after stock.
i think max is .040" over, cnat realy bore anymore then that, form what i've been told.
also valves are usually pretty good in vw's, its the guides that wear, u probably wont need them, only reason i changed my exhaust valves is because they were hitting the pistons.
Yeah they are CAN $. VM Autohaus is in burnaby, i think they can carry out parts locally. your in abbotsford arent u?

IIRC these 1.6TD oversized pistons are 1.00mm larger (just under 0.040"). I was told the size but forgot to record it. Will check again tomorrow. $110 for the piston is already below MSRP but $80 does sound better.

The valvetrain parts are for the 1.9L head. I don't know exactly what the condition of the 1.9L head is as I haven't received it yet but I was told it needs a rebuild. Small valvetrain parts aren't *that* expensive either so a new set would be nice.

I live in North Delta but I work in Vancouver Mon-Fri and go to Abbotsford, Aldergrove, and Chilliwack for diesel stuff. JS Performance in Abbotsford is also my storefront for TDI parts and custom chip programming (usually weekends for chipping). Yeah, I drive a lot :P

I checked out VM Autohaus a few months ago and their prices seem good. I'll get a full TD parts quote from them soon. *edit: nevermind, looks like 935racer already did it for me :)

Thanks,
Mark
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #78June 10, 2005, 12:45:48 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2005, 12:45:48 pm »
Quote from: "935racer"
I just called VM autohaus and they qutoed me 108 for each piston, 020 overbore. They were gotze brand pistons I can get the original kolbenschidt for considerably cheaper... hmmm do you have an acount with them or something? Mark, we need tog et your engine out and I'll rip it apart and take it to a mchien shop to make sure the block can still be salvaged.

Do you know the difference in metal type/longevity/etc. of gotze pistons vs. kolbenschidt pistons? Are both available in 0.020" bigger size? shox75, can you tell me which type pistons you got for $80 ea.?

As for machining, sounds good. They can bore only cylinder #4 (worst damage) and see if the scores are removed... then proceed to do all other cylinders.

I'm off work at 4:00pm and it's usually a 1 1/2 hour drive to Abbotsford so I'll be there at 5:30pm if we can tow the Golf to the Aldergrove shop. I'll have to head out sometime after 9:00pm to go to Richmond so I've enough time for the tow and block disassembly.
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #79June 10, 2005, 01:02:29 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2005, 01:02:29 pm »
Quote from: "935racer"

By the way, Dave, we're set up to buy your PD130 today. It needs to be crated a bit more for safety during shipment so it will go out of Ireland by mid next week.

Also, check your PM about a VNT20/GT22v turbo that is available now for your PD130.
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #80June 10, 2005, 01:03:25 pm

shox75

• Junior

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:25 pm »
i cant remember wat kind of pistons i got, but i do get a discount there. Tell them that Sabi referred you and to see if they can match $80 the price i payed, make sure you talk to Chris at VM. He's the guy i deal with.
VM should know wat kinda pistons i used.
Good Luck, did you get similar prices at Dun-Rite?
Sabi Szilagyi
'90 Jetta TD

Reply #81June 10, 2005, 01:08:11 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2005, 01:08:11 pm »
Quote from: "shox75"
i cant remember wat kind of pistons i got, but i do get a discount there. Tell them that Sabi referred you and to see if they can match $80 the price i payed, make sure you talk to Chris at VM. He's the guy i deal with.
VM should know wat kinda pistons i used.
Good Luck, did you get similar prices at Dun-Rite?

I'll go by 935racer's machinist first and then maybe visit Dun-Rite for a quote. If I go to DR I'll tell them that you sent me.

Thanks,
Mark
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #82June 19, 2005, 04:21:28 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2005, 04:21:28 pm »
An update:

I no longer need this (Image: Factory A4 TDI intercooler):

... as I picked this up yesterday (Image: Precision Turbo & Engine intercooler with 21"x6"x3.5" Garrett core):

I also picked this up, today (Image: Taylor battery relocation kit):

The 1.6 block was removed from my Golf & disassembled at Dave's (935racer) new shop as of a few days ago. We're still waiting for my 1.9 head before sending it to a machinist with the block. O-ringing will be done.
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #83June 19, 2005, 04:56:57 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2005, 04:56:57 pm »
Mark, kudos on pressing forward despite recent engine troubles.

That is a nice looking cooler... it looks like it will flow well, with little pressure drop.  I hope the install goes smoothly into the nose of the A3.

Would love to see some pics and hear the details of how the o-ringing is performed!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #84June 19, 2005, 07:29:51 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2005, 07:29:51 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Mark, kudos on pressing forward despite recent engine troubles.

