NOLA Speed and Style

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: Intermediate Shaft Not Fitting After Bearing Replacement
« Last post by fatmobile on December 10, 2017, 11:36:24 pm »
I-shaft seal carrier bolts are TTY?
 I use blue lock tite on them and the I-shaft pully bolt.
IDI Engine / Re: 11mm 1.6, are they that bad?
« Last post by fatmobile on December 10, 2017, 11:28:36 pm »
If you build a 1.5 you'll need a turbo.
 It just doesn't have enough power to handle a hill and a headwind.
IDI Engine / Re: 1.5 Diesel cutting out under acceleration
« Last post by ORCoaster on December 10, 2017, 11:01:48 pm »
It is pretty easy to string a new Blue wire to the Alternator from where it comes out of the ignition switch.  I am sure you can find a small hole in the firewall to pass it through.  There are several coming out already with some room in between the larger wires. 
MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k / Re: Seats for the Mk2
« Last post by ORCoaster on December 10, 2017, 10:59:46 pm »
I am not sure where you are located but this came up here in Oregon a bit back and is still for sale at 75 bucks.  Would be bulky to ship but not out of the question.  You might get it and use it as a model for the other passenger side. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/vw-universal-racing-seat/6395142277.html

Your seat bracket awaits you.
« Last post by Tmarkle on December 10, 2017, 10:58:04 pm »
I will check out the blue wire and see if there is a break or something along those lines. I thought about converting it to a GM 1 wire alternator but Iíd obviously rather just get the one on it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by rabbid79 on December 10, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »
And that's exactly my point.  While it may be true that LEDs have been used since the early 80's, they cannot be used as a drop-in replacement in an application that used an incandescent.

Unless you want and can remember to rev your cold motor up high enough to kick in the alternator.  If you forget, your battery will be exclusively supplying power until your alternator kicks in.

If you're in the habit of letting your car idle in the driveway on snowing mornings with the fan on, lights on, heated seats on, and rear defroster on, this won't do good things for your battery.  You may come out and find your battery almost dead, all because you forgot to rev the motor, which you shouldn't do on a cold start anyway.
« Last post by TylerDurden on December 10, 2017, 05:49:30 pm »
Easy way to tell if the exciter wire is bad (and they often are)... jumper a clip lead from the B+ (battery) wire to the D+ (exciter terminal). If the alternator immediately starts charging, the blue wire needs checking.

LEDs have been used in the exciter circuit since the early eighties. They require just be bit more rev (~1000-1300rpm) to kick the alternator.
« Last post by Tmarkle on December 09, 2017, 11:07:40 pm »
I know that the issue could be fixed by a simple head gasket replacement, but Iím itching to build a motor from the ground up!

« Last post by Tmarkle on December 09, 2017, 11:06:23 pm »
Just out of curiosity, is it worth it to rebuild a 1.5? This one runs pretty well as I said, but after putting some miles on it I see the head gasket is leaking some oil externally. There is not much blow by at all, so I think the cylinders are probably decent. Iím thinking with ARP headstuds it would be pretty good. Thoughts? If I do decide to rebuild it I would prefer to run with a turbo.

« Last post by Tmarkle on December 09, 2017, 10:17:41 pm »
If I really rev it up the lights really brighten up. There is no power to the blue exciter wire, so I think thatís my problem with the charging system.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Canada Catalys