Fixmyvw.com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions / Re: Thoughts on mTDI AHU head porting
« Last post by fatmobile on October 25, 2024, 09:35:01 pm »
If you are talking about the spring connected to that front lever,
I believe it is a manual shut down lever.
 I don't think I should have removed mine, I think it kept the RPMs from rising.
IDI Engine / Re: '79 Rabbit L TDI
« Last post by fatmobile on October 25, 2024, 09:29:31 pm »
I don't see them either. Thought they were just taking too long to load.
 Is the brake proportioning valve the kind that's mounted in the engine bay or near the rear wheel?
IDI Engine / Re: 2.5 TD rattles, low power, low mpg
« Last post by fatmobile on October 25, 2024, 09:25:21 pm »
Rattles when accelerating could mean the timing curve is wrong.
Rattle at higher RPMs?
 Might need to add a shim to the cold start piston.
« Last post by oblique on October 25, 2024, 07:17:17 pm »
Am I the only one that cant see any pics?
« Last post by jhax on October 25, 2024, 07:12:38 am »
I moved the lever all the way forward so it no longer interacts with the collar, and it started both while cold and warm, so I think I resolved that issue. Next, I will address the hodgepodge of the boost hose. I crammed them together and shoved them over the intake manifold inlet. I'm maxing out at 9psi, and I can feel it taper off at higher RPM, so I suspect a boost leak.
IDI Engine / 2.5 TD rattles, low power, low mpg
« Last post by 67gtman on October 25, 2024, 03:36:16 am »
Alfa Romeo TD engine although rated for 85 kW is hardly half of that. Completely mechanical.
- Very weak in hilly roads.
- Never gets under 8.5L/100 km.
- Rattles when accelerating.
Tore it apart last summer, everything in perfect condition. Valves, pistons,  hydraulic lifters, journals, bearings, oil pump. Turbo overhauled, newly balanced. After assembly, rechecked cylinder pressures, oil pressure with mech gauge. Timing is fine tuned from the basic setting. Injectors connected to fuel line spray fuel evenly while cranking the engine.
Still it has lack of power. Turbo pressure is hardly 0.5 bar even when wastegate is disconnected. 100% sure does not leak. Additional fuel at the top of injection pump rotated to the Max setting - yet other setting makes no difference. AUX fuel lift pump does not help too.
What else would your try?
« Last post by drrtybyl on October 24, 2024, 10:55:27 pm »
Brakes were getting really soft

« Last post by drrtybyl on October 24, 2024, 10:51:26 pm »
More recently: in case you wanted to see what a leaking wolfsburg-made mk1 golf brake rear proportioning valve looks like

These are apparently unobtainable nowadays? Rebuild kit, part number, replacement, or workshop manual documentation are mysterious. A bunch of teflon tape at each connection seems to have fixed the leak for now. Future failure will probably result in swapping out with one of the many manual/non-suspension contingent aftermarket options
« Last post by drrtybyl on October 24, 2024, 10:41:35 pm »
To shorten this car's last decade-plus: after mostly putting everything back together, it became obvious that the junkyard IP also needed a rebuild, so this project went mTDI: the pump options were also much cheaper. I started with somebody's modded AAZ pump from ebay.

I ended up overhauling the head, re-ringing the block and getting injectors rebuilt with .216 nozzles. Turbo is K03 with manual control set to top around 20psi -- usually only sees 12-15. It's a large go kart that gets 40mpg+ flooring it. The best part of driving this car is how it continues pulling at the top end of 3rd and 4th under full boost. I'll add more photos of the rest of the build as I find them

Here's a random blurry shot of my 1.5 IP next to a Rover pump in 2012. it's hard to believe that a running 200tdi pump shipped from the UK in 2012 was a little over $200

A move put this project on hold but I gained garage space, where it sat and wouldn't ultimately make it onto the road for a while. At this point nearly everything has been replaced or rebuilt except the 020 [fingers crossed]. Brakes, suspension, fuel system, interior, etc, with other things still to replace (AC condenser).

Wish I'd had the following mTDI mk1 swap tl;dr (all documented in detail on this forum/tdiclub):

-PS engine mount is easily fabricated chopping down a stock mk1 mount
-Rover pumps need the IDI pump mounting bracket widened to fit hub. Use/mod an IDI rear mounting bracket
-Rover pump timing may not correspond to the AHU hub
-EGR mess should easily be deleted via blockoff plate
-mk1 pump throttle cable bracket needs chopping for the Rover pump
-downpipe may interfere with the 020 shift linkage- not sure how others handle this? For this car, reclocking the turbo and refactoring the downpipe wouldn't have created enough room. Here's the ~3" linkage offset I made to be able to shift into 5th on my F0 020

« Last post by jhax on October 24, 2024, 07:27:59 am »
Eh, okay. I took it for a drive last night. He is pokey and never made it above 8psi of boost. I suspect I need to up my boost controller a bit. I dont have the shift linkage lined up correctly, and the stick currently rests in the 4-5 plane as opposed to the 3-4 plane so I need to adjust that. Also, I have a LR300 injection pump on there with the initial start fuel spring that sits next to the LDA and runs parallel to the body of the IP. I have removed that spring and used the VW diesel throttle lever arm. Unfortunately because I am missing that spring the motor refuses to start when it's warm. It just belches black smoke and cranks over. I was talking with Andrew about it and he suggests to just remove the guts for that lever that reside on the inside of the pump top. I am hesitant because I think it was fatmobile who removed it on his pump and always had idling issues or hanging idle or something. Im hoping he can chime in on this one if he remembers.

EDIT: here is what I was referring to

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/109554-300tdi-fip-lever/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10