That is a nice looking cooler... it looks like it will flow well, with little pressure drop.  I hope the install goes smoothly into the nose of the A3.

Would love to see some pics and hear the details of how the o-ringing is performed!

Thanks Jake. I'm happy with the intercooler choice. The other intercooler I was considering was "Johnny Racecar", which is far cheaper. Its end tanks are not that great (still not bad considering the price though) and it has a thinner 2.75" core.

Engine rebuild/intercooler installation pictures to follow.
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #85June 28, 2005, 11:12:53 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2005, 11:12:53 am »
935racer called a few local machinists for o-ringing quotes and they all recommended against o-ringing both the block & head because they believed it's unnecessary for my setup.

I'm starting to agree that o-ringing it all may be overkill. A 1.9L headgasket and good Raceware head studs will likely hold up fine. I will be running approx. 26 PSI boost with the GT20 and will not exceed 30-35 PSI with any turbo anytime.

Comments?

It should be noted that improving the head flow may lower the pressure/resistance between the head and turbo. Thus, at xx PSI there'll be more air crammed into my cylinders compared to a stock 1.6TD head.
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #86June 28, 2005, 11:32:48 am

935racer

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2005, 11:32:48 am »
Mark I am still planning on geting the block o ringed, just not the head as well. I think it will hold just fine. Its miles better than what you had before.

Reply #87June 28, 2005, 03:10:02 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2005, 03:10:02 pm »
It sounds like you are planning on using o-rings in conjunction with the factory head gasket, rather than o-rings instead of the factory head gasket - yeah?  I can see how that would be a lot easier, as you would maintain the factory gasket to seal all the oil and coolant passages.

I'm interested in hearing more details as it happens, IE: if you end up making the o-ring groove in the shape of a circle of if you make it with a "bulge" surrounding the prechamber area, how deep of a groove you cut and how thick of o-ring wire you use and what material, etc.  I haven't heard how these details are done on an inline VW block before and am looking forward to see it!  And of course, want to hear how it works out in the end too!  :wink:

I have a hard time seeing how a multi-layer steel gasket could "blow out" from too much combustion chamber pressure like a fiberous one can.  I mean, it's pretty much solid metal when clamped down...  I had a fiberous one have it's fire ring "blow out" sideways towards a cooling chamber opening, allowing combustion gasses to escape into cooling system, when I was experimenting with LPG fumigation and it detonated too heavily.  The fiberous "backing" of the OEM head gasket is just not very strong.  I have not heard of this happening from simply running too much boost, but haven't experimented myself with a whole lot either, maybe others on this board can tell you of how much they have safely managed to run on these blocks.

Good luck!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #88June 28, 2005, 06:43:45 pm

935racer

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2005, 06:43:45 pm »
Yeah I am or ringing the block and using the a 1.9 metal head gasket and head. O ringing the head and block was gonna cause too many issues and would require a custom gasket to ensure the coolant wouldn't piss around everywhere. I'm sure mark will take pics on monday when the maching is all done. Tomorrow I will get the block back from hot tanking and powdercoat it near chrome. so it will be the most pimpin diesel around. Than on thursday it goes back the machine shop to get intermediate shaft races re installed ( had to take the ones out I just put in because of hot tanking) and the cyclinders bored .040 over and than the block will also be O ringed. I won't get it back on friday cause its a holiday up here (canada day) so I should have it back on monday and I will start the short block assembly. I will get all new valves and a 3 angle valve grind and I'll port match and polish the manifolds/head. Once I get all that doen and the head on the block I am gonna take it to colt cams where it willg et a custom ground cam. And than when thats done I'll pwdercoat every piece possible and put he pump back on and time the engine and throw it back in marks car and bam hes gonna have the fastest 1.6 around.

Reply #89June 29, 2005, 02:54:59 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2005, 02:54:59 am »
Sounds great Dave.

I finally got the camera back and took a few pictures.

This is my first item that was powdercoated by Dave's new powdercoater. Turned out real nice on the first try; definitely looks good enough for a rear engine mount:

Various powder colours:

The #4 piston damage looks ghastly. The other pistons aren't scratched much, last I checked. I found it interesting that the #4 oil squirter was broken while the others were fine. Four brand new oil squirters are being ordered.

1 of 4 new pistons:

New clutch to go with a 210mm pressure plate. Brett plans to shave the flywheel :twisted: (not pictured at this time)

I've got some pictures of Dave's PD130 Caddy project. I'll post them in a new thread as his project progresses.

The Golf as it sits now:
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Fixmyvw.com