Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Why the heck did this happen? (broken piece pics inside)  (Read 7934 times)

Reply #15March 26, 2005, 01:57:01 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Why the heck did this happen? (broken piece pics inside)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 01:57:01 pm »
While the bentley manual may state that the cam locking tool should remain in place and take the torque of tightening the bolt, chances are good that you will break the cam if you do this. I've seen it happen many times. Some aftermarket manuals do suggest the use of a counterhold tool to avoid breaking the cam, though the bentley does not. It's ultimately your choice I guess...

Reply #16March 27, 2005, 04:33:00 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
While the bentley manual may state that the cam locking tool should remain in place and take the torque of tightening the bolt, chances are good that you will break the cam if you do this. I've seen it happen many times. Some aftermarket manuals do suggest the use of a counterhold tool to avoid breaking the cam, though the bentley does not. It's ultimately your choice I guess...

I'll second this...
Whilst the Bentley is the best of the bibles; bibles can be wrong too!
If you use the slot as a resistance to torqueing  then there is no going back after a mistake. If this slot is there for this purpose then at the bottom of the slot the machining will be radiused..If it finishes with sharp corners (I don't know this but I strongly suspect it is the case)Then that is not its purpose (leverslot)
Use slot to nip up pulley nut  Clean pulley hole and cam taper with scouring powder... 'make like your valve grinding'... CLEAN OFF and leave dry.  pulley will now grip cam with bolt little more than finger tight (but do use a spanner :wink: )Finish off with grips on cam shaft...

:idea: Rotate engine by hand a few times and recheck timing :idea:
 :idea: Use feeler gauges packed in slot as well as timing bar for accuracy :idea:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #17March 28, 2005, 12:29:00 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
The slot can hold the required torque to tighten the cam bolt guys.  It's not a whole lot... 35-ft lbs, IIRC.  I don't believe that anyone following the Bentley procedure for tightening this bolt while using a torque wrench going only to 35 ft-lbs will break their cam slot.  And after trying other methods of tightening without the cam slot locked, I found the timing moved during tightening.  I will be sticking to the Bentley procedure.

I am in agreement with you guys that the cam locking tool should not be used when loosening the bolt.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #18March 28, 2005, 04:28:33 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 04:28:33 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
The slot can hold the required torque to tighten the cam bolt guys.  It's not a whole lot... 35-ft lbs, IIRC.  I don't believe that anyone following the Bentley procedure for tightening this bolt while using a torque wrench going only to 35 ft-lbs will break their cam slot.  And after trying other methods of tightening without the cam slot locked, I found the timing moved during tightening.  I will be sticking to the Bentley procedure.

I am in agreement with you guys that the cam locking tool should not be used when loosening the bolt.

While you're right in theory (practice actually ;o) It is still a fact that I've come across more people with a broken cam slot than people who've been hit by trees with rotten middles... There is the idea of fatigue and more commonly those torque wrenches with 'internal gubbins' can be so wrong that they're on a different planet. Those basic bar bending ones however, I find to be more consistant.
Judging by my stealerships price for heat shields goodness knows what they'd want for a cam :shock: It might be worth my while taking up 'breaking and entering' ..damn they never have the stock in anyway  :lol: I'd have to order the stuff and then do a raid :twisted:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #19March 28, 2005, 04:48:10 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 04:48:10 pm »
Just done a quick calculation shoot me down if I'm wrong but...
35 lb ft when applied to two edges at 1/2 inch centres remember the timing lock bar is a ***e fit :shock:  is (35x 12") / 1" *  = 420lb force

*1" is 2 lots of 1/2"

Loaded on those sharp corners...
how deep is the slot ? I havent stared at it recently :wink:  This is more leverage if the pressure is on the outer edge of the slot... which I think it is as the head casting will be pushing up andtwisting the bar...I feel more and more convinced as I write this... Picture wedging a jemmy in the end.  :idea: These leverages would reduce if the timing bar was a tight fit :idea:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #20March 28, 2005, 05:07:05 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 05:07:05 pm »
While you're right in theory (practice actually ;o) It is still a fact that I've come across more people with a broken cam slot than people who've been hit by trees with rotten middles...

Nearly everytime I read one of your posts I nearly pi$$ myself laughing.  Only a brit could come up with a bit like that... :lol:

Thank you for being a source of comic relief in my otherwise dull day of PLC programming...

Reply #21March 28, 2005, 05:26:42 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 05:26:42 pm »
While you're right in theory (practice actually ;o) It is still a fact that I've come across more people with a broken cam slot than people who've been hit by trees with rotten middles...

Nearly everytime I read one of your posts I nearly pi$$ myself laughing.  Only a brit could come up with a bit like that... :lol:

Thank you for being a source of comic relief in my otherwise dull day of PLC programming...

:shock: It takes a Canadian to find me funny; most GI's would be happy if I were an insect so that they could step on me :shock:

The thing is its very hard to go down to the local winebar and attract the flora by talking dirty when its diesel-dirt you're into;
so I'm trying to add color :wink:
 :evil: The missus still doesnt see the attraction of diesel and mathematics :evil:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #22March 28, 2005, 05:39:41 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 05:39:41 pm »
The missus still doesnt see the attraction of diesel and mathematics

Odd, that. Seems to be the same the world over. Perhaps they all share the same brain?

Reply #23March 28, 2005, 06:05:38 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 06:05:38 pm »
The missus still doesnt see the attraction of diesel and mathematics

Odd, that. Seems to be the same the world over. Perhaps they all share the same brain?

No, some just share a common hormone that seems to block logical thought.  :roll:

Reply #24March 28, 2005, 06:37:33 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 06:37:33 pm »
:
No, some just share a common hormone that seems to block logical thought.  :roll:

I can't agree Mike
:twisted: I look at Mary and I just think multiple NAND gate :evil:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #25March 28, 2005, 09:51:49 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 09:51:49 pm »
Quote from: "Mark(The Miser)UK"
:

I can't agree Mike

I'm not sure what you mean. I was simply referring to a lot of women (not my girlfriend) who are just irrational at times. No offense intended if that's what was understood.  :D

Reply #26March 29, 2005, 09:00:04 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 09:00:04 am »
Quote from: "Mark(The Miser)UK"
:

I can't agree Mike

HA!!   Yay for digital logic.  I knew that class would come in useful someday.
LOL!!!

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green