Fixmyvw.com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbee here and just found this thread.
The link given is not working. Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.
it would seem a inj pump problem, air in the system would seem the most likely cause, is it possible you missing it?not seeing it? thats an easy case, air gets in, esp after a few minutes of sitting. usually an easy one, its usually the main seal, 1st that is. other seals may have problems as well. takes a while of cranking for the inj pump to get primed, again, and fuel (enough) to get to injectors. its also very possible an internal problem. <perhaps it takes a while for pump to build pressure up, and/or get on the intake,low pressure side, fuel to flow. then it never has free fuel flow, or enough pressure. id do a simple test. unhook inj lines @injectors. dont just crack. another thing you can do/i would do, relieve cyl pressure. either take out glow plugs, or injectors. in this, with inj lines off of injectors, you will crank, or if you take my advice, let engine turn freely, freewheel. let sit like you normally have problem. so maybe at least 1/2 hr sitting. you want to see whats coming out of that side on inj lines. crank freely for a while, if you think starter will, or could be a problem, feel for too much heat. theres really no pressure there, just turn it over and see whats coming out of your lines.
if you have glow plugs out, do not hook up inj lines to injectors!
IN bolt and OUT bolt in respective places?
When I read vanbcguys note I thought, yeah more likely air in the lines then compression.  But you say there is no air coming into or going out of the IP.  Correct?

So the only thing I would say is that low compression does not generally cause delayed hot restart.  But it will cause low power. 

So I would be checking the connections on the GP's, pull them all and see if they actually glow when 12 volts are applied.  Then make sure you get that when the key is turned on.  Just hook a meter to the buss bar or the fuse on the firewall.  Verify you have a good connection from battery to fuse to buss bar.  If you have not checked the ground straps on the trans and engine then do that as well.  Tis the season to be cleaning those. 

Injectors are suspect here as well.  So have you run some diesel purge through the system recently? 

Since you have the IP hooked to lines that are not part of the standard system you can figure out what the pumping volume is by letting it idle at about 1000 rpms and have the output from the IP go into a second container.  Do that for 90 seconds and see if you end up with close to a liter of diesel.  If you don't have that kind of volume I would be thinking along the line of the pressure regulator at the front of the pump being low.  You can correct that but it is a touchy thing and you do it with a punch and hammer.  Not exactly the fine tools you would think VW would use. 

Out of ideas until you tell me the results of the suggested fixes. 
IDI Engine / Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine
« Last post by epowell on October 18, 2017, 04:00:22 pm »
huh, i had looked, seems autohausaz has JX for 84 golf/jetta was mechanical head, NA. just a rough idea, perhaps inaccurate. was north america, over on the other side of the 'pond' have no idea. like i said i had at one time an 84 however this was a hydro head, NA.

Nope. TD, and mechanical head. There are tons of JX's in Europe. Very common. Also, in Europe Vanagons are called T3s...  or T25s in the UK.
IDI Engine / Re: Gearbox to match rebuilt 1.6TD JX engine
« Last post by epowell on October 18, 2017, 03:57:21 pm »
Having 5 speeds instead of 4 really improves drivability with the big box and a relatively low-powered engine.  Instead of acquiring more 4-speed boxes, I would get two 5-speeds (at least one of which currently works) and the appropriate linkage.  I would then do a quick swap of linkage and trans to the 5-speed.  Then rebuild the other one at leisure getting the gearing how you want it after having the experience with driving the 5-speed.     

That's sound advice. I will do more tranny searching...   a lot depends on what is available. ..   but I like your suggestion. I was driving today, and noticing how insanely short my tranny is!  It's fun...   but leads to high revs all the time.
« Last post by air-cooled or diesel on October 18, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »
huh, i had looked, seems autohausaz has JX for 84 golf/jetta was mechanical head, NA. just a rough idea, perhaps inaccurate. was north america, over on the other side of the 'pond' have no idea. like i said i had at one time an 84 however this was a hydro head, NA.
MK3 Golf/Jetta and B3/B4 Passat / Re: Petra Passat
« Last post by vanbcguy on October 18, 2017, 02:24:23 pm »
ok so now i need more info, cause as you all know i have at least 1 mk3. and im getting about 40mpg w/o a light foot at hiway speeds, 70mph or so. so what i had heard was an m-TDI may get 35mpg, so what else are you doing? cause you have performance options, i for one figure 5 gear, youve swapped in a higher one.
Transmission is a CTN code 02A from a TDI Passat... Nothing changed other than a rebuild and an LSD. Injectors are big honking 0.260 HFLOX. I have a large FMIC, decently free flowing exhaust (though it still has a muffler)... I have my pump set up to keep smoke to a minimum but she'll still blow black if I load it up before the turbo is ready and there's a decent haze behind me at full load.

I was 5.2L/100km on a trip mostly involving secondary highways across Washington state and BC - lots of mountain passes. 5.8L/100km on my last run to Portland and back on the I5 mostly 5-10 over the speed limit.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

IDI Engine / Re: Gearbox to match rebuilt 1.6TD JX engine
« Last post by libbydiesel on October 18, 2017, 01:25:25 pm »
Having 5 speeds instead of 4 really improves drivability with the big box and a relatively low-powered engine.  Instead of acquiring more 4-speed boxes, I would get two 5-speeds (at least one of which currently works) and the appropriate linkage.  I would then do a quick swap of linkage and trans to the 5-speed.  Then rebuild the other one at leisure getting the gearing how you want it after having the experience with driving the 5-speed.     
« Last post by libbydiesel on October 18, 2017, 01:21:26 pm »
JX as always turbo-charged and came only fitted to the Vanagon in other markets. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
NOLA Speed and Style