S-PAutomotive.com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: Sharing my 1.6td project
« Last post by fatmobile on Today at 01:15:23 pm »
One way to check grounds is to crank on the starter for a while then feel the cable ends.
Bad cable connections get warm/hot.
 That ground to the trany is always suspect.
Running electricity through a bolt that goes into aluminum. Galvanic corrosion.

I like using the MK3 battery cables and running the engine ground right to the top starter mounting bolt.
« Last post by as4k on Today at 10:45:15 am »
carlisle, are you near central pa?

I am not but our club goes to the Import show in early May there every year, so I make the trek from Indiana out there.  Will be there with my other Audi later this week/weekend!  Its where the car in question first graced us with its presence :D
Parts for Sale/Wanted / IDI turbo to exhaust manifold bolts
« Last post by mammonista on Today at 10:36:08 am »
I have a mid-90s  AAZ motor that I bought aftermarket in about '01. The turbo attaches to the exhaust manifold with four 8mm -12 point bolts, two that are 27mm long and two that are somewhat longer. I've lost one of the 27mm bolts. Anyone have a spare or know of a supplier for these things? I'm thinking they're kinda unique.
« Last post by RabbitJockey on Today at 09:49:08 am »
carlisle, are you near central pa?
« Last post by as4k on May 06, 2024, 10:13:30 pm »
Maybe just check the battery terminals and the ground to the frame.  If the Alt is putting out the right amount of power then maybe it just isn't getting in to be stored as it should.

Ah, interesting thought.  So, where should the engine to body grounds be?  Honestly the only ground I can think of is the battery negative to the transmission bolt.  Since I got this car with pretty much nothing assembled I didnt even think about additional grounds. 
« Last post by ORCoaster on May 06, 2024, 09:41:45 pm »
Maybe just check the battery terminals and the ground to the frame.  If the Alt is putting out the right amount of power then maybe it just isn't getting in to be stored as it should. 
« Last post by as4k on May 06, 2024, 08:43:31 pm »
Sounds like you have a nice setup.
 Check to see if the alternator is putting out.
Cuz it probably should have charged the battery enough while running.

And as usual I forget some useful information :D.  I'll check again for sure.  The volt meter inside the car showed like it had good voltage but I'll check it at the battery.  Alternator is fairly new, not that it matters. 

Yes, the more space is outstanding.  I was doing rear brakes on my other Audi a few days ago and was in the driveway.  I had so much space and nobody around to watch me!  Def enjoying this so far and cannot wait to get the garage all sorted so we can fit some cars in there :)
« Last post by fatmobile on May 06, 2024, 05:39:03 pm »
Sounds like you have a nice setup.
 Check to see if the alternator is putting out.
Cuz it probably should have charged the battery enough while running.
« Last post by as4k on May 05, 2024, 11:15:40 pm »
Been a minute so I'll provide a small update.

We are now moved into our new house.  Both of my Audi's were actually the first things moved over, so that was nice.  The 4ktd was towed and I drove my other one.  We now have just a bit over 2 acres of land, a much larger attached garage, and room/plans to build a separate out building, so TONS of room for activities.
For the first time under my ownership and likely many years, the 4ktd sits outside, and doesnt look too shabby out there.  i hopped in the car last week after charging the battery in hopes to see if it would start and run.  A few cranks and a bit of help from the go pedal and it came to life.  I still have the odd surging idle, but it may just be the idle still needs adjusted up some.  Runs great though.
I made a few notes the last time the car ran.  Fuel leak from injector #4 where the rubber cap sits over the last port on top of the injector.  I cant tell if the actual nipple there is a bit tweaked or the cap just needs a small zip tie.  Either way I have another injector to toss in.  I need to tighten the turbo oil feed line a bit.  The clutch pedal wasnt returning all the way (but it is now), and the brake pedal is still hard.  So this means the vacuum pump may not have fixed the hard brake pedal issue.  I said screw it and ordered a new master and brake booster.  I hope to get this stuff replaced yet this month.  The only other oddity was that after letting the car run until the main cooling fan came on, I shut it down, then immediately tried to restart.  I got a very slow crank and no start.  I suspect the battery, which isnt 2 years old (but had a 2020 date on it) is toast.  I've done enough charging and jumping with it :)

I do owe you guys some updated photos and a video of it starting/running.  I also did acquire the correct crank bolt, so I'll take time to replace that.  I was really hoping to take this thing to Carlisle (which is this week) but moving sidelined ALL car related activities. 
Parts for Sale/Wanted / Re: Valve cover cup washers
« Last post by Dennis Froelich on May 04, 2024, 08:12:06 am »
Looks like Cascade German has them and Rockauto shows them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
S-PAutomotive.com