Fixmyvw.com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Issues with rad fan
« Last post by Pearl1990 on April 25, 2018, 09:39:20 pm »
I've got a 1990 golf with a 1.6na in it. The wiring between my rad fan, thermoswitch, and the relay is all ***. The fan has never properly worked since owning the car.

So now I'm trying to just run the relay to a switch on my dash that I can turn on when needed. I'm trying to test my fan to see if it's even working and I can't seem to get it to run. So coming directly from the fan, if I run the red/black or red/white to the positive battery terminal and the brown ground wire to the negative terminal, it should turn on right? I've also tested continuity in the wires and they're all good.

Electrical isn't my strongest skillset by the way...
IDI Engine / Re: Thoughts on a recent compression test
« Last post by libbydiesel on April 25, 2018, 07:22:12 pm »
Yes, you should ignore those bubbles. 
IDI Engine / Re: Thoughts on a recent compression test
« Last post by srgtlord on April 25, 2018, 08:09:07 am »
According to google diesel boils between 360680 F. I was seeing these air bubbles immediately after I started the vehicle after I installed the new injectors. Should I just ignore these diesel bubbles?
TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines / Re: 1Z constant white smoke
« Last post by libbydiesel on April 25, 2018, 01:37:39 am »
You need vag-com for timing the TDIs. 

Fix the fuel leak, double-check that the cam timing is spot on, double-check the pump timing.
« Last post by ORCoaster on April 24, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »
Deferring to someone with knowledge of TDI timing.  I don't know if the IDI method is the same.  Likely not as the age and engine is way better than something from the 1980's inventors.

IDI Engine / Re: Play in the Intermediate Shaft
« Last post by absenth on April 24, 2018, 07:47:49 pm »
Hmmm, after deglazing the cylinders will you be over the limit?  If I'm not mistaken, the spec is the piston to bore clearance.  If your used pistons are worn, that wear adds to the clearance.  If I'm reading your chart correctly it looks like cylinder 3 is over the spec for out-of-round  (III 1A and 1B difference is 0.0020).

All of that said if you deglaze and rering it, you'll probably get a lot more miles out of it.   

Yes, you are correct.

The Bentley says if there are variations of .002 or more among the measurements made in any one cylinder then it must be rebored for a larger piston. I took that as any measurement to another, not comparing 1A to 1B, 2A to 2B, etc. I thought 2,3 and 4 were over. I see where that wouldnt make sense when checking out-of-round.

Also, Ive mistaken the Grading groups for the repair groups. Ill circle back to Bentley reading 101 and rework my question.

I believe measurements in 2, 3 and 4 are above the third honing group of the Basic cylinder bore (3.0130).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by libbydiesel on April 24, 2018, 05:39:39 pm »
Hmmm, after deglazing the cylinders will you be over the limit?  If I'm not mistaken, the spec is the piston to bore clearance.  If your used pistons are worn, that wear adds to the clearance.  If I'm reading your chart correctly it looks like cylinder 3 is over the spec for out-of-round  (III 1A and 1B difference is 0.0020).

All of that said if you deglaze and rering it, you'll probably get a lot more miles out of it.   
« Last post by Tmarkle on April 24, 2018, 12:26:31 pm »
I think I misunderstood some of my readings. Can I adjust the TDI timing using my dial gauge for IDIs?
« Last post by Tmarkle on April 24, 2018, 12:11:35 pm »
It might be air in the lines or timing.  Best get out the dial gauge and see if it is advanced a bit too far or not far enough.
Can I adjust the timing on the tdi by tilting the pump? I thought Id need to use a computer to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by absenth on April 24, 2018, 11:18:53 am »
I've measured the cylinders. I'll measure them again as it was my first pass with the bore gauge and micrometer. I can't get it to format nicely on here. Here is a link to the file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YIMaKJdAOPPkioMTZ9lWQEpP_HhUahNA/view?usp=sharing 

Below are the largest measurements in each cylinder. In Inches.

Cylinder      I.   3.0130   II.   3.0135   III.   3.0140   IV.   3.0140

Variation           0.0015      0.0020      0.0025      0.0025

So my question is regarding boring the cylinders to the next larger size. Are there two independent measurements used to come to this decision?

One - is the variation in any one cylinder more than .0015? Then yes bore to the next size?

Two - Is the tolerance of the Standard size bore exceeded (3.0138) in any one cylinder? Then yes bore to the next size?

My measurments meet both of these. Am I getting this correct?

If the Standard bore measurement is 3.0122 with a wear limit of 3.0138, how can the next size bore measurement be 3.0126? The wear limit of the standard bore is larger than the next bore size. What am I not seeing? I know there are ring sizes to match piston size that I have not considered.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Fixmyvw.com