Author Topic: Where is the glow plug relay located on an 81' Caddy?  (Read 1994 times)

March 02, 2009, 05:07:46 pm

CaddyWVO

• User+

Where is the glow plug relay located on an 81' Caddy?
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »
We had a ton of rain the other night and somehow the water got into the cabin and I believe soaked the fuse panel. I have pulled the fuse panel out and tried unplugging some of the fuses and larger relays, but I'm really not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

After the engine starts the light stays on and when I am stopped at a traffic light with the head lights on, they dim and when I shut down, the battery is dead.

This is an 81' Rabbit Caddy and until the rain, the glow plugs worked normally (i.e. light comes one, then goes off, start the engine, light stays off). Now, when I turn on the ignition sometimes it comes on bright and other times it comes on in a diminished, and much lower intensity. I have been charging the battery for the past 24 hours. I also sprayed all of the relays and the front and back of the fuse panel with WD40 to make sure there was no water on the terminals, but perhaps I need to replace some relays since they got wet.

I have a manual, but the glow plug relay is not labeled in the picture of the fuse block, only in the electrical diagram. Can anyone please tell me where I should be looking for the glow plug relay?

Anyone have some thoughts?

Thanks for responding, Charlie

1981 VW Caddy 1.9L TD AAZ
GTI wheels w/R-134AC
Bilstein struts & Neuspeed springs front
Monroe Sensimatics rear
Eurosport upper and lower stress bars
Suspension Technology Anti-Sway front

Reply #1March 02, 2009, 08:36:14 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:36:14 pm »
it's up above the fuse panel. you can tell it by the really FAT red cables going in and out of the mounting block, something like 6 or 8 gauge.
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #2March 02, 2009, 11:45:03 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:03 pm »
The windshield gasket is where your leak is most likely, most all the old Rabbits and Caddys leak there eventualy.  Also when you seal it also seal the glass to rubber part too as they will leak both ways, mine did and yes it will keep ruining relays and corroding the fuse box not to mention rotting out the floor pan as the insulation stays wet long after the carpet looks dry. Just one more problem these little creatures have :lol:

Reply #3March 03, 2009, 02:27:01 am

AudiVWguy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 02:27:01 am »
Until I can take the whole stupid dash out, I carefully put a zip-lock bag above the fuse panel to divert the water. Now my left shoe gets wet........ :roll:

Reply #4March 03, 2009, 11:40:28 am

CaddyWVO

• User+

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:40:28 am »
You guys are kill'in me!

I'm 6' & 240lbs with shoulders, I can't even get that far under the dash to see this mysterious relay, let alone touch it or cover it with plastic!

That, and it has warmed up to 10°F with a windchill that catches you in the nether regions. I'm waiting for the sun to help me out a little.  :shock:
1981 VW Caddy 1.9L TD AAZ
GTI wheels w/R-134AC
Bilstein struts & Neuspeed springs front
Monroe Sensimatics rear
Eurosport upper and lower stress bars
Suspension Technology Anti-Sway front